Jump to content

My boat-to-be has a stove that I cannot seem to find info on


Featured Posts

Hi all,

I am very, very new to the world of narrowboats.  Hopefully getting my boat within two or three weeks.

I am posting on the forum because I am unable to identify the make and model of the multi-fuel stove on my boat-to-be. The boat's specification booklet says it's called an Olivia and was supplied by Northern Fabrications.  I emailed Northern Fabrications asking about this stove.  They emailed back and Eddie said that he's never heard of it.

I cannot find a stove called Olivia on the Internet, so far - or it's going to take a much thorough search.  I have also looked at hundred of images of stoves in the hope of seeing another like it.

Please see the attached photo and hopefully someone may recognise it.

 

Thank you in advance

Unix

Olivia-photo.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably incorrect but it looks like a small domestic stove to me (probably made more for 'decoration'  than practical use..

 

I think my local Ag: mrechants had something similar some years ago before folks started to buy larger one more suitable for domestic use.

 

Were you in need of parts - or planning ahead?

 

 Here's something nearer your rescription - eye watering price -

https://www.lawton-imports.co.uk/shop/godin-cast-iron-multifuel-petit-godin-3720-5kw-small-round/

Edited by OldGoat
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to the first two people to comment.

I did compare this stove with other images and see that it does appear to have a French look about it - which I quite like.

Not liking that it may be more for looks than practical purposes haha - Winter will tell.

..still a mystery...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Unix said:

Thank you to the first two people to comment.

I did compare this stove with other images and see that it does appear to have a French look about it - which I quite like.

Not liking that it may be more for looks than practical purposes haha - Winter will tell.

..still a mystery...

 

I didn't like to say, but the fireback most likely wont fit the regulations - more importantly the areas beyond the tiles are likely to get scorched.

I think if you're using wood you'll be constantly filling it up.

To me the flue pipe is rather large - probably used to fit the roof collar rather than to get the fire to draw?

 

Here's something nearer  but eye watering price:-

https://www.lawton-imports.co.uk/shop/godin-cast-iron-multifuel-petit-godin-3720-5kw-small-round/

Edited by OldGoat
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I didn't like to say, but the fireback most likely wont fit the regulations - more importantly the areas beyond the tiles are likely to get scorched.

I think if you're using wood you'll be constantly filling it up.

To me the flue pipe is rather large - probably used to fit the roof collar rather than to get the fire to draw?

Don't worry, I won't be offended with critical comments.  I'd rather have some information ahead of the purchase.

The boat will be surveyed quite soon and it's also having the Safety Certificate renewed at the same time.  The surveyor seems well regarded from coming across his name when doing general reading in the forums.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you blackrose.  My wife and I are going to buy the boat regardless.  We have heard is said many times (as you have here) that a boat is rarely 100% the one you want.  The stove wasn't an issue until I tried looking it up on the Internet.  I only hear about the brand Morso so thought I'd see what Olivia do.

I'm thinking now that the stove may have been replaced since the original build.  Maybe I'm over-thinking it now 🐵

I will certainly research an alternative stove just in case this one fails the Safety Certificate.

Thank you for your input..

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I didn't like to say, but the fireback most likely wont fit the regulations - more importantly the areas beyond the tiles are likely to get scorched.

 

 

It's worth checking whether there's any fire retardant board behind the tiles. You might need to remove a tile to do that or just inspect on one of the edges down at the bottom in an inconspicuous area. If it has fire retarded board behind it's probably fine. That's all mine has and it's been good for the past 15 years. Air gaps behind the board are a bit overrated in my opinion. More important is the distance between the stove and the tiles/board.

 

Also it will be easy enough to extend the tiled area with more board & tiles. You could find different colour tiles and make it look quite good, but as I said, tiles must have a fire retardant board behind.

1 minute ago, Unix said:

Thank you blackrose.  My wife and I are going to buy the boat regardless.  We have heard is said many times (as you have here) that a boat is rarely 100% the one you want.  The stove wasn't an issue until I tried looking it up on the Internet.  I only hear about the brand Morso so thought I'd see what Olivia do.

I'm thinking now that the stove may have been replaced since the original build.  Maybe I'm over-thinking it now 🐵

I will certainly research an alternative stove just in case this one fails the Safety Certificate.

Thank you for your input..

