Pump out smell

baldlimey

Featured Posts

We recently had a problem where the screws holding our toilet flange down broke and had to be replaced.

We always had the occasional whiff on flushing, it is a dump through traveller but now it is constant but oddly a sweet sickly smell rather than the more 'traditional' smell.

When it was reasembled the person who repaired it seemed to use plenty of a black coloured sealent and I replaced both the Base and bowl seals. 

I obviously need to disassemble and have another go but anyone got any advice on where to add sealer or test before I do as I am at a bit of a loss.

Thanks

Pete

Make sure your breather is not the issue before you take the thing apart - we had a boat in the past where the breather was the issue and we fitted an in line charcoal filter available from Lee San at the time - if the breather is on the roof it will be less likely but on the boat I'm referring to it was at gunwale height and the smells never got away also we used Daz Bio washing liquid in the tank and that helped a lot (but opinions are really divided on this point) - typically a 500ml - 1L per tank use.

Edited by Halsey

I think the bowl seal has a breather hole in it and it is possible to fit it so the breather hole is blocked. If you have a decent sized tank breather to the outside then maybe the chap has fitted it correctly so the breather hole is where it should be so smell can escape into the boat. I think that @ditchcrawler may have fitted his so the hole is blocked.

59 minutes ago, baldlimey said:

Hi

When you say he fitted it so the hole is blocked do you mean by accident and caused a problem or deliberately to solve the problem? 

Cheers

Peter

I think @ditchcrawler did it deliberately to help stop smells in the boat. Its just a question of turning one of the seals over. If you are thinking about doing it on no account do it if your tank breather is missing, blocked or of a small bore, say 1/2" or less.

Edited by Tony Brooks

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think @ditchcrawler did it deliberately to help stop smells in the boat. Its just a question of turning on of the seals over. If you are thinking about doing it on no account do it if your tank breather is missing, blocked or f a small bore, say 1/2" or less.

Vowel troubles Tony?  o and e? Or is it O&E excepted?

Is the seal around the rotating ball still OK? All the bolts in? No rust holes in the top of the tank?

TD'

A drop through pumpout toilet shouldn't smell if you 'maintain' it properly. doese the tank regularly  wi Tesco 'Oxy-gen' or get some of the bio detergent such as the BR1 that I mentioned ina previous thread.

A smelly loo is 'orrind and easy to fix... 

Hi,

I think the seal around the ball is OK,  the bowl retains water fine. I would have thought if I had rust holes I would have had the smell before the bolts were replaced. Anyone ever tried a smoke candle or some thing to check?

After the last boat we had, a shared boat, I made sure our toilet was properly sealed to the tank with a screwed flange welded on the tank and the bowl supported on the wooden covering. The hole I blocked was the pan overflow hole in the back of the pan vot the ball seal.  My tank vent is the same size as my pumpout connection, 38 of 40 mm I think and is very short coming out just below the gunwale 

toilet.png

Edited by ditchcrawler

We recently replaced all of the seals on our toilet. Base, onto tank, the ball mechanism and toilet pan seal. We didn’t need to use any form of ‘gunk’ to seal. Mind you, having said that the pan occasionally loses the water in the pan so the ball and the seal seems to have not embraced each other as yet. But no smell.

41 minutes ago, baldlimey said:

Thank you everyone for the advice

A litre of morrisons bio laudary liquid seems to have cured it.

Morrisons because we were in stone and that is the local supermarket

Pete 

The brand name is not important - it's the composition that counts!

I only put 20ccs of my snake oil in to keep my tank sweet...

Perhaps you might care to experiment and put - say- 50ccs down each time you pumpout the tank and see if that keep the pong at bay?

(Oh - and I stir my tanks with a 'pointed stick' occasionally to get a good distribution.

9 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We recently replaced all of the seals on our toilet. Base, onto tank, the ball mechanism and toilet pan seal. We didn’t need to use any form of ‘gunk’ to seal. Mind you, having said that the pan occasionally loses the water in the pan so the ball and the seal seems to have not embraced each other as yet. But no smell.

Did you put it in the right way up. should seal straight away

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did you put it in the right way up. should seal straight away

Always has sealed in the past. I need to check. I was conscious to get them the right way up and right way round.