Stencil or Vinyl?

LadyG

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, dmr said:

Boats should be painted by hand with a brush, and signwritten by a proper canal based signwriter, if everybody uses vinyl and stencils then this bit of canal tradition will be lost. You don't have to employ a grand master like Dave Moore, there are several up and coming "youngsters" who are always looking for work.

and vinyl looks crap when it starts to peel off.

and if Dave Moore did do it (and he's a fussy old git about what he will do :) ) then it would likely add value to your boat.

...............Dave

I think it might add value in some cases, but my budget is £200 or less!

and I suspect he would be a refusenick as my ideas are not traditional, also the two sides are not "exactly" the same at the moment ? [ran out of weather] 

Edited by LadyG

Thanks Dave for the endorsement, much appreciated. I’m not bidding for this job, only trying to add helpful comments. If the boat is outside, then at this time of year I’d be very wary of putting paint on due to the very narrow drying time window, non existent some days. I’m happy enough in heated paint docks for the autumn/winter.

17 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Thanks Dave for the endorsement, much appreciated. I’m not bidding for this job, only trying to add helpful comments. If the boat is outside, then at this time of year I’d be very wary of putting paint on due to the very narrow drying time window, non existent some days. I’m happy enough in heated paint docks for the autumn/winter.

Yes, well I dont think it would work with my paint, too risky ///////////////

The guys round here are pretty cheap, say £200, but as I say, I did not  use conventional paint. That was one reason for thinking about a stencil, but the weather looks pretty bad. I've struggled to do any painting, just a few hours in the last fortnight. and it's not perfect ................ yet.

It looks fine on a rainy day :). It certainly "beads up" the rain .............. is this typical of new paint jobs?

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, dave moore said:

I had to go down the weedhatch this morning and suddenly realised that winter is indeed almost here, never mind about heated docks, its probably time to find a nice warm pub and wait for the spring.

.............Dave.

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

I had to go down the weedhatch this morning and suddenly realised that winter is indeed almost here, never mind about heated docks, its probably time to find a nice warm pub and wait for the spring.

.............Dave.

That would be a holy inadequate solution.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

That would be a holy inadequate solution.

Stopped at Rhode Heath tonight and went for a pint, the pub was probably perfectly adequate but after the Inadequate everything else is sort of inadequate.

..................Dave

• Haha 1

Have a look at www.stickonsigns.co.uk.  Several members of this forum have in the past used their custom designed vinyl lettering. They can and do supply stencils as an alternative to vinyl.

Regarding letter heights; most fonts have larger O, C, G & C capital letters to give the lettering a balanced look. It's nothing to do with the vinyl cutting. 

As has been said, proper sign writing transforms a boat into something of quality. And I was gobsmacked at how quickly it can be done. Just an afternoon to do both sides of ours. Consequently, perhaps not as expensive as you think.

Yes I agree with Dave, vinyl is “too perfect” aka soul-less. But your budget is what it is. We have a lad in the gliding club whose dad has Ecosse Signs, Bellshill (SE of Glasgow)They do a lot of vehicle vinyl, including complete car wraps (there’s an idea - wrap your boat in vinyl, instead ot painting it! I can vouch for the quality of their work, although they are not particularly cheap.

Whilst this subject is up, what is the learned opinion on an amateur myopic semi-competent beagle being able to repaint old, past it's sell by date lettering. This was done many years ago by a talented young chap, but is now beginning to look worn and faded.

I am tempted to have a go in the spring, but fear I may make it worse. 

Deleted images. 

Edited by rusty69
deleted images

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

looks a bit like a dog's dinner, if you don't mind my sayin' so.

as it happens, I do mind you saying so .................. particularly as you have not seen it..

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

As has been said, proper sign writing transforms a boat into something of quality. And I was gobsmacked at how quickly it can be done. Just an afternoon to do both sides of ours. Consequently, perhaps not as expensive as you think.

Yes I agree with Dave, vinyl is “too perfect” aka soul-less. But your budget is what it is. We have a lad in the gliding club whose dad has Ecosse Signs, Bellshill (SE of Glasgow)They do a lot of vehicle vinyl, including complete car wraps (there’s an idea - wrap your boat in vinyl, instead ot painting it! I can vouch for the quality of their work, although they are not particularly cheap.

Obviously "not particularly cheap" is a no no. 

The whole point of coating aka painting is to protect the boat. The secondary  porpoise  is to look pretty. imho.

I am not really wanting my boat taken over by signwriters, its  "my home", so I want it as I want it [weep].

If someone particularly wants a hand painted boat, then, fine, let them design their own paintwork.

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Which Golden Lion did you have in mind? :D

As far as I know there is only one Golden Lion. the others are just pubs.

Just hope CRT manage to fix that lock on the Rochdale 9 in the next few days.

Might pop down onto the Weaver tomoro for a quick visit to the Salty Dog while we wait.

Looks like a lot of longish stoppages on the Rochdale over winter so we need to make some plans soon. Getting stuck for 3 solid months right outside the Golden Lion might be too much even for me.

I like boating, in the last 6 weeks we have visited the Three Horseshoes in Bradford on Avon, The Barge at Honeystreet, The Old Bookbinders in Oxford, The Greyhound, The Swan in Stone, the Holy Inadequate and several ordinary pubs, so just the Salty Dog and Golden Lion left to do.

................Dave