Bubble tester location

Boatersdad

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I would have to have a bubble tester visible, eg in the saloon rather than in some  locker which is relatively dfficult to access.

why?

if it's all too much trouble why not go back to Kansas?       :banghead:

I hope you never need to check the weedhatch or the stern gland  ..............................   mind you it may be possible to position those in the saloon as well.  

it might also be worth pointing out that if you are a live-aboard you will need to open the locker regularly to change the cylinder, and if you are an occasional boater you should open the locker to turn the gas on and off whenever you arrive at and leave the boat.

Edited by Murflynn

17 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You do know they only bubble when you press the button, right?

If I fitted one [well I would employ a GasSafe fitter to fit it and check the entire system independantly], though I would read the instructions [if supplied!] and would fit at least one test in to a daily routine, but my nose works 24/7,  so that remains a good sensor. Like the MOT, the test is relevant at one moment in time.

26 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

god forbid that the boat was built 100 years ago using rivets instead of welds.   no doubt a BSC examiner would refuse to board the boat 'cos it might sink at any moment - hundreds of holes below the waterline, each filled with a dubious piece of metal.

But not many boats were built with riveted gas lockers!

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But not many boats were built with riveted gas lockers!

how many is 'not many' ?    :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If I fitted one [well I would employ a GasSafe fitter to fit it and check the entire system independantly], though I would read the instructions [if supplied!] and would fit at least one test in to a daily routine, but my nose works 24/7,  so that remains a good sensor. Like the MOT, the test is relevant at one moment in time.

just hope you never suffer from phantosmia or worse still, a code in de dose.

just for the craic perhaps you could post a video of you on your hands and knees sniffing the floor below the gas pipes and appliances.

27 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

why?

if it's all too much trouble why not go back to Kansas?       :banghead:

I hope you never need to check the weedhatch or the stern gland  ..............................   mind you it may be possible to position those in the saloon as well.  

it might also be worth pointing out that if you are a live-aboard you will need to open the locker regularly to change the cylinder, and if you are an occasional boater you should open the locker to turn the gas on and off whenever you arrive at and leave the boat.

Funnily enough, down the weed hatch last week, all clean.

The stern gland is weeping some grease, and I have added fresh grease twice this year, not sure if I need do more, a bit of water in the bilge since I started using the boat, but no signs of grease in any quantity,

Dominic, of this parish kindly checked my weed hatch before venturing on The Trent a month ago, again, it was clean.

I have only bought two gas bottles, one was fitted by a volunteer, and one by myself, I then used a gas leak detector spray.

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Funnily enough, down the weed hatch last week, all clean.

The stern gland is weeping some grease, and I have added fresh grease twice this year, not sure if I need do more, a bit of water in the bilge since I started using the boat, but no signs of grease in any quantity,

Dominic, of this parish kindly checked my weed hatch before venturing on The Trent a month ago, again, it was clean.

I have only bought two gas bottles, one was fitted by a volunteer, and one by myself, I then used a gas leak detector spray.

that's alright then   :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 2015 Version of the BSS states :

Up to the level of the top of the cylinder valves, or other high‐pressure components where these are higher, the bottom,sides, and seams of every cylinder locker must be free of any:

• holes, e.g. caused by drilling, rust or cutting; or ,

• cracks, splits or de‐laminations; or,

• missing or damaged welds at seams; or,

• other signs of damage or deterioration… …. that can be determined by visual examination to penetrate the locker to the interior of the vessel.

I can imagine that an examiner could argue that a hole drilled and 'filled' with a bolt and washer would not comply, but conversely is it now fully sealed ?

We have a few things bolted onto the gas locker wall, the mounting for the regulator/changeover and the HIN plate. They are “fully sealed” by their respective bolts and have never been mentioned at BSS. Pretty sure all Hudsons with well decks have the same arrangement.

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We have a few things bolted onto the gas locker wall, the mounting for the regulator/changeover and the HIN plate. They are “fully sealed” by their respective bolts and have never been mentioned at BSS. Pretty sure all Hudsons with well decks have the same arrangement.

I'm not at all surprised that they haven't been mentioned by examiners when far more (potentially) serious things are never picked up on.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not at all surprised that they haven't been mentioned by examiners when far more (potentially) serious things are never picked up on.

My point is that they have not been mentioned because they are not fail points, as verified by the quoted post from Rob.

59 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

perhaps Hudsons have rivetted gas lockers as well   :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

I have always found a gaslow guage to be highly effective for checking for leaks, not expensive and easy to fit.   Are these not acceptable under all the onerous BSS requirements?

That’s not going to show you a tiny leak though, is it?

Or is it?

39 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

“fully sealed”

Are they fully sealed?

Without a proprietary sealant surely this wildly energetic gas that's heavier than "air" can escape from whatever crack it wants to

Have the powers that be investigated the behaviour of leaking gas to see if it "leaks" in random directions and how much does pressure play a part in its directionality.

Are recommendations / regulations based on actual case studies or what if scenarios.

As with everything nowadays clipboard warriors are trying to design out any and all possible risks because we are idiots who cannot think for ourselves ( must admit some people shouldn't be let out alone in the world including me ?)

Will the sniff test work with gas laying in the bottom of engine bay bilges?

Or will it get to having to having airtight, sectional boats with bomb proof engine bays or whole craft extraction systems

Yes there should be regulations for clarification and guidance but unlike other countries until we stop making the relevant parts available to all and sundry then no amount of legislation / regulation will help.

In Trumpland you couldn't buy electrical installation products without producing a trade card.

Perhaps not a good country to use as an example! Can't buy electrical cable but you can get fully automatic weapons weapons ?

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That’s not going to show you a tiny leak though, is it?

Or is it?

If you turn off the cylinder any leak will show after a while as the pressure will drop, I used these for over 30 years on motorhomes, there are now very cheap versions on Amazon but I haven't tried one of those.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROPANE-HILO-CYLINDER-GAUGE-LPG-PRESSURE/dp/B00AV6GVQU/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=gaslow&qid=1597836520&sr=8-17

1 minute ago, JamesFrance said:

If you turn off the cylinder any leak will show after a while as the pressure will drop

If it was a tiny leak then that could be an awful long while. By contrast a bubble tester doesn’t require the cylinder to be turned off - you simply hold down a button for 60 seconds.