water filters

gollum

Featured Posts

The expensive ceramic filters work well. I tasted some tap water on a neighbour's boat and it tasted much better than the stuff from my Brita jug. Apparently you could filter canal water to drinking quality but then your element probably wouldn't last very long.

He had the Seagull IV X1F http://www.purewateronline.co.uk/#683X0

Make sure you are sitting down before you click on that link - they are expensive!

Edited by blackrose

The expensive ceramic filters work well. I tasted some tap water on a neighbour's boat and it tasted much better than the stuff from my Brita jug. Apparently you could filter canal water to drinking quality but then your element probably wouldn't last very long.

He had the Seagull IV X1F http://www.purewateronline.co.uk/#683X0

Make sure you are sitting down before you click on that link - they are expensive!

Hi, just had a look on purewater site, they sound just the thing, but your right thats a lot of money, a brita jug will have to do for now ,thanks alot Paul.

Hi, just had a look on purewater site, they sound just the thing, but your right thats a lot of money, a brita jug will have to do for now ,thanks alot Paul.

Something to bear in mind.

A few years ago Thames Water did some testing in houses with fixed water filters and came to the conclusion (well they would, wouldn't they) that many of the houses with filters were actually drinking more bacteria contaminated water than those without. The reason was that the filters were not being changed often enough and were acting as a culture.

I suspect the cost, availability and ease of changing jug filters has a lot going for it, even if they are less effective.

Tony Brooks

We have had an Aquafilter (available at most chandlers) fitted on our boat for the past eight years. I cannot verify that it filters out every horrible thing that might lurk in the tank, but we have both survived without any ill effects so far.

Hi, does anybody know anything about inline water filters, what sort, price, and do they work etc. Thanks, Paul.

I looked at the expensive ones and ended up fitting a £25 inline filter from Wickes which is connected to the feed to the galley cold tap. We use the water from that for cooking and filling the kettle. The flow is much slower than an ordinary tap so you have to wait a while to fill your kettle, pan etc but you're not in a hurry when you're on the boat are you? They send your first replacement cartridge for free (well it's included in the purchase price) and replacement cartridges are not expensive, around £15 or less. It may not be as effective as the more expensive options but it's much more likely that you'll replace the filter cartridge on a regular basis as the costs are a lot lower.

Stewart

I don't think chlorine's the issue cos your water tank would do pretty much the same job! Its the concern about bugs multiplying in the tank once the chlorine has gone which concerns people. (Probably the same bugs that multiply inside your Brita water filter lol)

Re having a third tap, my mate has a similar system except it pumps water from a separate smaller tank under the sink. He changes this water regularly for drinking, and uses the normal tap for washing up etc. I think he's a bit paranoid frankly especially as most water is boiled and has tea or coffee stirred into it before anyone drinks it.

I once heard that if you leave a clear glass or plastic bottle of water out in sunlight for 24 hours the UV will kill any bacteria present. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm not considering this on the boat, just been watching too much Ray Mears & Bear Grills & thinking about honing my survivalist skills. B)

Hi,

I thought these filters were to absorb chemicals, not kill bugs.

However I understand they add small trace of a silver compound to the water to stop bugs breeding in the filter, maybe this kills any incoming bugs too?

When filling the tank I'd have thought the chlorine in the incoming water would kill any bugs in the tank.

I've never heard of poisoning from water standing in tanks though, far more likely to get gippy tummy from a post pub kebab, surely? B)

cheers,

Pete.

Are we comparing the price of a single bottle of water to a water filtration kit? Surely it depends how much bottled water you get through over the service life of the filter, plus the cost of fetching, carrying & disposing of all those bottles. Anyway, I don't think that wanting to drink water that tastes good is down to paranoia.

Edited by blackrose

Are we comparing the price of a single bottle of water to a water filtration kit? Surely it depends how much bottled water you get through over the service life of the filter, plus the cost of fetching, carrying & disposing of all those bottles. Anyway, I don't think that wanting to drink water that tastes good is down to paranoia.

Thanks to everybody who replyed,its funny though you dont even think about the water at home, thats in a tank with who nose what else,thanks again Paul.

Thanks to everybody who replyed,its funny though you dont even think about the water at home, thats in a tank with who nose what else,thanks again Paul.

You do not worry about drinking water at home because your cold water should come direct from the mains to the taps, hence it has been chlorinated at the treatment plant to a certain level and all the way to your taps will not have had contact with air, hence it will still be chlorinated when it arrives and hence on the whole it will be fit for drinking. You have a cold water tank in the loft but that is only to supply the hot water system and the advice is you should not drink from the hot water because you do not know how many dead pigeons are in your loft and are floating in the header tank.

Peter

You do not worry about drinking water at home because your cold water should come direct from the mains to the taps, hence it has been chlorinated at the treatment plant to a certain level and all the way to your taps will not have had contact with air, hence it will still be chlorinated when it arrives and hence on the whole it will be fit for drinking. You have a cold water tank in the loft but that is only to supply the hot water system and the advice is you should not drink from the hot water because you do not know how many dead pigeons are in your loft and are floating in the header tank.

Peter

Peter

You are absolutely right but in some old piping systems the cold water that is supplied to the bathroom basin (and bath) is from the cold water tank and people clean their teeth in that.

Maybe the toothpaste gives protection in this case B)

Having said that I am still here after living in such a house for over ten years.

If you have tanks in your loft then only the kitchen tap will be fresh water. I swapped mine out about three years ago for a sealed ("megaflo") system and have been delighted. No tanks in the loft at all, high pressure showers and drinking water from all cold taps throughout the house.

Chris

Edited by chris w

Looks like Screwfix are having a clearout of their filters...

I fitted one of these in my house when having a new kitchen fitted http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...90&id=37975

You can definately tell the difference, I accendientally used the "normal" tap the other day and really noticed it.

Apparantly.. Removes 99.99% Disease Causing Giardia & Cryptosporidium Cysts

Whatever that means! B)

Or the big daddy of them...

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...90&id=24605

5 Stage Point Of Use Reverse Osmosis System

p2630169_l.jpg

Edited by stuart

If you have tanks in your loft then only the kitchen tap will be fresh water. I swapped mine out about three years ago for a sealed ("megaflo") system and have been delighted. No tanks in the loft at all, high pressure showers and drinking water from all cold taps throughout the house.

Chris

Not necessarily, my present house has mains, not tank, water at the bathroom basin and I do have a cold water tank in the loft.

Peter

You are absolutely right but in some old piping systems the cold water that is supplied to the bathroom basin (and bath) is from the cold water tank and people clean their teeth in that.

Maybe the toothpaste gives protection in this case :)

I've brushed my teeth from the tap in countries where the water isn't for drinking - it's the spitting out which gives the protection.

I used to brush my teeth with Coke (the liquid kind!) years ago in Russia.

Chris

I have done the same with bottled water. Whisky is better, it may also sterilise your mouth aaaand you do not have to spit it out :) . Tested successfully during many overseas trips. I worry about showers at times as they can create a very fine mist which is readily taken in whilst breathing which apparently has been one route into the body for Legionella. Showering in coke or whiskey is taking things a little bit too far :lol: .

Peter F