Is this nonsense or 'spin', from MC ?

Bojangles

Featured Posts

Hi

I messaged MC asking if a Sterling 1500 pure sine wave inverter would run a Candy 1000 washing machine. I understood MC used to sell these items as a package, although Candy say their machine needs a 3kw inverter. I was interested if MC had any user complaints etc.

This is their email reply:-

Your 1500w pure sine inverter will be able to run the candy washing machine as its a 1000 spin

Lee Churm

Branch Manager,Midland Chandlers Ltd, Penkridge. 01785 712437

I don't understand the link between the spin and the inverter size needed?

Please will somebody help me and either catagorically deny or confirm that a 1500w Sterling will run the 1000 Candy. . I have read thru many pages on the forum regarding this subject, but I still seem unclear B)

Your replies appreciated

Perhaps they just meant that the spin speed will not exceed the 1500w output of the inverter and they weren't directly relating rpm with watts - mind you I'd have thought it was the heating of the water that required maximum watts, not the spin - or does the candy have a hot water inlet?

Perhaps they just meant that the spin speed will not exceed the 1500w output of the inverter and they weren't directly relating rpm with watts - mind you I'd have thought it was the heating of the water that required maximum watts, not the spin - or does the candy have a hot water inlet?

I understand it's a cold water fill only.

I thought the heater element would be the deciding inverter size factor, not the spin speed. I understand the heater to be 1300w, but what it all needs on start up I don't know. I'd luv to hear from somebody who's got this set up working

Hi

I messaged MC asking if a Sterling 1500 pure sine wave inverter would run a Candy 1000 washing machine. I understood MC used to sell these items as a package, although Candy say their machine needs a 3kw inverter. I was interested if MC had any user complaints etc.

Your 1500w pure sine inverter will be able to run the candy washing machine as its a 1000 spin

Lee Churm

Please will somebody help me and either catagorically deny or confirm that a 1500w Sterling will run the 1000 Candy. . I have read thru many pages on the forum regarding this subject, but I still seem unclear B)

Your replies appreciated

Basically the greater the load on the motor the higher the currant it draws, but I am not sure about the modern chopped up waveform speed control thingies, but I expect its the same. So the faster you drive the motor the more power you need.

However the motor is likely to draw far more power when starting, so I also do not fully understand.

Could he mean that the 1000 rpm spin Candy machine will work but the 1200 rpm, or whatever, model will not?

Tony Brooks

Hi

Lee Churm

Your replies appreciated

Well, you can always try it, and if it doesn't work get your money back.

You have asked whether it will run from your 1500w inverter, and they have represented to you that it will.

If it doesn't, then the SOGA is on your side.

I've a Candy 1000T washing machine powered by a Victron 1600Watt inverter. On the heating cycle the inverter overload light often blinks, which means it's right on the limit. It doesn't cut out mind you and will run the quite intensive cycles as well as the economy cycle. In view of this I think your 1500Watt unit is going to be borderline.

Seems to me very odd indeed. The only guess I have is that have somehow managed to calculate, measure (or guess) the current at spin and are declaring it in this reply.

There are some simple 'plugs' that show current consumption - cost about £14 as I recall - in fact try this :-

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical,+Lig...equestid=449461

They accept C Card payment from non account holders, can order on line and are generally nice people to do business with.

Should put an end to many an argument me thinks.

The candy aquamatic 10T (compact) has a hot fill option so there's no need to heat its own water - take it from the calorifier. 1000rpm spin does work on a 1500w quasi. I have given up washing because its too heavy on the planet and clothes are so cheap anyway B)

Could he mean that the 1000 rpm spin Candy machine will work but the 1200 rpm, or whatever, model will not?

Yeah thats what i would have thought, the wording does read that way.

Ie

- Your 1500w pure sine inverter will be able to run the candy washing machine as its a 1000 spin [model].

Not

- Your 1500w pure sine inverter will be able to run the candy washing machine at its a 1000 spin [speed].

Daniel

The candy 1000 machine must have a smaller motor than the 1200 model, hence the startup current will be less, therefore the inverter can handle it. The heater at 1300watts is a purely resistive load and will be easily handled by the inverter. Might be a problem if the heater is on and the spin cycle starts, but that should never happen. When the heater is on , the motor just chugs round at low power, just to agitate the load.

There are some simple 'plugs' that show current consumption - cost about £14 as I recall - in fact try this :-

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical,+Lig...equestid=449461

Yeah, ive got one of them, coat about the same on maplin.

- Tells you current in watts and voltamps, as well as voltage/powerfactor/frequency/consumtion/etc.

Daniel

Hi

Lee Churm

Your replies appreciated

To be fair he is right. I spoke with Charlie at sterling about this the other month and he was a little uncertain now as candy changed the mechanism in the

programmer and the 1500w pure sine's frequency couldn't read it quite right (but still works), apparently neither can mastervolt, victron inverters run on a different frequency.

The bottom line is, it will run on a 1500w pure sine, but how well ? to be safe, use a 3000 pure sine or a tad smaller victron...Maybe next time you should

you should be more concise with you question before naming and shaming someone.

Please will somebody ... catagorically deny or confirm that a 1500w Sterling will run the 1000 Candy. .

According to the specs. its 70cm x 51cm x 44cm and draws 0.7KW @ 60C with up to 3.5 Kg using 42 litres of water and is front loading!

Can't agree, the question was simple and concise, it's the answer that was obtuse.

And so was the answer, granted he could have said it was on the limit.

Simple question, simple answer, i don't believe the answer was obtuse, you're saying he has a lack of intelligence, i can't see anything on his reply to say so ?

I have dealt with Lee at midland chanlders often and find him knowledgeable and helpful...but thats just my opinion

The answer was lacking in intelligence, it was not reasonable intelligeable, rather like...... "This engine runs on diesel, because it's 30 hp." The first part of the answer, "Your 1500w pure sine inverter will be able to run the candy washing machine" is concise and clear, the second part "as its a 1000 spin" is a sudden wrench at the thought processes that calls the simple clarity of the first part into question. It suggests that the answerer doesn't understand the nature of the query, or more likely that they are not very good communicators.

According to the specs. its 70cm x 51cm x 44cm and draws 0.7KW @ 60C with up to 3.5 Kg using 42 litres of water and is front loading!

Sorry Robin not quite correct the spec actually says Energy consumption 0.66 Kwh @ 60C

The 'rated load' is actually 1250 watts

Reference here Candy specification for AQ1000

So in theory a 1500watt invertor should be able to cope.