Jump to content

Grumpy Bear

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Grumpy Bear

  1. Have a look at Benson Waterfront. I have used them on 2 trips to slip in and out. Very helpful outfit with a large slipway. About 6 miles below Osney bridge.
  2. The Great Ouse and its tributaries are in a different EA region to the Thames, and therefore need a separate registration and fee. Also, the EA Anglian Region registration year runs from 1st Apr to 31st Mar not Jan to Dec like the Thames!!! The River Cam is different again and requires a Cam licence. You couldn't make this up could you. It really is ridiculous but as said earlier would take a host of Acts of Parliament to resolve which will not happen.
  3. Don't forget that Denver Lock is currently scheduled for Winter Closure 21st Feb - 13 Mar 17. Keep an eye on this. Experience suggests that the date will move and/or extend.
  4. My map at http://grumpybeartoo.org.uk is up to date and shows all GOBA, EA and Town moorings.
  5. The Elsan points are on my map on a separate layer. Expect to pay £2 or so to empty your elsan in marina facilities. Free ones at Denver, Ely, Cambridge, St Ives and Cardington Lock. We have a porta potty and don't have an issue with it. Never more than a day or so away from an emptying point but expect to pay.
  6. If you visit my site at http://grumpybeartoo.org.ukyou will find an interactive map of the Great Ouse system showing where all the essential facilities are. It loads in Google Maps and is good on Smartphones and Ipads etc Don't forget the Anglian Waters are a bit different. We leave locks as they are on exit - ie both V doors all the way open but with slackers (paddles) down or Guillotine gate fully up depending on which way you are going. You don't have to go back and close anything. Leave as is for the next boater. Also have bow and stern lines available as we turn off engines in locks. Locals get very Grumpy if you run your engine in a lock. Lastly, there is no "towpath side". The land on both sides of the river is privately owned and is not necessarily available to moor. Enjoy the wonderful Anglian waterways.
  7. A useful statement on council tax and boaters can be found here: clicky
  8. The "Engineers" bridge is about 3/4 inch higher than the bridge over the lock so take care. Pictures of this part of the river can be found on the Priory Moorers website: clicky Today the river is about a foot above normal
  9. Full details of the ICC and CEVNI can be found on the RYA website here: clicky The RYA will issue ICCs to both UK Nationals and UK Residents. If you are a UK Resident nationality is not a problem. If you are not a UK National or Resident, then the ICC will have to be issued by the relevant authority in your country of residence or nationality. The application form (available here) states at the top: ELIGIBILITY This certificate is available only to British citizens and bona fide British Residents over the age of 16. Evidence of residency for non-citizens will be required in the form of a photocopy of a driving licence, utility bill, Council Tax bill or bank statement etc. Further authenticated evidence of residency for non-citizens may be required. The ICC is acceptable for British citizens or residents using a British flagged vessel for leisure. Other countries may accept the ICC for their native flagged vessels. You can take the ICC practical test at most RYA practical training centres - inland or coastal - and you can also take the CEVNI written test at the same time. If you have a current qualification such as Inland Waterways Helmsman's Certificate then the practical test is not required. Last month I tested a UK Resident French national for an ICC and there was no problem with her getting a certificate. Regards Mike
  10. Fuzzyduck That is indeed me, guilty as charged, although I did not post in a "GOBA" capacity. My initial posting was intended to seek answers from predominently narrowboaters on an issue which I had been asked about and I apologise if my sub heading "taking the biscuit?" was OTT, but I did suggest in my post that, in general, overstaying does the cause of CC NBers no good. I posted because I do enjoy reading the lively debates on this forum, although I do not accord with personal abuse, and knew a representative view would emerge. The fact is, that on the Great Ouse system there is an unfortunate dislike and prejudice against NBs, particularly CCers. This is most certainly not the position of GOBA although it is the stance of many GOBA members - of which there are some 3000. Overall, there is a lack of moorings on the system, which gets far worse as you proceed beyond Ely in the Cambridge/Bedford directions. I asked in my post "What do you think". Well, ignoring the personal insults I have got the answer. You generally think there is no problem with NB No Problem