Mechanic Needed

Featured Posts

I have a Nauticus 27 moored at Ventnor Marina in Warwickshire with a Sea Wolf WaterMota petrol engine. I recently had it moved from Oxfordshire by road and cant get it started now.....was running before....I am guessing that something has come loose and engines and stuff way over my head.

Can anyone recommend anyone close by or is there anyone out there willing to look at it for me.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, snappytd said:

Can anyone recommend anyone close by or is there anyone out there willing to look at it for me.

If you could expand a little on 'it won't start' you may get some suggestions on some simple DIY things to look at.

Questions :

Is the 'master electrical switch' turned on ?

Do the ignition lights light up when the key is turned ?

Does the engine turn over when the key is turned ?

Is there fuel in the tank ?

Is the fuel tap turned on ?

Does it 'fire up' and then die ?

Is it in gear ?

Are you getting a spark at the spark plugs ?

Are the spark plugs wet with fuel ?

Has the fuel been sitting in the carburettor for more than 3 months ?

Have you tried draining the carb to see if there is fuel in it ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 3

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Has the fuel been sitting in the carburettor for more than 3 months ?

This will be it, I predict! 

Carb will be gummed up with varnish-like deposits after a winter of disuse. 

Petrol carbs need emptying at the end of a season. Petrol tanks too actually. New petrol might actually fix it, as the highest fractions evaporate away in storage and these are needed for engine starting. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

New petrol might actually fix it

As long as it can dissolve the Gum in the jets.

I've found that it drys to a 'varnish / shellac' type of substance and takes a fair bit of 'poking' to get it out.

With the outboard, we always turn off the fuel and run it until it dies from fuel starvation, The carb is then nice and dry.

It used to be much worse with 2T as the 2T oil REALLY gummed everything up once the petrol had evaporated.

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you could expand a little on 'it won't start' you may get some suggestions on some simple DIY things to look at.

Questions :

Is the 'master electrical switch' turned on ? Yes

Do the ignition lights light up when the key is turned ? Yes all but the green one.....this sometimes lights up

Does the engine turn over when the key is turned ? Yes it sounds like it wants to start

Is there fuel in the tank ? Yes I put 2 cans in there

Is the fuel tap turned on ? Yes the tap is turned so its in line with the pipe

Does it 'fire up' and then die ? No does not fire up

Is it in gear ? No in neutral

Are you getting a spark at the spark plugs ? Yes getting a spark

Are the spark plugs wet with fuel ? No not wet

Has the fuel been sitting in the carburettor for more than 3 months ? The boat had been sat for a while I brought it in Nov not sure how long it stood before then. Had a guy out come out and get it started down there and he changed the coil and thought it had been a fuel issue.....was running fine when we moved it to the slip for transporting….when we got to Ventnor and moved it to its berth it kept cutting out and has not started since.

Have you tried draining the carb to see if there is fuel in it ? No not yet

Please see answers above......

1 hour ago, snappytd said:

I have a Nauticus 27 moored at Ventnor Marina in Warwickshire with a Sea Wolf WaterMota petrol engine. I recently had it moved from Oxfordshire by road and cant get it started now.....was running before....I am guessing that something has come loose and engines and stuff way over my head.

Thanks

You could start by asking at Calcutt Boats they are VERY helpful

9 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Next one - check for fuel as the process of transhipping may have dislodged crud in the tank so no fuel getting through - check whatever filters you have 

That would be my guess too. Fuel sloshed around during the road move has stirred up crud from the bottom of the tank, and the fuel filter(s) is/are now blocked.

24 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Next one - check for fuel as the process of transhipping may have dislodged crud in the tank so no fuel getting through - check whatever filters you have 

Yes, that was my first thought as well.

Comprehensive questions with detailes answers - that's great! This place is getting better.

The dry plugs are a giveaway - crud / gunge somewhere in the system, but where?

When I had to swim out to my boat (!) I found the 'gull would invariably not start; opening the throttle to full and blowing down the petrol filler cured it. It's amazing how even a little amount of gunge caqn block a system...

• Greenie 1

On 19/03/2020 at 08:32, snappytd said:

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies but as a total novice who knows nothing about engines....where are the filters that need to be cleared out.....is there a local mechanic I can pay to have a look......if not any help online to where I look for these please help

4 minutes ago, snappytd said:

Thanks for all the replies but as a total novice who knows nothing about engines....where are the filters that need to be cleared out.....is there a local mechanic I can pay to have a look......if not any help online to where I look for these please help

The filter(s) will (probably) be 'big round things, (like bean tins with hoses going in & out) and will be in the fuel line between the tank and the carburettor.

They may look something like these (but these are on my Ford Diesels)

Bottom centre of the picture with the Black hose and 'LUCAS'

Versatility-35-42.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

17 minutes ago, snappytd said:

I doubt that you have any filters apart from the fuel strainer that I think will be in the fuel lift pump. It will be fairly low down on one side of the engine block with two pipes connected to it. The pipes will probably be about 5/16" in diameter. One will run to the carburettor and the other will run back to the tank. You may find a filter, water trap, or strainer in the later pipe but I rather doubt it will.

2 minutes ago, snappytd said:

Do I just unscrew the pipes going in an take the top off to clean it ?

NO. At least turn off the fuel tap first. However there are so many variations we need photos of what you find and the fuel pump to be sure.

Edited by Tony Brooks

44 minutes ago, snappytd said:

Not sure if the format it’s what ever the iPhone takes...every time I try to load them up just keep getting an error 

You'll need to host them somewhere else and link to them.

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

You'll need to host them somewhere else and link to them.

No, the forum hosts photos directly now. Has dome for several years. 

"Drag files here to attach, or choose files...
Accepted file types gif, jpeg, jpe, jpg, png, mp4, 3gp, mov, ogg, ogv, mpg, mpeg, flv, webm, wmv, avi, m4v "

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, the forum hosts photos directly now. Has dome for several years. 

"Drag files here to attach, or choose files...
Accepted file types gif, jpeg, jpe, jpg, png, mp4, 3gp, mov, ogg, ogv, mpg, mpeg, flv, webm, wmv, avi, m4v "

And takes what file size?