Survey or not??

Jax48

Featured Posts

It probably isn't worth getting a surveyor in, but one thing I would do is check the maximum width. I know of a few new builds that wouldn't fit in Hurleston Bottom lock. And as for having a surveyor in to check your build - mine wouldn't have fitted either if the surveyor hadn't picked it up. He also insisted on some extra welding on the ribs and a few other things. Just because it is a new build doesn't mean it is built right.

Best advice so far. Chat to the builder. Were R&D the builders who experimented with the interesting shaped stern swim?

:lol: sorry.

yes it was and if you talk with dave he will tell you what he thinks of it but thats a different story

Morning all!!

We've accepted an offer on our house - and, after an extensive search for our 'liveaboard' boat, have seen one that we really like at Nottingham Marina. It's a 2006 semi-trad but has only done 18 hours from new. The guy who had it built was taken ill before it was finished and has since moved to Greece in the hope that his health will improve.

The inside has never been used and when the marina picked it up, just over a month ago, from where the boat was originally moored it had done 9 hours - so I guess you could say it's new build. It has got it's current RCD and BSS certificates and is licensed until July 2008 - my question is should we have a survey done?

Also, the final paint coat on the outside was never done - is this something we could attempt ourselves or should we get it done professionally?? There are rolls & rolls of coach striping sitting in the wardrobe waiting to be put on!!

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Jackie

Just picked up your question - Should I get a new boat surveyed? The answer is YES. My partner and I bought a brand new boat for 50k with all the correct paperwork, including the boat manual. We were over the moon with our dream boat. Then disaster!! Two days after we picked up the boat it jammed solid in a lock. All the documentation said it was a 6ft 10 inch beam, but when the boat was finally rescued from the lock and measured, it was over 7feet wide and bowed. So take nothing at face value. We assumed beacuase it was a new boat everything would be fine, so we decided against a survey. We got a complete refund with no quibble, and have since bought another boat. YES we did get it surveyed this time. It cost £570 for a full survey and £150 to go into dry dock. Was it worth it? Yes.

Just picked up your question - Should I get a new boat surveyed? The answer is YES. My partner and I bought a brand new boat for 50k with all the correct paperwork, including the boat manual. We were over the moon with our dream boat. Then disaster!! Two days after we picked up the boat it jammed solid in a lock. All the documentation said it was a 6ft 10 inch beam, but when the boat was finally rescued from the lock and measured, it was over 7feet wide and bowed. So take nothing at face value. We assumed beacuase it was a new boat everything would be fine, so we decided against a survey. We got a complete refund with no quibble, and have since bought another boat. YES we did get it surveyed this time. It cost £570 for a full survey and £150 to go into dry dock. Was it worth it? Yes.

Can you tell us who built it so that we can cross them off of ther list!!!

Next time you want the beam of a boat measured for £570 give me a shout <_<

Next time you want the beam of a boat measured for £570 give me a shout :lol:

Can you tell if the sides are straight and parallel too?

Seriously, I'm with Pimps on this one. If you are spending upwards of 60 grand (and the rest, probably) don't even think of saving a measly few hundred squid when the stakes are so high.

It's a no-brainer, IMO. Surveyors have PI insurance against getting it wrong. They almost always don't get it wrong, though.

Ian

Too wide boats have been built, (There is a in the trade story about someone actually building them at 7' because they thought that's what it should be.) another scenario is banana builds where the bow or stern is out of line.

This can have the same effect in a lock.

Pointing out the obvious but a boat on the water is far less likely to show off its less than perfect features than when you can look down it on land, next time you visit a show try looking down the gunnel of the boats exhibited you might be surprised how straight some are and others not! (And price will have very little significance on what you find.)

Putting my neck on the block after working with too very good surveyors recently if it was me spending the money I would have a survey done. If it serves just to confirm what a great boat it is then yes you have spent some money but you can sleep easy, if faults are found then the brokers will have the expense of correcting them not you.

Can you tell if the sides are straight and parallel too?

Seriously, I'm with Pimps on this one. If you are spending upwards of 60 grand (and the rest, probably) don't even think of saving a measly few hundred squid when the stakes are so high.

