Middlewich Flashes

dor

Featured Posts

Well, I never thought they would get PP for it, but apparently it has gone through

This from Narrowboatworld :

"DESPITE many objections, the most attractive of the flashes on the Trent & Mersey Canal at Middlewich is to be turned into a marina.

The objections were on the basis that a marina would spoil the unique beauty of the area, but Vale Royal planning department allowed the development after resubmission of the planning application.

With five new marinas in the past four years on the canal, this waterway is the most intensive for moored craft in the country."

This is a popular spot, every bit as good as Tixall Wide and other picturesque spots. To put a marina in there seems like madness, but these days planning permission seems to be given to just about any development (could it be, oh cynical me, the size of the backhanders?).

Although it is not clear yet exactly where in the flashes the marina will be built, it can do nothing but harm to a delightful area, not to mention adding to the congestion getting through Middlewich, only a couple of miles down the canal.

I was one of the objectors to the planning application on the basis of too many marinas in the area, no obvoius shortage of moorings and especially the permanent change to the unique natural beauty of the area. When I started a thread on this board to support the blocking of the marina there were no responses. So to those who want a nice marina berth here you will get one but I doubt there will be any change from £2300 pr annum for a 57ft boat. Fortunately this marina is not in the biggest flash which will remain unspoilt for the moment at least

Charles

Arggghhhhh :D

Which flash is the new marina going to be in? I sometimes get mixed up with the names. Will it be the one with the old wooden FMC boat in, or will it be the one next door, about 2 mins south, or will it be the one further up near Croxton?

I suppose it doesn't matter where it goes, it's still going to ruin the area :D

Well thats a bit bloody rubbish isnt it.

- I havnt to admint, i didnt do much about the proposted planning this time round, everyone seams that sure it wouldnt come to pass after it failed prevously.

- What an absolute joke, this sort of thing really does just make you want to wonder why anyone bothers. FFS.

*edited:

The orignal planning application was was for billing green flash, as i bealve this one is also. There are photo in the past thread with the same title.

As opposed to the far more logical application for a smaller marine in crappy feild a way up the canal by some pipe bridges. But there we go. Commonsence:Nill StupidMoronsInPower:One.

Daniel

The letter I got from the planning authority states its "canal and associated amenety buildings and car park, Land at Higgins Lane Farm Davenham Rd Rudheath by Ribble Developments"

I think its the first one heading towards Northwich but am not certain, to me destroying the character of any of the 3 flashes is unaceptable

Charles

Charles if it's that one then there's at least one Otter which will be made homeless sad.gif

If there is a resident otter, that would almost certainly be enough to stop the development on evironmental grounds. If you have evidence of an otter (or two), then contact the local wildlife or conservation group who could start things moving (or rather, stop things moving).

ah, very interesting: the website is a standard planning portal that almost all local authorities use: as usual, the commitee report isn't on there (it will probably be available elsewhere on the website) commitee reports usually contain the reasoning behind the officer recommendation on an application.

It looks like they've done very little work to develop the proposal despite it being a detailed application. The list of conditions is considerable for a small developement and as it covers things like renewable energy may well make the development unviable. Planning authorities are not allowed to simply say "over our dead body": in legal terms that is "fettering their discretion". Vale Royal have put a very long list of conditions that must be complied with, presumably on the basis that if the developer can comply with that lot the development is "acceptable": sort of.

bear in mind the T&M is a cnservation area and therefore Vale Royal may take the view that developing a new marina elsewhere is more damaging to the conservation area than using the flash: I don't agree with this but it is a valid position they could take.

On the decision notice Note to Applicant 3 intrigues me

The applicant is advised of the need to discuss the proposal with British Waterways and obtain consent from them for the approved scheme.

This means that Vale Royal have no evidence of BW's approval of the scheme at all, and probably BW's new marina unit have not been involved. For a variety of reasons, BW may not be happy: including the surfiet of moorings in the area already. Vale Royal would not be allowed to take this into account, it isn't their problem.

ah, very interesting: the website is a standard planning portal that almost all local authorities use:

Well it's a pretty awful one IMHO

On the decision notice Note to Applicant 3 intrigues me

The applicant is advised of the need to discuss the proposal with British Waterways and obtain consent from them for the approved scheme.

