3-pin 12v socket to cigar lighter adapter?

Tasemu

Featured Posts

This is for the 12V DC system.  I'm using the usual rectangular 3-pin for 230V AC and assume that using round 3-pin for the 12V DC would be suitable.  I imagine they can't be mixed up accidentally?  

I will work in compliance with the RCD, but this boat is not for resale within five years, I hope!  But yes, I want to make it compliant anyway.

20 minutes ago, 11MoustachioedDs said:

I will work in compliance with the RCD, but this boat is not for resale within five years, I hope!  But yes, I want to make it compliant anyway.

I'm sure most private builders 'hope' the same, but sometimes problems with 'health, wealth, or happiness' come along and mess things up. Better to do what you need to do so that if something happens you can legally sell it and get a fair market price.

Selling a non-RCD compliant boat can cost the seller a lot as he will achieve a much lower price.

I purchased one boat with an offer £80,000 below asking price as the RCD paperwork and VAT paid certificate were not available, the seller accepted, as I thought he would.

26 minutes ago, 11MoustachioedDs said:

This is for the 12V DC system. 

The 'Low Voltage' specification I quoted is for 12v systems.

Yes you'll have no problem with round-pins on 12v DC and 'square' pins on 230v AC

25 minutes ago, 11MoustachioedDs said:

In which case you cant use round pin plugs and sockets.

What do you intend to plug into these sockets ? 

If its just for charging things  see my earlier posts.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Selling a non-RCD compliant boat can cost the seller a lot as he will achieve a much lower price.

I purchased one boat with an offer £80,000 below asking price as the RCD paperwork and VAT paid certificate were not available, the seller accepted, as I thought he would.

Wow, Can I ask what the asking price was? That seems a massive reduction.

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

In which case, I believe he can - as I quoted from the ISO specification.

What makes you think he cannot ?

Just now, PhilR said:

Wow, Can I ask what the asking price was? That seems a massive reduction.

£250,000

17 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Why not?  The RCD states that the 12V and 230V sockets mustn’t be interchangeable. Surely round pin sockets satisfies that?

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Better to do what you need to do so that if something happens you can legally sell it and get a fair market price.

Yes, indeed.  That's what I'd always prefer to do.  

That looks like 1-1 for/against using round pins for DC.  Hmm...

Would Hella or W4 sockets be a better bet?  I hear Hella ones are more secure than cigarette lighter types.

The sockets will be for LED task lighting and a few small bits of workshop equipment that run on 12V.  Because I'll be using them for longish periods per day I'd prefer to use 12V rather than converting from 230V to run them or using AC versions.  Saves running the inverter.

6 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Does a cat need an RCD?

You could maybe make an argument that it needs 2x RCD (one for each boat / engine / bedroom / bathroom)

I managed to get a copy from the manufacturer, so that was that sorted, and a contribution to the Croatian Customs coffee fund resulted in a backdated "VAT paid" certificate being issued by the Slovac officials as that was her country of entry into the EU.

All legal so could now apply to the Government to have her de-registered and could leave the country.

3050 miles trip home in 28 days.

Screenshot (311).png

Screenshot (312).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Cat is in Plymouth and my Motor Cruiser is on the North Wales coast.

Best of both worlds, although I don't envy your overland journey between the two.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've been on the Cruiser for 4 weeks now since the Welsh Government lifted the 5-mile restriction. Getting the work done that was planned for March & April.

You aren't at Dickies ?

39 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Why not?  The RCD states that the 12V and 230V sockets mustn’t be interchangeable. Surely round pin sockets satisfies that?

Clever and thoughtful people these RCD chaps, but would be so much nicer just to have little brass plates next to each socket saying 12volt or 240volt, a bit like the pump out and diesel things.

...............Dave

Just now, dmr said:

Clever and thoughtful people these RCD chaps, but would be so much nicer just to have little brass plates next to each socket saying 12volt or 240volt, a bit like the pump out and diesel things.

...............Dave

I tend to agree

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No we dropped in at Dickies in October then headed down towards Caernarfon (we were too big to get dropped in at Dinorwic or Caernarfon)

22-10-19a.jpg

You have a great cruising area. I am envious. We will be in N Wales later this week. The only boating we might do will be on Starida if he is running

Just now, PhilR said:

You have a great cruising area. I am envious. We will be in N Wales later this week. The only boating we might do will be on Starida if he is running

We used to be based In Holyhead (before there was a Marina, then took a Marina berth when it opened) we cruised all over - Ireland (3 hours) , IoM (3 hours) up to Glasgow, Fort William etc. Great cruising ground.

We still cruised on the Canals and had A NB as well

Went on a Charter trip on Starida - must be 20+ years ago.

I was in Beaumaris (Gallows Point) a couple of days ago picking up some Flares and 'stuff'.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We used to be based In Holyhead (before there was a Marina, then took a Marina berth when it opened) we cruised all over - Ireland (3 hours) , IoM (3 hours) up to Glasgow, Fort William etc. Great cruising ground.

We still cruised on the Canals and had A NB as well

Went on a Charter trip on Starida - must be 20+ years ago.

I was in Beaumaris (Gallows Point) a couple of days ago picking up some Flares and 'stuff'.

Thanks for that insight.

We have been going to Anglesey for yonks. It is almost a 2nd home.. North Wales does have some magic!