It's a no-brainer, IMO. Surveyors have PI insurance against getting it wrong. They almost always don't get it wrong, though.

Ian

I don't recall any surveyor I've ever had checking that the sides were parallel, and yes I can see if they're straight and so can you!

If it's such a no-brainer then why do so many people buying new builds do so without the use of a surveyor - they can't all be missing brains? Similarly on this forum the opinion is quite divided as to whether a survey is required for a new boat.

Surveyors may have insurance against getting it wrong, they also have a mutitude of clauses and caveats in their contracts. Just try to get any recourse against a surveyor's mistakes and see how far you get. There are good surveyors and mediocre surveyors and in my experience the mediocre ones get it wrong quite a lot of the time.

Edited by blackrose

I don't recall any surveyor I've ever had checking that the sides were parallel, and yes I can see if they're straight and so can you!

If it's such a no-brainer then why do so many people buying new builds do so without the use of a surveyor - they can't all be missing brains? Similarly on this forum the opinion is quite divided as to whether a survey is required for a new boat.

When I bought my new boat I had a survey, why, because I'm not a expert. My surveyor, a good one I believe, was working for me not the boatbuilder, his opinion was unbiased. I looked at lots of boats before deciding on the one we bought, so why did we pick that one, because we both liked it from the first time we saw it. So do you let your heart rule your head or do you get a second opinion from someone who knows about boats and is using his head, yes you are right a surveyor might miss something but he's less likely to than a buyer with rose tinted specs on.

Ken

At this age we aren't talking corrosion so I cant see the point in dry docking it hopefully any good surveyor will be fairly aware of the reputation of the hull builder (They do talk to one another!) so without they have concerns it shouldn't be really necessary. Fit out, Engine installation and documentation are much more likely to be the concerns with a boat this age.

Unfortunately unlike with a new build they are unlikely to get access to the proof of the pedigree of the boat that is contained in the technical file that needs to be held on record by law for 10 years by the builder. Boaters seem oblivious to this fact that gives them a unbelievably simple test of if their potential boat builder is doing the job right or not! If they just asked to see an example of the file for a boat in build it would be that simple. (Unfortunately boaters and money are dangerous and they love throwing their hard earned cash into what is often a game of Russian roulette! :lol::lol::cheers: )

Yes to both.

Dave Clark is a good builder, he built my boat and I don't have any problems with it. I still had it surveyed as Gary said the hull should be fine but Dave did not do the fit out. The other option is a value for money survey, surveyors see lots of boats and have a good idea of the state of the market. I had my boat surveyed in Penkridge by Paul Smith did a good job and produced an excellent written report. Have a look at his web site http://www.narrowboatsurveys.co.uk

Ken

Ok - so dare I ask - is anyone prepared to or can anyone recommend a good surveyor in the Nottingham area???

Don't all jump down my throat!!!!!

We used Steve Hand of Hands-on-Marine at Sawley Marina, Long Eaton, and were well pleased with his attention to detail. He took five and a half hours to complete the survey and his report was with us within two days. You can contact Steve on 0790 8885034 (mobile) or 0115 946 2225 (landline) He also has an e-mail address: steve@handsonmarine.com and a web site: www.handsonmarine.com Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Scarlet Pimpernel - have you only just bought your boat? We were looking at a Scarlet Pimpernel but it sold before we were able to sell our house. Could it be the same one? 57' cruiser stern - Liverpool hull - Used Boat Co fitout?

Unfortunately unlike with a new build they are unlikely to get access to the proof of the pedigree of the boat that is contained in the technical file that needs to be held on record by law for 10 years by the builder. Boaters seem oblivious to this fact that gives them a unbelievably simple test of if their potential boat builder is doing the job right or not! If they just asked to see an example of the file for a boat in build it would be that simple. (Unfortunately boaters and money are dangerous and they love throwing their hard earned cash into what is often a game of Russian roulette! :lol::lol::cheers: )

Hi Gary,

Does the technical file include detailed diagrams of all the plumbing and 12v and mains wiring at all?

cheers,

Pete.