This means that Vale Royal have no evidence of BW's approval of the scheme at all, and probably BW's new marina unit have not been involved. For a variety of reasons, BW may not be happy: including the surfiet of moorings in the area already. Vale Royal would not be allowed to take this into account, it isn't their problem.

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the application was supported by BW.

Tim

I was one of the objectors to the planning application on the basis of too many marinas in the area, no obvoius shortage of moorings and especially the permanent change to the unique natural beauty of the area. When I started a thread on this board to support the blocking of the marina there were no responses. So to those who want a nice marina berth here you will get one but I doubt there will be any change from £2300 pr annum for a 57ft boat. Fortunately this marina is not in the biggest flash which will remain unspoilt for the moment at least

Charles

I responded by emailing my objections.

Nick

If there is a resident otter, that would almost certainly be enough to stop the development on evironmental grounds. If you have evidence of an otter (or two), then contact the local wildlife or conservation group who could start things moving (or rather, stop things moving).
No proof as such, only what I saw... was sat fishing behind the boat when the bugger shot out of the water rather like a killer whale, and then back in again... I didn't get wet though as I'd already fell over backwards off my stool in shock :lol: I will try and find out where the local wildlife group hang out and let them know about it. Does anyone have any info?

Edited to add...

Just found the Original topic

Edited by Liam

Despite canal boating for some 30 years, it was only this year we went through the flashes, just so cool and yes, shame to lose one -is it just one? - but maybe we are the victim of our own success with the canal system? Being popular means developments and , yes, some folks will make ££ out of it, but that's the way of the world whether we like it or not I guess.

No proof as such, only what I saw... was sat fishing behind the boat when the bugger shot out of the water rather like a killer whale, and then back in again... I didn't get wet though as I'd already fell over backwards off my stool in shock :lol: I will try and find out where the local wildlife group hang out and let them know about it. Does anyone have any info?

Are you quite sure it wasn't a mink?

Tim

Are you quite sure it wasn't a mink?

Tim

Yes quite sure. I mentioned this to a friend who said he already knew about the otter at the flashes and suprised I hadn't seen it or heard about it before.

Yes quite sure. I mentioned this to a friend who said he already knew about the otter at the flashes and suprised I hadn't seen it or heard about it before.

No toilet humour here folks but....

If anyone finds any droppings in the area that are similar to a foxes (or small dogs) but smell very sweet, they are almost certainly otter and the natural history dept of your local museum (or local wildlife society) can confirm this, if you take them a sample.

(Note, I am happy to discuss my interest in the excrement of mammals and raptors in another thread but not here please)

Well from this it looks as though there may be a case. I don't have the slightest idea on who to contact regarding this so any pointers most welcome :lol:

Liam you may like to try these people, even if they cannot help I am sure they can point you in the direction of someone who can!

http://www.cheshirewildlifetrust.co.uk/

I'll drop them an email. Many thanks Boatchad.

Peter, the flashes in question are on the Trent & Mersey Canal between Middlewich and Northwich. They have been caused due to brine pumping and have caused the offside banks to sink below the water line of the cut forming what looks like large lakes.

Here's a few pics...

flash1.jpg

flash2.jpg

flash3.jpg

flash4.jpg

flashes.flash5.jpg

Despite canal boating for some 30 years, it was only this year we went through the flashes, just so cool and yes, shame to lose one -is it just one? - but maybe we are the victim of our own success with the canal system? Being popular means developments and , yes, some folks will make ££ out of it, but that's the way of the world whether we like it or not I guess.

For an example of 'development' I offer the Napton Junction area. In the last 4 or 5 years a new marina has been built at Wigrams Turn and large extensions to Ventnor Farm and Calcutt. The entrance to Calcutt is right at the bottom of the locks: we were 5th in the queue to go up the locks recently and boats were queuing to get out of Calcutt marina!! Happy boating to all in that area!