Survey or not??

Jax48

Featured Posts

Hey - it looks to be a great boat - exactly what we were looking for - the lady at the brokerage sent me details of all the boats on a dvd but she woudln't let us look at Scarlet Pimpernel until we'd got a buyer for our house - are you living on it?

Hi Gary,

Does the technical file include detailed diagrams of all the plumbing and 12v and mains wiring at all?

cheers,

Pete.

Well they should be in the owners manual firstly but copies need also be held on record in the tech file by the builder too!

The technical file is in effect legal proof of the builders compliance to the relevant standards in manufacturing the boat especially scantlings, stability etc where if needed in evidence the tech file must be able to give proof based on calculations, tests and photographic records etc.

In reality the tech file is the builders get out of jail card if something nasty happens and the finger is pointed at the builder. In that case he needs to be able to demonstrate his compliance hence the legal requirement to keep these records.

If you can't demonstrate your compliance then I think it is fairly obvious when you're stood in court that things will be looking a bit grim! :lol:

I doubt any builder will be 100% perfect on this but it is such a simple thing to drop the question about when looking at potential builders. Their responce will give a very good insight into how they operate.

Remember the need to abide by the law is not optional!

Or is it? I have a boat building friend who completely does ignore it, he says it saves the customer money! I can't argue with him on that after all he's been building boats 40 years, but I don't think he gets the full picture either! :lol:

Edited by Gary Peacock

Hey - it looks to be a great boat - exactly what we were looking for - the lady at the brokerage sent me details of all the boats on a dvd but she woudln't let us look at Scarlet Pimpernel until we'd got a buyer for our house - are you living on it?

Not at the moment, but we are currently making plans to let the house and take a year out cruising. Looks like you are intending to do the same.

If you can't demonstrate your compliance then I think it is fairly obvious when you're stood in court that things will be looking a bit grim! :lol:

I doubt any builder will be 100% perfect on this but it is such a simple thing to drop the question about when looking at potential builders. Their responce will give a very good insight into how they operate.

Remember the need to abide by the law is not optional!

Or is it? I have a boat building friend who completely does ignore it, he says it saves the customer money! I can't argue with him on that after all he's been building boats 40 years, but I don't think he gets the full picture either! :lol:

OTOH I understand that smoke and CO alarms are not required for RCD compliance...

If so, setting legalities aside for a second, what is more important?

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Well the reality is that smoke, Co & LPG should be mandatory and may well be so in the future, but retro fitting them is a relatively simple cheap task. The Essential Requirements that legally have to be met are potentially the sources of the things those detectors detect and if the boat is botched in those requirements obviously the costs and implications could be far worse!

Well the reality is that smoke, Co & LPG should be mandatory and may well be so in the future, but retro fitting them is a relatively simple cheap task. The Essential Requirements that legally have to be met are potentially the sources of the things those detectors detect and if the boat is botched in those requirements obviously the costs and implications could be far worse!

Well AFAICT the 'Lindy Lou' met the RCD requirements Cat D as well as the BSS.

cheers,

Pete.

Well AFAICT the 'Lindy Lou' met the RCD requirements Cat D as well as the BSS.

cheers,

Pete.

But with a bit of luck it would not meet the new BS standard and if that makes the installation of stoves without a serious review of common practises less viable then in the interests of preserving life that must be the way to go?

The fitter who installed the stove did nothing illegal the results (If even attributed to the installation which they weren't.) were tragic but without clear guidelines, rules and enforcement they did nothing that many other builders are still doing at this moment!

The problem with the UK is the loss of life that could be prevented is a big issue while in a lot of places in the world I have worked it is a shrug of the shoulders and "God's" will! :lol:

Maybe we have just got the bigger picture wrong?

The problem with the UK is the loss of life that could be prevented is a big issue while in a lot of places in the world I have worked it is a shrug of the shoulders and "God's" will! :cheers:

Maybe we have just got the bigger picture wrong?

:lol: It does take a British company to challenge poor practice in foreign countries.

We are about to move into a prestige high rise office block. It has 2 protected stair wells which form the fire escapes. At the last inspection most of the doors to the stairwells were wedged open, the stairs were used to throw paper rubbish, and the stairwells were used as smoking areas. DUHHH!!!! :lol:

I remember inspecting a wooden sole factory in Spain a few years back (I used to have to do audits).

Everyone working there was smoking, despite the whole factory being knee deep in sawdust. The company barbecue was pushed up right against the (wooden) back wall of the factory.

Who was it on another thread who said 'light touch paper and stand well back?' :lol: