Thermostat issue - help please!

Featured Posts

Hi - Could somebody help us out with this please?

We've had leaky thermostat for a while and presumed the gasket had gone. Went to replace it today to find the housing has actually cracked and the previous owner has patched it up with some waterproof gunky stuff. Weirdly, there was no actual thermostat in the housing. Our engine is an Isuzu 4LC38 - I've tried searching around but can't find any parts to replace the housing. So I've turned to the wisdom that is this forum! Does anyone have any solution for how we can fix this? Shall we just reseal with whatever gunk was used by the previous owner? THANK YOU!

204906515_497153521565195_4937560098031318324_n.jpg

205124283_505410260670290_3827894871677889755_n.jpg

I don't know what those engines went into but somewhere in a scrapyard there will be some sort of 4WD with one of those. As for 'stats many engines have lost theirs in some faultfinding episode and never got a replacement. Better to replace it but not the end of the world if you don't.

Is this Isuzu Boat Engine Manual any help? If not, the thermostat housing itself  ought to be pretty freely available from the distributor as identified by @Tony Brooks above or maybe you can identify a vehicle or plant machine with the same engine.

https://read-download-books.com/ebook.html?pid=6&offer_id=524&ref_id=2efee99e443dd6d3516efd870c68y0Zo_2a5500e6_3f0e4cf5&sub1=2a5500e6&keyword=Isuzu Canal Boat Engine Manual&sub8=Isuzu Canal Boat Engine Manual&m=Isuzu Canal Boat Engine Manual

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A good chance that someone able to weld aluminium to fix the old one will be cheaper.

I tried to get Tony Redshaw at Braunston to weld one for me recently. Because it is a modern aluminium casting he was reluctant but would have a go and couldn't guarantee success. I ended up sourcing a replacement. This was for a Beta Bd3

@Tony Brooks might know but could you install any thermostat housing which has the mounting holes in the correct place and the pipe going off the correct way. But then install the temp guage switch sender in the pipe. There are kits on ebay to do this.

If you Google isuzu thermostat housing there are some for an isuzu rodeo that look like yours but the item is in Australia. 

Just now, Tonka said:

@Tony Brooks might know but could you install any thermostat housing which has the mounting holes in the correct place and the pipe going off the correct way. But then install the temp guage switch sender in the pipe. There are kits on ebay to do this.

If you Google isuzu thermostat housing there are some for an isuzu rodeo that look like yours but the item is in Australia. 

As long as the sender is not beyond a bend down in the hose it should work. The reason for that qualification is that if the thermostat failed to open, you would be relying on convection to get the hot water to the sender.

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I sent some brass stars for a Dutch Barge to NZ recently, quite heavy items and I think the cost was about £35, took a week to get there.

19 minutes ago, Tonka said:

That suggest that one from a UK Isuzu Trooper might fit. I doubt many non-Isuzu spares outlets would have it, so seek out an Isuzu vehicle agent in your part of the wols.

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Saw that but the one in the top photo has too many holes and 2 pipes.

The small hole and pipe is to run to an expansion tank so easily capped off with a short length of hose, a bolt and two hose clips. Hpwever, with no dimensions, It's hard to know if it will fit otherwise. I don't like the look of some in the Ebay image because it looks as if some have done a BMC and corroded to the studs.

• 2 weeks later...