Nells Bridge Navigable?

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Just now, Alway Swilby said:

How are the levels at Nells Bridge on the South Oxford at the moment? We're heading north and expect to be there some time tomorrow (Thursday).

Hi Alan

It was passable yesterday but I am not sure today as its pissed it down again here. I will go down a little later to both diamond an Nells locks for you and report back later today if thats ok.

Tim

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Alan

It was passable yesterday but I am not sure today as its pissed it down again here. I will go down a little later to both diamond an Nells locks for you and report back later today if thats ok.

Tim

That would be great, thanks.

Just been for a look. I have taken fotos but for some reason they will not load today?? I am feeding animals for the next couple of hours so will try to download them again later.

Anyway I dont know if its on the way up or down so it is certainly touch and go and will depend on your boat profile. Nothing been either way today that I have seen. Its just over an inch into the red and the weir is level with no drop so if u are familiar with the location you will know your cabin height, thats at the diamond lock. At Nell bridge lock its lapping over the concrete shelf just inside the bridge arch so again some will pass at this level and others will not. I can go down tomoz in the morning around 10 to see if its going up or down if you wish?

Tim

IMG_20191127_144744.jpg

IMG_20191127_144808.jpg

IMG_20191127_145819.jpg

IMG_20191127_145821.jpg

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just been for a look. I have taken fotos but for some reason they will not load today?? I am feeding animals for the next couple of hours so will try to download them again later.

Anyway I dont know if its on the way up or down so it is certainly touch and go and will depend on your boat profile. Nothing been either way today that I have seen. Its just over an inch into the red and the weir is level with no drop so if u are familiar with the location you will know your cabin height, thats at the diamond lock. At Nell bridge lock its lapping over the concrete shelf just inside the bridge arch so again some will pass at this level and others will not. I can go down tomoz in the morning around 10 to see if its going up or down if you wish?

Tim

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. We sit pretty low in the water so I think we might head that way and take a look tomorrow. We're currently at Somerton Meadows (actually a lake) so we'll get there when we get there.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alway Swilby said:

Thanks. I think we'll come and have a try.

Well all you need to do is edge out of the diamond lock at dead slow as you are probably aware as I spose youve done it b4? Theres nowt about and if you cant get under just reverse back past the lock mooring and hold out there. There are NO boats there at present so you will have no problem. ?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Well all you need to do is edge out of the diamond lock at dead slow as you are probably aware as I spose youve done it b4? Theres nowt about and if you cant get under just reverse back past the lock mooring and hold out there. There are NO boats there at present so you will have no problem. ?

I have been that way before but not in flood. I sort of thought there would be a strong flow across the head of the diamond lock from right to left and therefore I would need to power on a bit to get to the canal bit beyond?

1 minute ago, Alway Swilby said:

I have been that way before but not in flood. I sort of thought there would be a strong flow across the head of the diamond lock from right to left and therefore I would need to power on a bit to get to the canal bit beyond?

The flow will be zero problem. Its fairly quick at present but as you edge out of the diamond lock the front of you boat will run along the very substantial wood framing guarding the weir and footbridge to your left. Its a very short run and you are clear of the river bit in just a few feet. Running along the wood is no problem unless your a shiney boater with dangly things? In fairness its no problem even for shiny boaters ?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

The flow will be zero problem. Its fairly quick at present but as you edge out of the diamond lock the front of you boat will run along the very substantial wood framing guarding the weir and footbridge to your left. Its a very short run and you are clear of the river bit in just a few feet. Running along the wood is no problem unless your a shiney boater with dangly things? In fairness its no problem even for shiny boaters ?

The boat is no longer shiny and we don't travel with dangly things down! Thanks for the advice.

Just now, Alway Swilby said:

The boat is no longer shiny and we don't travel with dangly things down! Thanks for the advice.

No problem. In case you dont want to travel much further tomorrow and assuming you get through,  the moorings at the top opposite the pig place are empty just for your info.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No problem. In case you dont want to travel much further tomorrow and assuming you get through,  the moorings at the top opposite the pig place are empty just for your info.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is that so you claim your drink?

I gave up drinking till after the election!

• 3 weeks later...

Just been down for a look for a couple of members coming this way. I have added to this thread so u can see older fotos when a member did manage to get through last time. However it is significantly up today, it does get much worse but it certainly a no go for the majority of boats at this level. If you look at the foto that says " Level indicater " well it is now totaly submerged and well over the top or the red and thats on the river next to the diamond weir lock. The other pictures are the weir which has gone from view and water lapping over the towpath were it is usualy a couple of feet below on this section. The first foto is the indicater at Nell bridge lock showing a little over 1.4 metres whatever that means in English, that is probably to the centre of the arch so the shoulders will be less. If it were me I would wait were you all are if near a pub as its over a mile walk to a pub from here. Having said that I am around for the next couple of days and can give updates and indeed any one stranded I can help with transport if ya need ?

IMG_20191220_143131.jpg

IMG_20191220_140941.jpg

IMG_20191220_141943.jpg

IMG_20191220_141953.jpg

IMG_20191220_142102.jpg

IMG_20191220_142329.jpg

IMG_20191220_142435.jpg

• Greenie 2