being on the mooring, and I note that this is the opinion of several GOBA members who have posted on this website and the GOBA forum. There is a lot of sympathy for Sue on No Problem and I can see why - particularly following the theft of diesel which is extremely unpleasant - and worrying because it might have taken place on a very public mooring with the owners onboard or in the near vicinity - although, as Sue says somewhere between Oundle and Ely seems more likely. Looking from others perspective, this particular 48 hour visitor mooring is in a key position in Ely, popular, and this is a busy time. The initial blog, whether intended or not, could be read as saying - look, there is no problem overstaying in Ely, nobody bothers to check (and I know Sue did not mean it in that way) - when in reality overstaying is a big problem in Ely, and a lot of people get very emotional about it. Also, it has been said, since the mooring is adjacent to a boat yard with workshop facilities, and immediately opposite a NB friendly marina with vacant moorings and workshop facilities - after 23 days, could not the boat have been moved to what some consider a more appropriate mooring - and vacating the visitor mooring. (Yes, I know Bridge Boat Yard are doing the work) There is also a view that the owner should have approached the EA, who are a phone call away, with their predicament rather than wait for the EA to come to them. Then it would have been obvious to all what the problem was. So, two sides to the argument, and I am sorry that Sue has been upset by the level of response to her plight. Boating should be enjoyable, that is why we do it after all. I will be in Ely tomorrow at the Aquafest on the GOBA stand. I am the one with tin helmet and flak jacket, and look forward to meeting everyone. Unfortunately, Grumpy Bear is stuck in the weed at Bedford. On the subject of getting involved with EA moorings mentioned in a posting above. One view is that it is purely up to the landowner to decide their mooring policy and "police" it. To a degree that is true, particularly with privately owned land, but if we did not seek to influence that policy and the policing of it there would, for example, be no visitor moorings in Cambridge at all. You will recall the issue a couple of years ago when Cambridge City Council suspended all visitor moorings and banned visiting boats. New topic maybe but should GOBA have got involved in that campaign or not? You will recall that the Council backed down when it was clear that our declaration to take them to the High Court was not a bluff. Regards Mike
  11. Oh Dear Oh Dear Notwithstanding any of the above, my sympathies are now entirely with Sue on NB Problem. It seems today that at some time their whole diesel fuel load was stolen from the boat. Just Posted on the Camboaters website: clicky That is just unspeakable. How can it happen on a very public mooring on the Ely waterfront> Regards Mike
  12. Certainly not malicious, nor ignorant. My point is this. Comments that "Funnily enough, we have not been approached by the Environment Agency about our stay here.. the only person we have seen is a lady from the Council presumably, who passed by on day 3, when we explained to her that we would be here for a week or so.. not seen that lady since" seem to identify Ely as a good place to overstay and therefore encourages such activity (maybe unintentionally), - particularly given the later comments about the court case and the low fine given to a 4 month overstayer and how happy he was at his cheap deal. The notice board shown in one picture clearly describes the mooring as an EA 48 hour mooring, and gives the EA phone number (01480 414581 and the 0800 number) to call in the event of problems. This seemingly has not been done but doing so could avert any stress when the EA pitch up on Saturday with their boats for the Ely Aquafest. Overstaying boats is a very sensitive issue in Ely and surrounding area where NBs are far from popular with local boaters, representing less than 20% of the registrations on the Great Ouse. This type of situation tends to exacerbate the problem and hence I first saw the link to the blog on another local forum with vociferous complaints and it was also emailed to me. Being NB friendly myself, I thought I would seek comments from the CanalWorld fraternity (which I have been a member of for some years) on their views. Nothing malicious or ignorant intended; my sincere apologies if that is how it came across. This weekend, Ely Aquafest takes place, there will be many visitors and moorings will be in short supply, and I would not like Sue to come under any personal flack from local boaters. A visit to the EA tent in Jubilee Gardens just down from her mooring maybe appropriate. The inspectors will all be there. Best Regards Mike (Grumpy Bear is the name of my Boat!)
