Security - how secure do you need to be?

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

CO and gas engines is interesting, When I worked at Birds Eye we had electric and gas forklifts, At times gas forklifts would work inside the factory in some areas, in others it was electric only.

The K&A report thefts every week, generators bike etc

That is hardly typical of all UK waterways however.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

CO and gas engines is interesting, When I worked at Birds Eye we had electric and gas forklifts, At times gas forklifts would work inside the factory in some areas, in others it was electric only.

The K&A report thefts every week, generators bike etc

There are 'rough' areas that suffer petty thefts spread around the country. Look at the condition of the surroundings to get an idea of the likely hood of being burgled, mugged etc.

Syringes, boarded up buildings, piles of rubbish, stuff dumped on the bank-side, half-sunken boats  would all indicate where it may be better not to stop or leave your boat.

The level of security you need depends on:

1. Where you leave the boat.

2. How long you leave the boat.

3. How likely it is to passer-bys to contain items of interest to those passer-bys.

4. How bothered you would be to lose stuff or have it damaged.

5. How much effort & expense you are prepared to put in to provide security.

I have lots of big bus windows and I have substantial metal grilles over them.  In some areas they might be perceived as provocative but mostly they just discourage.

I have multiple locks on my doors that are not visible and I will not describe them here.  

I am fed up with arriving at my boat to find screwdriver marks and distortion on my doors.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Quite correct, it seems quite a hot spot down there with known suspects

I'm surprised, as it seems a fairly genteel part of the world: Honeystreet, Devizes, Bath....

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

LPG produces pretty much the same amount of CO as petrol, both 'vapours' are heavier than air and can sink into the bilges.

Carbon monoxide isn't a vapour, it's a gas.

It is slightly less dense than air at normal temperatures.

As for boat security, it depends very much upon where you moor.  There is an argument that the more visible the security, the greater the incentive for a break-in.

However, the best way of dealing with the problem is not to leave anything valuable on the boat -- or at least, nothing so valuable that you can't afford to replace it. 

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Carbon monoxide isn't a vapour, it's a gas.

As for boat security, it depends very much upon where you moor.  There is an argument that the more visible the security, the greater the incentive for a break-in.

However, the best way of dealing with the problem is not to leave anything valuable on the boat -- or at least, nothing so valuable that you can't afford to replace it. 

I know - see and read my post #13, all the information is there re 'gas' and 'vapour'.

To save you looking, here it is again :

Both produce similar amounts of CO. 

CO is a very similar weight to air and 'floats about', neither rising or falling in the air, which is why you should have your CO alarm at 'head height' at the side of your bed. 

Air has a molecular weight of 28.013 while Carbon Monoxide (CO) has a weight of 28.011. ..

From the BSS :

"...… in sleeping quarters have the alarm in the "breathing zone", i.e. near the bed head"

Vapours from both LPG & Petrol are heavier than air and will collect in the bilges until a suitable spark comes by and then they will disperse in a "rapidly expanding bubble of heat, noise and light"

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Well I just did a quick Google, as you do and air is 1.2754 kg/m³ and CO is 1.14 kg/m³ so as you say a tad lighter. I would guess in the real world it will soon move to all levels and not just sit at the top

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well I just did a quick Google, as you do and air is 1.2754 kg/m³ and CO is 1.14 kg/m³ so as you say a tad lighter. I would guess in the real world it will soon move to all levels and not just sit at the top

Air has a molecular weight of 28.013 while Carbon Monoxide (CO) has a weight of 28.011. .