Removal of paint to steel

Petalsnow

Featured Posts

What would you recommend to take off the paint on the side walkways along the narrowboat? Eg. Where you walk along that has the sandy paint for grip. Fast stripping metal disks seem to work well on the angle grinder for in the corners. Taking back to metal. 

A scrabbler was my immediate thought but on reflection maybe not. Having  recently taken my non slip painted roof back to metal using one I have some experience.  A scrabbler, by nature of it's design , cannot get right up to a vertical surface (the cabin side.) It might also have problems coping with the radius on the outside edge of the side deck. I can see teeth on the cutters being shattered. On balance , given that a good quality wire brush on an angle grinder will be needed anyway perhaps that's the way to go. (replacement cutters on my 150 mm  ?  4 armed scrabbler cost £75 a pop.   

23 hours ago, Petalsnow said:

What would you recommend to take off the paint on the side walkways along the narrowboat? Eg. Where you walk along that has the sandy paint for grip. Fast stripping metal disks seem to work well on the angle grinder for in the corners. Taking back to metal. 

As a matter of interest, why do you need to take it back to bear metal?

Could a really coarse sanding do the trick? Perhaps with Vactan to take care of any remaining rusty bits that you can’t get at?

52 minutes ago, cass1 said:

screwfix sell prep discs for an angle grinder for about eight pound fifty each they get down to bare metal easily  great kit

They do 'em for 4 and a half quid too.  No idea how good they are though.. https://www.screwfix.com/p/spindle-non-woven-preparation-wheel-115mm/606jj

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

You cant sand non slip with sand in, the pads just get ripped apart.

Does that apply to any paint that has non slip bits in it, or just sand?

I ask because I have sanded my walkways twice over the years - the first time there was some grippy stuff, but I dont know what it was. The last time, it was the non slip International Deck paint that I coated it with in 2015. The pads did fine in both cases.

Edited by Richard10002

35 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Does that apply to any paint that has non slip bits in it, or just sand?

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

You cant sand non slip with sand in, the pads just get ripped apart.

The bold bit is a clue ;)

30 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Yes... I Know!

But it's possible that the OP's walkways don't have sand in the paint...... "sandy" was the adjective.

My walkways were "sandy", but it wasn't sand ;) 

Yeah that rubberised stuff is fine. It’s just sand that won’t, er, sand ;)

dunno if this is a stoopid idea but blowlamp and scraper is the old fashioned way of removing paint. On the plus side it will only set you back a tenner to find out if it works or not. On the negative side gas lines and cables often run under the gunnels and may get angry if warmed up too much.

7 minutes ago, 36national said:

dunno if this is a stoopid idea but blowlamp and scraper is the old fashioned way of removing paint. On the plus side it will only set you back a tenner to find out if it works or not. On the negative side gas lines and cables often run under the gunnels and may get angry if warmed up too much.

I think you’d have to leave the blow lamp in one place for an awfully long time to get 4mm (or whatever) steel hot enough to damage cabling inside :)

5 minutes ago, 36national said:

just urging caution

besides the fumes from burning paint are good for ones health (reportedly)

When I was about 4 a much older half-brother was burning the paint off our back door. He pointed and said “See how the paint is all bubbling and brown?”  I nodded. “Well stick your hand in there and it’ll look just the same!”  I was scared to touch that door until it was repainted :)

Edited by WotEver

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2020 at 12:53, Richard10002 said:

As a matter of interest, why do you need to take it back to bear metal?

Could a really coarse sanding do the trick? Perhaps with Vactan to take care of any remaining rusty bits that you can’t get at?

The previous paint job was appalling! Though I'm still dubious if we can do better...

SO we used a scrambler and angle grinders! Did the trick! Thanks everyone :)

• Greenie 1