Life Jackets

Ernie

Featured Posts

We are looking for a pair of self inflating life jackets as we will be heading down to Limehouse in the not too distant future.

BW use Crew Saver jackets but they are quite expensive.

Also, I believe the self inflaters need servicing once a year ??

Any advice please?

We are looking for a pair of self inflating life jackets as we will be heading down to Limehouse in the not too distant future.

Any advice please?

They are about the best on the market.

When people tell me how cheap you can buy this one and that one in comparison I always say would you buy a cheap used parachute? :)

Any advice please?

Try these at aladdins cave:

Aladdins cave clicky

About half the price of crewsavers.

Sites like Ebay and B&O do them even cheaper but, for something so important, I'd stick with a reputable chandlers (inshore chandlers will probably only stock the dearest, then add a premium, compared to the coastal boys).

They are about the best on the market.

When people tell me how cheap you can buy this one and that one in comparison I always say would you buy a cheap used parachute? :)

Good answer. A similar question came up a short while ago about cheap fire extinguishers. Whilst big price does not guarantee big quality there is in all of us the feeling that sometimes the few extra £ is worthwhile. Look at it liker this - if more expensive the extinguisher / life jacket etc. is £50 dearer that's still less than £1 a week for your peace of mind.

Good answer. A similar question came up a short while ago about cheap fire extinguishers. Whilst big price does not guarantee big quality there is in all of us the feeling that sometimes the few extra £ is worthwhile. Look at it liker this - if more expensive the extinguisher / life jacket etc. is £50 dearer that's still less than £1 a week for your peace of mind.

Fair enough but if the life jacket/ extinguisher is from a reputable supplier and meets the relevant standards then it doesn't hurt to buy the less expensive one.

Crewsavers are excellent life jackets but they also carry a premium for their name.

It's also worth noting that they're not the most expensive either.

Edited by carlt

Any advice please?

Have you considered using ordinary foam life jackets? - they are bulky I know but if you are concerned about cost they are a great deal cheaper than self inflating ones and there are no concerns about servicing. Use them for your trip on the Thames then stuff them away in a locker and next time you drag them out for another foray onto tidal water you can be confident that they'll still float!

You should be able too get kitemarked adult lifejackets (NOT bouyancy aids) for about £25 each if you shop around.

BW use self inflaters because they are working around water every day and need the freedom of movement that they allow. You just want one to be safe for the occasional trip, standing on the back of a boat. In that context the comparison with parachutes and fire extinguishers really doesn't stand up.

John Stevens. MV sara.

Have you considered using ordinary foam life jackets? - they are bulky I know but if you are concerned about cost they are a great deal cheaper than self inflating ones and there are no concerns about servicing. Use them for your trip on the Thames then stuff them away in a locker and next time you drag them out for another foray onto tidal water you can be confident that they'll still float!

You should be able too get kitemarked adult lifejackets (NOT bouyancy aids) for about £25 each if you shop around.

BW use self inflaters because they are working around water every day and need the freedom of movement that they allow. You just want one to be safe for the occasional trip, standing on the back of a boat. In that context the comparison with parachutes and fire extinguishers really doesn't stand up.

John Stevens. MV sara.

I would agree with that approach - it's not just about cost, but more about common sense and fitness for purpose.

Just found out that the Crewsaver auto inflation life jackets should be returned to Crewsaver annually for a service.

Have decided to go for foam jackets, even though the problem we have is storage space when not in use as we live on the boat and storage space is at a premium.

I guess a big advantage with the foam jackets is that you know they are going to work where as the auto inflatable could fail if not serviced regularly!!

Thanks to all for the advice

also note that, standards notwithstanding, some self-inflators have a shorter delay than others. Having been well pinned by a short delayed lifejacket in an upside down craft, I wish I had known this beforehand.

Crewsaver are very good as are others but some cheap versions are not so wonderful.

I use manual ones now. I may well one day drown because I am unconscious, but I won't drowned by my life jacket

Just found out that the Crewsaver auto inflation life jackets should be returned to Crewsaver annually for a service.

Ernie, I am not sure where you got that from. You should return it to Crewsaver for REPAIR if damaged but not routine servicing - although the manual does say that "if you would just like it checked over, we will be happy to inspect, repair and service it at a reasonable cost"

The auto inflation system has a life of 5 years from manufacture (it is date stamped with an expiry date) and replacement is a user operation - most good chandlers hold the spare gas bottles and auto inflation units. The manual has detailed instructions on how to do this. Just check the lifejacket for damage each time you use it.

