lpg pipework and electric cables

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Wasn’t it a GS registered chap who recently killed his family with a bodged generator mod?

Indeed it was'

A gas fitter has been given a two-year suspended jail sentence after his partner and her daughter died from carbon monoxide poisoning on a boat.

Kelly Webster and 10-year-old Lauren Thornton were overcome by fumes from the boat's generator on Windermere.

Matthew Eteson, 42, had modified the system to make it quieter but a makeshift exhaust failed, allowing lethal gases to build up.

He was found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence last month.

Mr Eteson's training as a "gas safe" installer should have made potential risks obvious, the jury was told.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34810360

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

I am currently trying to sort my boat which has suffered from a lifetime of corner cutting, pig ignorance, and "professional" bodging,  as far as I know they were experienced people who worked on the boat, no paper trail, no formal documentation. Several safety and many good practice issues. A total pia.

Not saying it is impossible to do a good job, but it is not a good start if one relies on the forum rather than formal researching and deciding how to proceed to a predetermined conclusion.

But you still bought it when they wanted to sell it. My boat is a self fitout, what is installed suits me, when I sell it I wont get the same price as I would if it was a Hudson, but it didn't cost me Hudson prices when I launched it. My biggest fear is if something happens and I have an insurance claim because I wont get enough cash to buy another boat like it

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

Wasn’t it a GS registered chap who recently killed his family with a bodged generator mod?

Or am I mis-remembering that? (I seem to do that more and more these days). 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/56a20e2040f0b667ce00002b/MAIBInvReport_2_2015.pdf

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I guess that most (all) of us do a bodge at times, but I think that bodges should be limited to non safety-critical things.

Not only bodging an exhaust where the solder melted, but cutting into the 110v electrical system taping up 'the ends' and feeding 230v down it.

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But you still bought it when they wanted to sell it.

Yes, I bought it, but that does not mean that I was aware that there were serious safety issues. In my innocence I assumed that people who lived and worked on their own boat would make sure they were safe.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, I bought it, but that does not mean that I was aware that there were serious safety issues. In my innocence I assumed that people who lived and worked on their own boat would make sure they were safe.

Surely one of the key reasons to use a surveyor is to highlight potential safety defects.

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely one of the key reasons to use a surveyor is to highlight potential safety defects.

No surveyor would have found all these issues. It took me quite a while, and involved stripping down the electrics, not something a surveyor or a BSS inspector would do. 

Just take the stove installation ......... there is no manual, so one cannot compare with manufacturers recommendations.

My salty water experience and qualifications make me more aware of H&S than the average person, but when shove comes to push, one cannot challenge everything, if, for example, an experienced surveyor issues a BSS Certificate, one expects that the requirements were met on the date of issue, but one cannot be 100% sure ... DAMHIK.

Edited by LadyG

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

if, for example, an experienced surveyor issues a BSS Certificate, one expects that the requirements were met on the date of issue, but one cannot be 100% sure

In my experience you can be 100% sure that he has missed something in his examination.

However a surveyor will spend many hours and charge many £100's for his survey, you would expect he would find things that 'you' would not be expected to find.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

My salty water experience and qualifications make me more aware of H&S than the average person, but when shove comes to push, one cannot challenge everything, if, for example, an experienced surveyor issues a BSS Certificate, one expects that the requirements were met on the date of issue, but one cannot be 100% sure ... DAMHIK.

did you get your salty water experience in your current location just south of pitlockry, or was it in kansas? 

you seem to take a delight in confusing us with your location, and if I recall, even your gender.

sometimes I wonder if you're actually in cloud cuckoo land.

.................  oh, and I think most experienced surveyors wouldn't stoop to doing a BSS examination unless it was a subordinate part of a proper survey; as ADF implies a proper surveyor will charge you several hundred pounds, whilst a BSS inspector may charge as little as £100 including the cost of the BSS certificate.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

did you get your salty water experience in your current location just south of pitlockry, or was it in kansas? 

you seem to take a delight in confusing us with your location, and if I recall, even your gender.

.................  oh, and I think most experienced surveyors wouldn't stoop to doing a BSS examination unless it was a subordinate part of a proper survey; as ADF implies a proper surveyor will charge you several hundred pounds, whilst a BSS inspector may charge as little as £100 including the cost of the BSS certificate.

?or Oz?

Edited by LadyG

25 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Several issues with this person. There is a suggestion that there is more than one name for this member, sockpuppet, bipolar, split personality etc.

After the last time I tried to help he/she/it called me a really bad name. I have added them all to my ignore list.

No great loss as it talks rubbish most of the time.

• Horror 1

17 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Several issues with this person. There is a suggestion that there is more than one name for this member, sockpuppet, bipolar, split personality etc.

After the last time I tried to help he/she/it called me a really bad name. I have added them all to my ignore list.

and I thought it was just me.   cheers  B)  

28 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

How is Hider these days?:giggles:

Edited by rusty69
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

moi?

19 hours ago, LadyG said:

I am currently trying to sort my boat which has suffered from a lifetime of corner cutting, pig ignorance, and "professional" bodging,  as far as I know they were experienced people who worked on the boat, no paper trail, no formal documentation. Several safety and many good practice issues. A total pia.

Not saying it is impossible to do a good job, but it is not a good start if one relies on the forum rather than formal researching and deciding how to proceed to a predetermined conclusion.

I'm not sure who you're referring to? Who's relying on the forum? We all ask questions from time to time. That doesn't indicate reliance. I relied on the BSS Essential Guide second edition at the time I started fitting out my boat 15 years ago. I also often asked for advice on this forum for things that weren't covered in the BSS guide. As I said earlier, plenty of owners fit out their own boats, but with varying results obviously.

Edited by blackrose

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

Well that's a foolish assumption. I've seen a lot of awful, unsafe boats that people have been living on

7 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Ok, I was thinking that her posts didn't make much sense. I'll stop taking them seriously.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Well that's a foolish assumption. I've seen a lot of awful, unsafe boats that people have been living on

Indeed, but not people who claim to be boat electricians  among other things, and who actually expend considerable energy in covering up BSS fails WHICH THEY HAVE CREATED for no logical reason. 

The BSS inspector [and surveyor]  refunded his fee [to me], and will re-certify once the fail has been rectified. He attended within 24 hours. 

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Ok, I was thinking that her posts didn't make much sense. I'll stop taking them seriously.

Boater Sam has a well deserved reputation for being a real life Victor Meldrew, and I did once swear at him, I was driven to it. I apologise.

SAM: fgs put me back on ignore!

Edited by LadyG