  13. Here is a blog entry from a narrowboater bragging about overstaying on a 48hr mooring at Ely for 23 days!!! In peak season on a popular mooring. This really does the cause of CC NBers no good at all. What do you think? Clicky Regards Mike
  14. On EA Waterways eg The Great Ouse, where I moor, the tender also has to be licensed at the same rate as a separate vessel of its class - except that it is not given its own unique registration number, it is given the "parent boats number/tender" on the licence which must be stuck on it somewhere. On the Great Ouse system a small dinghy would be a "Manually propelled vessel up to 5m in length". It can have an auxiliary engine ie outboard of not more than 4HP at no extra cost. This year's fee is £19.98. The only issue as to how far it can go from the parent vessel etc relates to marina fees. Some marinas will charge for it if it is left in the water - and/or charge for the extra length of the parent boat if it is hanging off the back end. Mike
  15. You can join GOBA online by visiting their website at www.goba.org.uk. Their are 2 new GOBA moorings on the Cam for this season. clicky The Cam byelaws are rather different to the canals and other rivers. The rowers can close the river to navigation for races, and race marshal instructions must be followed. Also, at all times as you approach "The Plough" at Fen Ditton watch out for the signs to indicate a change of navigation from right to left and vice-versa. To give the rowers a straight line on the bendy river, t he rules of road change from driving on the right to driving on the left - and then back again. This applies to all boats - keep a lookout for the signs. Look forward to seeing you all over the summer Mike
  16. Why not go completely "off piste" as it were and try the River Great Ouse. You can hire day boats at Huntingdon and St Ives. A very beautiful river. Mike
  17. The EA are looking for seasonal river inspectors and relief lock-keepers for the Great Ouse and Nene for this summer. Full time and part time. Details here: clicky Mike
  18. Strong Stream Advice for the River Great Ouse between Bedford and Earith was cancelled this morning. Mike
  19. The River Inspectors for the Great Ouse are as follows: EA • Environment Agency - for the Great Ouse, Bedford to Godmanchester: MATT YALLOP on 01480 483932 - for the Great Ouse, Godmanchester to Popes Corner: MATTHEW RYAN ON 01480 483956 - for the Great Ouse, Popes Corner to Denver, Cam, Lark, Little Ouse, Wissey: MERVYN DAY on 01480 483673 River users are also able to telephone the Agency's Floodline Information Service to hear a recorded message which will inform users whether Strong Stream Advice is on or off. To do this complete the following steps: Call Floodline, the number is - 0845 9881188 - You will be welcomed to Floodline and offered different touch tone options Choose option '1' by dialling '1' on your phone to 'listen to pre-recorded information for flood warnings currently in force' Then enter one of the following quick dial SSA numbers: River Nene 032112 River Great Ouse 033211 River Ancholme 031212 Mike
  20. Walton Training http://www.waltontraining.co.uk Walton Training provides RYA Shorebased Theory Courses including VHF Radio and CEVNI. Located in Bedfordshire, the principal also has extensive experience on UK Inland Waterways Mike
  21. For further details of the Bedford River Festival - and download entry forms etc - have a look at the Priory Moorers website here: clicky On the menu bar look under "BRUG" and "Events" Mike
  22. The requirements to hold a Boatmaster licence can be found here: clicky Para 3.2 is as clear as the murkiest of cuts. The BML is "suitable" for vessels carrying no more than 12 passengers... but is it required? Para 3.3 seems to say only if local bye-laws or legislation are in force. (It is definately required for more than 12 passengers) Mike
  23. More likely they don't have planning permission for residential moorers. Could be a problem in the long term.
  24. Announced closures on the River Great Ouse can be found here: Clicky
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.