Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day 2017

Sutton to Stalham

Heading home after a week onboard Viscount 1.

We quite liked this boat. It had some quirks like comedy handling and an engine that wouldn't start but then when started wouldn't stop. But we managed to tame it over the week.

FB_IMG_1697874055725.jpg.51cc870ee41c0f86bc3471f316f4fb40.jpg

FB_IMG_1697874060045.jpg.1c2d8c8ac454bd616203b412fae045dc.jpg

FB_IMG_1697874064028.jpg.10a1d57593a706680c7570407fc4e5f2.jpg

FB_IMG_1697874064028.jpg

FB_IMG_1697874060045.jpg

FB_IMG_1697874055725.jpg

• Greenie 1

This morning 2023

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rotherham Lock  S&SYN  and the new barrier, lowered into the flood-defence position, and the swollen River Don

Compare  25Jul2007 27Jun2007   13Nov2012   9Aug2021  10May2022 8Jun2022 1Oct2022  14Jan2023  (#216Sep2023

• Greenie 1

So it looks like the flooding of the railway station is back water from the old canal as @peterboat said would happen before the flood gate was installed. Shame as when I went through there last week, it looked like the Forge Island developed would be a good thing for Rotherham, hopefully they can get the flood system sorted for the town

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

So it looks like the flooding of the railway station is back water from the old canal as @peterboat said would happen before the flood gate was installed. Shame as when I went through there last week, it looked like the Forge Island developed would be a good thing for Rotherham, hopefully they can get the flood system sorted for the town

The canal filled up from the railway line unfortunately, the water in the river very nearly topped the wall opposite me but didn't. Catcliff and Treeton have been sacrificed for Rotherham, which is obvious looking at the level of the Rother where all the guillotine bridges are up by the M1 motorway and beyond. The problem is for the railway is the drains which go under the canal into the river have no lids, also the River at full flow is higher than the railway line so the drains become huge taps flowing onto the line and then into the canal. In truth the handbag as the guillotine is called locally will flood the town, it does stop water going over the gates into the canal, which helps us but nothing else for the town or railway. 

Picture of water nearly over the wall opposite me

20231020_175619.jpg

Edited by peterboat

17 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The canal filled up from the railway line unfortunately, the water in the river very nearly topped the wall opposite me but didn't. Catcliff and Treeton have been sacrificed for Rotherham, which is obvious looking at the level of the Rother where all the guillotine bridges are up by the M1 motorway and beyond. The problem is for the railway is the drains which go under the canal into the river have no lids, also the River at full flow is higher than the railway line so the drains become huge taps flowing onto the line and then into the canal. In truth the handbag as the guillotine is called locally will flood the town, it does stop water going over the gates into the canal, which helps us but nothing else for the town or railway. 

Picture of water nearly over the wall opposite me

20231020_175619.jpg

How’s all the new flood defences at Ickles moorings? As I seen the Football was cancelled last night because of flooding.

5 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

How’s all the new flood defences at Ickles moorings? As I seen the Football was cancelled last night because of flooding.

Designed to protect the railways apparently so the football should have been safe:lol:

My mate Peter owns the lock keeper cottage at icles he has realised like the moorings they are being sacrificed for the railway line

1 hour ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

... flooding of the [Rotherham] railway station is back water from the old canal ...

This morning 2023

spacer.png

spacer.pngWater on the line in the station was not very deep this morning

Another view of the Rotherham barrier from upstream:

spacer.png

and in the weir stream, the water had been higher yesterday ...

spacer.png

downstream towards Rotherham Main Street Bridge  S&SYN

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

This morning 2023

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I do wonder if the drain was damaged at the station? It flooded with overnight rain, if you look it was clean water, I was on there the evening before it was gone dry. The water further up the lines is filthy muddy river water I have a picture I think, it's from my moorings towards the railway lines on the right 

Screenshot_20231021-212634_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

This morning 2023

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I hope they can sort all the flood issues out in Rotherham especially with all the work and investment in the Forge Island development. 

9 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I hope they can sort all the flood issues out in Rotherham especially with all the work and investment in the Forge Island development. 

"Sorting" flooding in one location invariably leads to making flooding somewhere else worse!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

"Sorting" flooding in one location invariably leads to making flooding somewhere else worse!

Correct, in catcliffe they were sacrificed for Rotherham again! Woodhouse opened its guillotine gate and Catcliffes was closed, the flood defences failed and lots of people have lost their homes for years again, 2 of them are long term friends. My daughter is the local councillor there, she is on leave because she has just had a baby but will have to do something about this mess! Of course dredging the rivers would help and removing the trees growing in the rivers might help!

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Obviously as seen in Rotherham now and non in Sheffield compared to a few years ago, just pushing it further down river, the whole flood plain needs improvement. Maybe the HS2 money can be diverted to flood elevation projects for Yorkshire, No point in improving rail travel if the trains cant run and stations are closed due to flooding.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 1

This afternoon 2023

spacer.png

Hall Green Stop Lock T&M/MacclesfieldC Compare 26Apr1980 (#2)  12May2001  21Aug2013  14Jul2014 30Sep2003

spacer.png

spacer.png

"Caution Sharp Bends Ahead" Hmmmmmmm. Approaching a T-junction ...

Hardings Wood Junction (T&M: Main Line with Hall Green Branch)

Compare 11May2002  19May2002  13Sep2009

spacer.png

spacer.png

Red Bull Services T&M

Compare 23Apr2014  26Oct2014  (#2) 11Oct2015

Edited by PeterScott

This afternoon 2023

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

River Clyde, Glasgow riverside

Squinty and Squiggly Bridges Compare 5Mar2015  6Mar2016 7Mar2020

South Portland Street Suspension Bridge  Compare 5Nov1977

Waverley mooring Compare 23Jul2005  27Mar2016  25Jan2023  5Mar2015

Edited by PeterScott

This afternoon 2023

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngEvery Canal Junction Needs One

Forth and Clyde Canal 

Stockingfield Junction

Compare  5Nov1977  15Oct2017 

The new Stockingfield Bridge is "an ambitious £13.7 million project to reconnect three communities in north Glasgow and complete the last linkage in the Forth & Clyde Canal towpath."  and will be officially opened on 3Dec2023

Scottish Canals video here

We met the artist-curator Nichol Wheatley, co-ordinator of the community arts project, which continues for another five years. He and his team were adding more touches to the base of the support-column (pink picture above). He was confident that a year without spraypaint enthusiasts would continue: padlocks, though, have begun ...

Edited by PeterScott
extra pics
  • Greenie 2

This afternoon 2023

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Kelvin Aqueduct  Forth and Clyde and MaryhillLocks  Compare 5Nov1977 (#2)

spacer.png

and the river from the aqueduct

spacer.png

and birds on the column

Edited by PeterScott
extra pics
  • Greenie 2