Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
LadyG

Preppers Porridge etc

Featured Posts

Hi guys, thought I might do a bit of prepping, just finished a kilo of dry cured ham, it lasted three weeks as a daily meat protein source but there is no more.

I've got flour for bread/pizza/ flatbread Hard cheese keeps, and I know I can buy tins. I could do with a few ideas for savoury things that keep for a bit. I thought I might buy pastry mix, in theory I could make my own pastry.... in theory.

Maybe something in brandy, I have a few jars. I 'm not sure about pickling eggs, seems to need a lot of faffing, not exactly exciting end product.

I once did a tongue, helluva job.

Pickle making, really needs lots of jars.

 

 

 

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why? When your still allowed to go out and buy food in tins as you say and there is no food shortage, you can still get the essentials, just people panic shopping, is it that bad in Goole? You make it sound like the apocalypse is coming.

Edited by PD1964

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Why? When your still allowed to go out and buy food in tins as you say and there is no food shortage, you can still get the essentials, just people panic shopping, is it that bad in Goole? 

Goole is barely affected, its a real pleasure out cycling, but I was thinking it could go on for a year. Pretty much no socialising,  I can't get deliveries,  and have plenty of time to mess about inside for twenty hours a day, seven days a week, probably all summer. Even the cat lives out most of the time in summer. Very isolating. No real "goals", not the mini adventures I would like, I can't volunteer to do anything, which would at least break up the tedium.

I will probably go shopping to Tesco every day, just to break monotony. I need clothes pegs today!

PS I 've worked through several disruptive episodes over the years, but I was working, sort of at the coal face, so had plenty of communication, and things to do, every day different. I think I feel like one of those remote vacuum cleaners, programmed to go round and round the office, being ignored by the office workers who sit at their desks, clicking their mice.

Sorry to moan, people are dying, I know that, and I'd like to do my bit, but I am constrained on every front.

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are avoiding socialising but want to go shopping every day? The guidelines are to shop as infrequently as possible, I don’t think that means daily. 

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3kg of dried blood keeps for a very long time and makes a huge quantity of black pudding along with beef suet and pearl barley. I make it in dishes as it's a messy faff to put in casings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

3kg of dried blood keeps for a very long time and makes a huge quantity of black pudding along with beef suet and pearl barley. I make it in dishes as it's a messy faff to put in casings.

Does Tesco stock dried blood? 😉

 

Got loads of tins to eat up yet, I've been stocking the store for years (before the panic started). 

 

Having grown up with balm cakes, I've been trying to replicate them, and I'm getting very close to the 'real thing'. So last night for dinner we had a 'sort' of hamburger using sliced corned beef from a tin, covered in cheese, with a splash of sweet chilli sauce, and baked until the cheese melted - then assembled.  It was really tasty with the bits of salady stuff still managing to 'hold on'.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mail order unless you know of a butchers' supplier. I'll be making some BP today.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

You are avoiding socialising but want to go shopping every day? The guidelines are to shop as infrequently as possible, I don’t think that means daily. 

 

Actually, here in Scotland it means exactly that.  Nicola asked people not to go to the shops more than once a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dyertribe said:

You are avoiding socialising but want to go shopping every day? The guidelines are to shop as infrequently as possible, I don’t think that means daily. 

 Artistic licence, did two biggish shops this week, normally mini shop five times a week. Boater delivered milk for a week. But had a lot of chat in the Tesco queue, someone  I know and a n other. I am avoiding mixing with folks here as much as possible 'cos they are mixing with each other, I can go out on bike or stay inside. Folks in the Tesco queue are all 2m apart and very sociable, also Tesco very relaxed shopping experience, the Co-op is very small, little effort when I last went there, it may have changed. I might get my pegs there as I have to go next door for my  'fix'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, LadyG said:

 Artistic licence, did two biggish shops this week, normally mini shop five times a week. Boater delivered milk for a week. But had a lot of chat in the Tesco queue, someone  I know and a n other. I am avoiding mixing with folks here as much as possible 'cos they are mixing with each other, I can go out on bike or stay inside. Folks in the Tesco queue are all 2m apart and very sociable, also Tesco very relaxed shopping experience, the Co-op is very small, little effort when I last went there, it may have changed. I might get my pegs there as I have to go next door for my  'fix'

"artistic licence"  so what you are saying is just a whole load of baloney?  You dont really get the concept of self isolation do you, if you are as high risk as you say then you need to keep the going out to an absolute minimum... If you succumb to this virus, the larger part of its transmission will have been down to yourself.  I wish you good luck!

 

correction... actually you should not be going out at all, but I recognise that living on a boat that is difficult.

Edited by Chagall
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

3kg of dried blood keeps for a very long time and makes a huge quantity of black pudding along with beef suet and pearl barley. I make it in dishes as it's a messy faff to put in casings.

In Ye Olden day the place we took old hens used 40gallon drums to collect the blood.

Best not to think these things thru!

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LadyG said:

In Ye Olden day the place we took old hens used 40gallon drums to collect the blood.

Best not to think these things thru!

We're talking black pudding, not black magic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chagall said:

"artistic licence"  so what you are saying is just a whole load of baloney?  You dont really get the concept of self isolation do you, if you are as high risk as you say then you need to keep the going out to an absolute minimum... If you succumb to this virus, the larger part of its transmission will have been down to yourself.  I wish you good luck!

 

correction... actually you should not be going out at all, but I recognise that living on a boat that is difficult.

Actually going out for an hour's exercise and shopping is essential. and I avoid mixing with people here, if possible, not easy as they are coming and going all the time. I would not say I was very high risk, but if I get the bug badly, who knows, I'm asthmatic so respiratory system very sensitive.

Edited by LadyG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep going to Tesco every day and you wont need self isolate for too much longer you will be dead.

 

Honestly, you seem to have absolutely no concept of what you should doing.

 

You say you are on the boat for 20 hours a day, you should not be off it for 4 hours each day.

 

If you want to make it through this crisis you need to have a long hard look at your behaviour and what you are doing every day. 

32 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Actually going out for an hour's exercise and shopping is essential. and I avoid mixing with people here, if possible, not easy as they are coming and going all the time. I would not say I was very high risk, but if I get the bug badly, who knows, I'm asthmatic so respiratory system very sensitive.

Shopping isn't essential every day.

 

The advice is to aim for once a week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Somebodies posts read like classic attention seeking.

 

And she's getting it.

Maybe that is because this is the only attention she will get from anyone as a lonely recluse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm just responding to comments, I would not have neede to start this thread if CRT local manager was at the end of a phone. I ran out of option yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well, I'm just responding to comments, I would not have neede to start this thread if CRT local manager was at the end of a phone. I ran out of option yesterday.

You had plenty of options, the best being to shut up and stay inside. 

 

Joe on Cygnus has given you another very good one, which sounds to me like a good idea. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Chagall
fairness again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well, I'm just responding to comments, I would not have neede to start this thread if CRT local manager was at the end of a phone. I ran out of option yesterday.

 

Why are CRT responsible for you finishing the ham off?

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well, I'm just responding to comments, I would not have neede to start this thread if CRT local manager was at the end of a phone. I ran out of option yesterday.

Why do you expect the CRT manager to be on the end of the phone when it is not an essential job?

 

The CRT manager has as much right to be safe at home with their family as you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are we now 😳

Edited by LadyG
I see, we're not in Kansas anymore ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.