Jump to content

Oxford Canal Flooding


Featured Posts

South Oxford closed at various points from Banbury southward due to flooding. River flowing into canal below Banbury lock and Shipton flood gate (the single gate before the bridge by Shipton Church) is closed. 

FB_IMG_1608824450092.jpg

Some numpty obviously ignored the fact the river was in red leaving Aynho weir lock and is now stranded.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=216769546763823

And someone tried to go up through Banbury lock🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

South Oxford closed at various points from Banbury southward due to flooding. River flowing into canal below Banbury lock and Shipton flood gate (the single gate before the bridge by Shipton Church) is closed. 

FB_IMG_1608824450092.jpg

Some numpty obviously ignored the fact the river was in red leaving Aynho weir lock and is now stranded.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=216769546763823

And someone tried to go up through Banbury lock🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Yeah the usual spot for numpties. I moor just above the lock and its a tad damp this year, canoeists only through the lock lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mrsmelly said:

Yeah the usual spot for numpties. I moor just above the lock and its a tad damp this year, canoeists only through the lock lol.

It's not yet so bad that they can canoe round it, then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Athy said:

Is that just above the deep lock? If so, it's a lovely mooring, though I don't remember the lake view.

About half a mile from the deep lock. Near to the village. The lake isn’t normally there to be honest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is that just above the deep lock? If so, it's a lovely mooring, though I don't remember the lake view.

The river is over to the right near the trees, we use to stop there and walk the dog along the river.

image.png.aba58d4efdb19d0c20fa17347e64b1c3.png

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to three videos I took the other day. Should work??

 

The meadows are a flood plain but not usually this much. I know the Great Western Arms at Aynho was flooded for the first time in 12 years according to the owner.

 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb475l004x440h5/20201224164622.m2ts?dl=0

 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vemb31hj2i7fb7g/20201224164735.m2ts?dl=0

 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro7y0jirjfm1nji/20201224164101.m2ts?dl=0

 

Edited by Markinaboat
possible onset of dementia!
Link to post
Share on other sites

The level is falling quite rapidly at the moment. Hope theres no more rain though :o

On 24/12/2020 at 15:43, Dave123 said:

South Oxford closed at various points from Banbury southward due to flooding. River flowing into canal below Banbury lock and Shipton flood gate (the single gate before the bridge by Shipton Church) is closed. 

FB_IMG_1608824450092.jpg

Some numpty obviously ignored the fact the river was in red leaving Aynho weir lock and is now stranded.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=216769546763823

And someone tried to go up through Banbury lock🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

That boat is alongside now and path visible.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.