I use Crewsaver 150N lifejackets on the basis that they are so comfortable and unobtrusive that it is not an effort to wear them.

You might pick up some "show bargains" at the new revived Earls Court Boat Show 1st-9th December

Mike

We have a pair of crewsaver manual-co2 jackets.

- You might be able to get them cheaper if you shop around, but ours where just bought from a convenient outlet and thats what they had.

- Wore them up the tarleton/ribble mission and where glad to have them, that said, on the thames this year we left them on the roof.

Daniel

It is very important with foam types to differentiate between bouyancy aids and life jackets. They have to satisfy different BS requirements. It also important to check life jackets annually, you should look for signs of abrasion, check that the valve is in good order, check all straps and buckles and finally inflate it fully using the mouth inflator and then submerge it and look for bubbles. Scrap if any are seen coming from any part of the jacket.

Our home is the Soar/Trent so wear foam jackets a lot in the winter, I like to have the security of knowing that if I go into the Trent once the shock of the cold has been got over I can inflate the jacket to increase bouyancy and then try and solve the major problem of getting out of the river in full winter clothing. Remember better be safe than sorry.

Sadly, I base my judgment on bitter experience!

There is no place on board my boats for a manual life jacket! That includes my sailing cruiser or on any canal boat that I am on!

If you leave a boat, dingy, pier, jetty, river or canal bank and head towards water, the jacket wants to inflate automatically!

Modern auto jackets give you about ten seconds to get out of the briny before they inflate.

They work on a pressure system I believe, and are not water activated. That's why they don't inflate when its raining etc. When they blow they do so efficiently and effectively.

You may be completely in control of the situation and able to react quickly, great if you are.

But my experience has taught me that when suddenly immerse in cold water, without warning, the cold water catches your breath and a sort of panic tends to set in, tying to fumble for the inflation toggle is ni on impossible.

You may have hurt yourself in the fall and not be able to even think straight, maybe even unconscious. Sudden immersion into cold water can and does cause heart attacks!

I tell you now that when that jacket inflates, buying a rearming kit for 20 quid is the last thing on your mind!

Putting a manual jacket, a bump on the head, and the shock of a cold dunking together may mean your family may have a problem!

Manual inflation life jackets should be left for aircraft!

However, the foam filled sort, have a roll to play. But they tend to be a tad uncomfortable if wearing them for any length of time, because of this they tend to be left off!

But what of Canals? 2ft of water? well, common sense comes into play, I don't wear a jacket on fine days, but when it's a bit wet and slippery, thats a differant ball game!

Most auto jackets I have seen and owned don't have to be sent away. A re-arming kit can be purchased and the gas cylinder etc can be changed by yourself!

Sadly, I base my judgment on bitter experience!

There is no place on board my boats for a manual life jacket! That includes my sailing cruiser or on any canal boat that I am on!

If you leave a boat, dingy, pier, jetty, river or canal bank and head towards water, the jacket wants to inflate automatically!

Modern auto jackets give you about ten seconds to get out of the briny before they inflate.

They work on a pressure system I believe, and are not water activated. That's why they don't inflate when its raining etc. When they blow they do so efficiently and effectively.

You may be completely in control of the situation and able to react quickly, great if you are.

But my experience has taught me that when suddenly immerse in cold water, without warning, the cold water catches your breath and a sort of panic tends to set in, tying to fumble for the inflation toggle is ni on impossible.

You may have hurt yourself in the fall and not be able to even think straight, maybe even unconscious. Sudden immersion into cold water can and does cause heart attacks!

I tell you now that when that jacket inflates, buying a rearming kit for 20 quid is the last thing on your mind!

Putting a manual jacket, a bump on the head, and the shock of a cold dunking together may mean your family may have a problem!

Manual inflation life jackets should be left for aircraft!

However, the foam filled sort, have a roll to play. But they tend to be a tad uncomfortable if wearing them for any length of time, because of this they tend to be left off!

But what of Canals? 2ft of water? well, common sense comes into play, I don't wear a jacket on fine days, but when it's a bit wet and slippery, thats a differant ball game!

Most auto jackets I have seen and owned don't have to be sent away. A re-arming kit can be purchased and the gas cylinder etc can be changed by yourself!

Some good points but in the case of going overboard or falling in due to debilitation even with a self inflator your a bit snookered if the jacket doesnt also come with a crotch strap. Many fatalities are cause by the jacket allowing the wearer to slip through.

There are so many variables and 'what ifs' that you cant provide for every event, Just be ready and prepared and if possible, give yourself training, practice inflation and MOB procedures, Then if you do ever hit the water hopfully some of that training will kick in and help you survive.