 

If it does turn out to be a practical stove to use you'll have something different there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

 

Looks like a modern take on the Charles Portway 'Tortoise' stoves.

$_86.JPG

Wow, my stove does look like it's been modeled on the Charles Portway 'Tortoise' stove.  Thank you for the photo and the info!

I'm going to look into it being a possible retro-type stove.

Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check that your stove is screwed down to the floor. I can see some screw heads on the rim at the bottom but can't tell if they're just decorative. Also if you post a picture of the flue people can advise you if it's a good installation. As someone said, it looks like a relatively large diameter flue which isn't a problem in itself. What you don't want however, are cemented joins in the flue as is the case with vitreous enamel which only comes in max 1.2m lengths for example. You need a one piece flue from stove to deck (roof) collar - welded joints are fine.

Edited by blackrose
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

 

At a price!

 

 

A price which is likely to be fairly insignificant when compared to the price of the boat. It's a diy job for most reasonably competent people and you'll always get some help from others. Nice looking second hand stoves can be sold at a price too, which should help offset installation of a new one.

Edited by blackrose
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, matty40s said:

Very nice .

It's almost in a French retro style (a la Godin, Faure etc), however, the door and ash pan are very English style......the ornateness continues throughout on the proper European stoves.

Good luck.

a lot more attractive than my northern fabrications stove. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, blackrose said:

Check that your stove is screwed down to the floor. I can see some screw heads on the rim at the bottom but can't tell if they're just decorative. Also if you post a picture of the flue people can advise you if it's a good installation. As someone said, it looks like a relatively large diameter flue which isn't a problem in itself. What you don't want however, are cemented joins in the flue as is the case with vitreous enamel which only comes in max 1.2m lengths for example. You need a one piece flue from stove to deck (roof) collar - welded joints are fine.

I only have photos at the moment so can't check the screws but I will look the next time I see her.  I will look out for cemented joints - thank you.

I have attached another photo of the stove showing the whole set-up.  Hopefully the flue size can be roughly estimated from this?

Thinking about moving the stove - there must be a limit on how far from the vertical a flue can be installed; with regulations etc.  I'd like to keep the same roof exit for the flue if I can.  It will be an easier job plus keeping the same roof hole saves a lot of work.

If I wanted to move the stove, say, two feet to the right, (and keeping the same roof exit) do you think the flue pipe angle will not be too shallow?  I know it may not look great if the flue runs diagonally across the wall but it will help with the layout that I want.  It may be that I get on the boat and like it where it is but It would be good to know the options I have available.

Thank you.

 

Olivia-flue.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Unix said:

Thinking about moving the stove - there must be a limit on how far from the vertical a flue can be installed; with regulations etc.  I'd like to keep the same roof exit for the flue if I can.  It will be an easier job plus keeping the same roof hole saves a lot of work.

If I wanted to move the stove, say, two feet to the right, (and keeping the same roof exit) do you think the flue pipe angle will not be too shallow?  I know it may not look great if the flue runs diagonally across the wall but it will help with the layout that I want.  It may be that I get on the boat and like it where it is but It would be good to know the options I have available.

Thank you.

 

 

 

I think you're ok with two 45 degree angles in the flue. But do you have to strep over that hearth, to get through to the galley area?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I think you're ok with two 45 degree angles in the flue. But do you have to strep over that hearth, to get through to the galley area?

The edge of the hearth tiling nearly approaches halfway into the middle of the floor but isn't noticeable when walking around.  As well as moving the stove to the right I'd also like to rotate the stove clockwise about 45 degrees. By doing that I'll be able to set the stove back to the wall a little bit because the rear exiting flue will no longer be pointing directly towards the wall. I know it won't be a huge difference but it will look better and give that extra little precious space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Unix said:

The edge of the hearth tiling nearly approaches halfway into the middle of the floor but isn't noticeable when walking around.  As well as moving the stove to the right I'd also like to rotate the stove clockwise about 45 degrees. By doing that I'll be able to set the stove back to the wall a little bit because the rear exiting flue will no longer be pointing directly towards the wall. I know it won't be a huge difference but it will look better and give that extra little precious space.

 

Stepping over an hearth is not a fun idea. I'd be more inclined to cut some away a drop a fireproof surface into the floor to keep the floor space for walking over and still retain protection from cinders. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.