The oddest (or most expensive) thing you've lost from your roof!

Supermalc

Featured Posts

Following on ------

Mine is my first Etrex Legend GPS left by mistake just seconds after I placed it there for safe keeping, then forgot as I fastened the canopy and rushed off to run my friend back to his car in mine. As I've had my boat 4 years this December, it was the next summer.

Following on ------

Mine is my first Etrex Legend GPS left by mistake just seconds after I placed it there for safe keeping, then forgot as I fastened the canopy and rushed off to run my friend back to his car in mine. As I've had my boat 4 years this December, it was the next summer.

The most expensive thing (for me) that someone left on their roof, was their chimney. We were being towed to Charity Dock and approached a particularly sharp bend followed immediately by a low bridge. Dave (who shall remain nameless) realised he'd left the chimney on and it wasn't going to get under the bridge so started wrestling with the stack, glued on by tar, and forgot he really needed to steer the boat. I realised that the angle he was dragging Lucy through would not allow the Luby pin to go through centrally, so wasn't going to get under. I (being completely stupid) started running along the top plank with the ridiculous notion that I would have time to get the top mast out of the box mast and run back to safety. I hadn't even reached the mast when I realised it wasn't going to happen and the only way I was going to get under the bridge was to take a swim.

I leapt into the water and watched as the box mast snapped and the top plank, I was just running along, collapsed.

Fortunately, because of a weak point in the box mast, it snapped rather than held, so not damaging the boat bottoms.

Harsh words were spoken and it was the last time I ever accepted a tow.

Edited by carlt

The most expensive thing I lost was nothing unusual really, but like so many others it was a chimney. This was one was swept off by the over hanging tree at the bottom of Trentham lock on the Trent & Misery. My wife at the time (no names as she is now married to a finer man than me who contributes to these forums) had taken her mind off steering as the dog had just made a break for freedom at the previous bridge.

The chain snapped (don't they always?) so the strap of genuine old brasses went as well. The nearest thing to hand was my specially made tool for ripping rope off the blades, but cold wet hands soon allowed that to disappear as well!

By now I was suffering a sense of humour failure Grade A.

The boats got tied up and out came the magnet, after three hours I was richer to the tune of: -

3 windlasses

1 Buckby can

1 transistor radio (ruined)

1 air rifle (still cocked and loaded)

Varied collection of soft drink cans dating back to when you needed a triangular lever to punch a hole in them (pre ring pull)

However none of my gear! That tree had been having its fun for years, and is probably due another visit.

The most expensive thing I nearly lost was the Bishop of Derby's big pointy hat. See "The oddest thing you've found on your roof?" Shardlow village Main Rd bridge.

zenataomm

Edited by zenataomm

The most expensive thing I lost was nothing unusual really, but like so many others it was a chimney. This was one was swept off by the over hanging tree at the bottom of Trentham lock on the Trent & Misery. My wife at the time (no names as she is now married to a finer man than me who contributes to these forums) had taken her mind off steering as the dog had just made a break for freedom at the previous bridge.

The chain snapped (don't they always?) so the strap of genuine old brasses went as well. The nearest thing to hand was my specially made tool for ripping rope off the blades, but cold wet hands soon allowed that to disappear as well!

By now I was suffering a sense of humour failure Grade A.

The boats got tied up and out came the magnet, after three hours I was richer to the tune of: -

3 windlasses

1 Buckby can

1 transistor radio (ruined)

1 air rifle (still cocked and loaded)

Varied collection of soft drink cans dating back to when you needed a triangular lever to punch a hole in them (pre ring pull)

However none of my gear! That tree had been having its fun for years, and is probably due another visit.

The most expensive thing I nearly lost was the Bishop of Derby's big pointy hat. See "The oddest thing you've found on your roof?" Shardlow village Main Rd bridge.

zenataomm

Oooh!

What make was the air rifle??!!!

Kev left his rucksack on the roof when he returned home from work one night. It had his wallet, bank cards, drivers license, bike lights - all sorts in it. But at least we can be smug in the fact that unbeknownst the the thieving b*stards who swiped it off the roof by the next morning, his honkingly niffy sweaty jogging bottoms were in there too as he'd been training that day. :) And I do mean honking - his jogging bottoms are so potent they could take tarnish of off silver and the vapour from them makes your eyes bleed. :lol:

his jogging bottoms are so potent they could take tarnish of off silver and the vapour from them makes your eyes bleed. :lol:

I really think it's time Kev signed up so he can tell us all your embarrassing secrets.

Seriously, though, could you have discovered a new brass polishing product? (ok not that seriously, though)

and your still with him??? Isn't love a wonderful thing :D
:lol::):blink: It's not that bad - he's not allowed to wear them in the boat - thats why they were in his rucksack. He's not even allowed to put them in the laundry bag till they've been aired and dried and the half-life reduced somewhat. :D
I really think it's time Kev signed up so he can tell us all your embarrassing secrets.
Oh no - these aren't secrets! It's popular knowledge round our way. :D

Droped my phone in on saterday.

- First thing of any real value i think ive actaully ever droped in as well, took about 5minutes to get over the pure supprised of it all!

Tried with the magnet for about 15minutes, but it was a lost cause, and everyones else was waiting to get on with the locking.

- In my defence, i was rushed off my feet at the time , doing the funnel, holding the center line, talking to a bystander, and suppervising two total novices on a fair deep lock. Should have just left it ringing for what happened, but there we go. bounce bounce bounce splash... BUGGER!

So yeah, rubbish. Ebay here i come, second hand phones beware...

Daniel

Following on ------

we had an electric bike taken from the roof whilst asleep on board and it was a horrible very very wet night moored just on the edge of Wigan and yes the bike was locked to the centre rope loop lock was cut off :D:lol: