Electric outboard on 18/19ft cruisers? Anyone have any tips?

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Does that mean that if you carry oars as well you can't get the discount?

I've got a long rope. At least bowhauling isn't propelling

How about twin motors if you need a bit more push

How about twin motors if you need a bit more push. There was a chap bumbling round with 2 on the back of a steel narrowboat

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The conditions for licence rebate do not actually say that :

Extract from the licencing T&Cs

Electric Motor 25% discount if the Boat has an electric motor as its sole means of propulsion.

Odana, lapsed member of this forum, fitted an electric outboard to a boat that was never going to move, because if the boat had no engine at all the full rate was payable, but with an electric outboard the discount was available. 

The boat was used as an office and spare bedroom - a very comfortable spare bedroom having stayed with them once or twice

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How about twin motors if you need a bit more push

How about twin motors if you need a bit more push. There was a chap bumbling round with 2 on the back of a steel narrowboat

Sounds sensible.They are light enough to simply clamp a second motor on the transom when on a river, providing there is enough space.

47 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Odana, lapsed member of this forum, fitted an electric outboard to a boat that was never going to move, because if the boat had no engine at all the full rate was payable, but with an electric outboard the discount was available. 

I've heard of owners of full length butties doing the same, even though a 40lb thrust trolling motor is never going to propel a full length boat at even minimal speed.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have no idea how well it performed 

image.png.8873797179dfb18480e12e100cb4bf0f.png

I imagine that it puts a whole new twist on 'move a mile every 14 days' when it takes that long to cover the distance. And probably as much use as a feather anchor at stopping it. But if that, a pole, a rope and a broken inboard diesel are all you've got then at least on a sheltered narrow canal it should be possible to get the boat moved the bare minimum.