Post Lockdown Boating Plans Survey

cuthound

Featured Posts

45 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

If anglers get the green light to angle later today, there is no reason to prevent boaters boating.  

TOO RIGHT and if walkers can freely walk the towpaths because being in the fresh air is good for us the same applies - I do hope the marina operators will agree though...........they hold the real keys!

From the outset my mental target has been that I want to be on my boat no later the 1st June and I am still optimistic - it has kept me going so far...........

Edited by Halsey
  • Happy 1

The thing is most tow path walkers and anglers are probably quite local to where they added the canal not 1 or 2 hours away like a lot of boaters so unless unlimited travel is allowed then for a lot of people accessing their boat will still be out of bounds.

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The thing is most tow path walkers and anglers are probably quite local to where they added the canal not 1 or 2 hours away like a lot of boaters so unless unlimited travel is allowed then for a lot of people accessing their boat will still be out of bounds.

On one of the fishing competitions here in early March, one of the entrants was from Newcastle and another one from Peterborough!!

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

True with walkers, but a lot of fisherman have to carry all their kit and often travel by car and as we see trolly it down the tow path to their favourite spot and what about cyclists?  we’ve had cyclists on the Towpath that have cycled over 15 miles and then have to cycle back home. A more difficult group of exercisers to stay local. It is going to be interesting to see what CaRT come up with.

Edited by PD1964

4 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Perhaps not garden centres but if the government says you can go out as often as you want what then?

I suppose the crucial thing is going to be any rules around second homes. There is still a need to not overstretch scarce rural NHS resources so we've got a while to wait I think.

'scarce local resources' is really part of the 'pulling up the drawbridge' and varying forms and degrees of xenophobia. Remember what the N stands for in NHS - it is not a local service nor is it funded locally. If it were then rural areas would have had inferior services for a long time. In any case, so far the most over-stretched areas have been the big cities and grown-up national assessment would have concluded that it was actually beneficial to transfer some of the load to where there has been capacity. as far as I can make out, our general hospital - the furthest south-west - has never really been at risk of being overwhelmed.

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Perhaps not garden centres but if the government says you can go out as often as you want what then?

I suppose the crucial thing is going to be any rules around second homes. There is still a need to not overstretch scarce rural NHS resources so we've got a while to wait I think.

I live in hope but fear you have found the nails head. I would be happy if I could just visit my boat to check it over but I am not filled with optimism. I could do that trip in a day but many can't.

6 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

'scarce local resources' is really part of the 'pulling up the drawbridge' and varying forms and degrees of xenophobia. Remember what the N stands for in NHS - it is not a local service nor is it funded locally. If it were then rural areas would have had inferior services for a long time. In any case, so far the most over-stretched areas have been the big cities and grown-up national assessment would have concluded that it was actually beneficial to transfer some of the load to where there has been capacity. as far as I can make out, our general hospital - the furthest south-west - has never really been at risk of being overwhelmed.

As far as I understand from medical friends, they are accounted for locally, so if they expect a certain number of people in a particular health authority, then they plan for those people and not any extras.