Removal/installation of Engine

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

After the replacement/refurb of injectors to cure a "white smoke" issue - which did not cure the smoke problem, I now find I have a knackered engine - head gasket, bent conrod and two pistons corroded by water ingress.

It looks like I may have to get a refurbished engine!!!!

I can get the cost of a likely engine replacement but does anyone have any idea of the likely cost of removal of the old and installation of the new??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 minute ago, Saint Paul said:

Hi Folks,

After the replacement/refurb of injectors to cure a "white smoke" issue - which did not cure the smoke problem, I now find I have a knackered engine - head gasket, bent conrod and two pistons corroded by water ingress.

I can get the cost of a likely engine replacement but does anyone have any idea of the likely cost of removal of the old and installation of the new??

Hi. What engine, in what sort of boat? Trad, cruiser stern etc?

Just now, Saint Paul said:

Hi Folks,

If its a tiny single cylinder thing, not much.

If its a 12 cylinder monster, think Sultzer or Mirlesse, a heck of a lot.

Then again if its in a rowing boat, that's easy but a submarine would be really difficult.

Go on, give us a clue, engine make and size, boat type, location etc.

TD'

17 minutes ago, Saint Paul said:

If you can replace with an IDENTICAL model then the installation costs will not be huge as all ancillaries, elctricals, water, fuel, mountings etc will connect easily.

If you replace it with a different engine model it could involve a complete clear out of the engine bay (including moving the engine bearers) and loads of work welding new mounting bearers, exhaust fittings, re-doing wiring, fuel, and water - maybe even the engine / gear box controls.

Your question, as it stands, is impossible to answer.

Budget for £10,000, be happy if it is £5000 (second hand engine) and 'over the moon' if you can get it done for £3000

Buying an unknown, cheap, ebay engine with no guarantees means you could be buying another 'problem child'.

These guys have cheap engines but as they are ex-tractor, ex-digger they would need marinizing :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Diesel-engines-Kubota-Iseki-Mitsubishi-Yanmar-Perkins-Ford/174094641360?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

On 03/07/2020 at 10:02, Saint Paul said:

Hi Folks,

Buy a new kubota engine from kubota dealer and swap all of the Nanni mariinsing parts over, cost of swap less than £1000, budget extra for new hoses etc, may as well while it’s out.  Also clean and paint engine bay while empty, much easier than working round the engine. Do it yourself or pay someone £400-£500