Life Jackets

Ernie

Featured Posts

I phoned Crewsaver this afternoon and was informed that although their life jackets carry a full 3 year warrantee, they still advise that the jackets are returned for inspection/service once a year. Their explanation was that the triggering mechanism can corrode and then fail to operate when needed. Apparently, corrosion can take place even with minimal exposure to moisture. Personally, I find this hard to believe but I guess they are the experts on their own products.

I explained that we live on the boat and that receiving packages can present problems for us as we are continuously on the move. They told me that we could return the jackets to various designated centres and pick them up again once serviced. I didn’t enquire as to where and how many centres there are.

I was chatting to a BW employee and he confirmed that their Crewsaver jackets were returned once a year for servicing.

I think I will still go ahead and buy a couple of Crewsaver jackets as the advantages of small size and reputation outweighs the added cost and hassle of having to have them serviced.

Thanks for the advice on crotch straps, sounds like a good idea.