Manual co2 or auto inflate, both are very good and shouldnt be discounted, but remember the crotch strap.

But what of Canals? 2ft of water?

There is rather more than 2 feet of water in most locks! And at locks we often go right to the water's edge or cross gates on narrow walkways obstructed by paddle gear.

Added to which, when a lock is being filled, all the turbulence and white water swirling around shows that the water is being oxygenated as it enters, reducing the buoyancy of the water. That makes it more difficult for even a strong swimmer to stay afloat.

this is getting out of hand, chaps.

soon we will be talking ourselves into wearing inflatable lifejackets each time we go near a lock.

may I suggest we rationalise for a moment:

- lifejackets are appropriate for children and non-swimmers when they are near water.

- lifejackets are appropriate for adults in tideways, fast flowing rivers and similar potentially hazardous situations.

- life rings should always be available to assist anyone who falls into a lock or off a boat.

soon we will be talking ourselves into wearing inflatable lifejackets each time we go near a lock.

- lifejackets are appropriate for children and non-swimmers when they are near water.

- lifejackets are appropriate for adults in tideways, fast flowing rivers and similar potentially hazardous situations.

- life rings should always be available to assist anyone who falls into a lock or off a boat.

Absolutely right!

John MV Sara.

Spot on!

Safety is very important but can be taken too far.

Your quite right although the original post was about the tideway.

Lets get back to unlicens/ced boats

or wooden ex-lifeboats :)

Ernie, I am not sure where you got that from. You should return it to Crewsaver for REPAIR if damaged but not routine servicing - although the manual does say that "if you would just like it checked over, we will be happy to inspect, repair and service it at a reasonable cost"

The auto inflation system has a life of 5 years from manufacture (it is date stamped with an expiry date) and replacement is a user operation - most good chandlers hold the spare gas bottles and auto inflation units. The manual has detailed instructions on how to do this. Just check the lifejacket for damage each time you use it.

I use Crewsaver 150N lifejackets on the basis that they are so comfortable and unobtrusive that it is not an effort to wear them.

You might pick up some "show bargains" at the new revived Earls Court Boat Show 1st-9th December

Mike

Hi Mike,

I got the info off the Crewsaver web site - quote:

Servicing Recommendations

We recommend that all Crewsaver inflatable Lifejackets are serviced annually by our approved Crewsaver Service Station, detailed below

http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/Crewsaver/Servi...ions/index.html

I will give them a call tomorrow. I heard elsewhere that the service interval was every 4 years (from a dealer).

Thanks for the info.

Thanks to all for the useful and constructive comments.

I have come to a decision, a pair of Crewsaver auto inflaters will soon be on order. We will be going down the Thames to Limehouse this year and down the Trent on the way to York next spring.

There is a very real danger that we would not bother to wear the foam jackets due to the fact that they are so cumbersome (we already carry one on board for when the grandson visits).

While travelling down the Severn just after the river was re-opened following the floods in the summer, it crossed my mind on more than one occasion that if we were to end up overboard, due to the fast flow of the river and the temperature of the water, we would have been in big trouble (we are both very strong swimmers).

I would hate to cut our pleasure of continuous cruising of the inland waterways short by the inconvenience of drowning, especially over the cost of what amounts to an evening out in the pub (or two)!!!

Thanks to all for the useful and constructive comments.

I have come to a decision, a pair of Crewsaver auto inflaters will soon be on order. We will be going down the Thames to Limehouse this year and down the Trent on the way to York next spring.

There is a very real danger that we would not bother to wear the foam jackets due to the fact that they are so cumbersome (we already carry one on board for when the grandson visits).

While travelling down the Severn just after the river was re-opened following the floods in the summer, it crossed my mind on more than one occasion that if we were to end up overboard, due to the fast flow of the river and the temperature of the water, we would have been in big trouble (we are both very strong swimmers).

I would hate to cut our pleasure of continuous cruising of the inland waterways short by the inconvenience of drowning, especially over the cost of what amounts to an evening out in the pub (or two)!!!

Ernie, as recommend by a previous poster, I would recommend getting the crutch straps with the lifejackets which prevent it from slipping over your head (or you slipping out below). But take care when tightening them!!! I also have the splash hoods on mine - but that is really for sea use.

Ernie, as recommend by a previous poster, I would recommend getting the crutch straps with the lifejackets which prevent it from slipping over your head (or you slipping out below). But take care when tightening them!!! I also have the splash hoods on mine - but that is really for sea use.

wise words