Where do you find residential moorings? (not a marina)

Featured Posts

Something I've been thinking about for a while.. I've just had a look on the CRT moorings website and incredibly for the entire length of the country (according to their database), they have two residential moorings available, and they're both in London.

https://www.watersidemooring.com/Search?Location=Leeds%2C+UK&DistanceMiles=0&Coordinates=53.8008%2C-1.5491&tab=&Availability=availablenow&BerthUse=Residential

Surely this isn't true? Or maybe it is. I'm not really looking for a marina mooring but surely there are other ways of getting a permanent towpath mooring, ideally with a bit of land for a shed. Any thoughts/pointers in the right direction? I'm not that interested in living in a marina to be honest, certainly not one of the BWML marinas. Maybe one of the smaller, more community moorings I could deal with.

So what are my other options?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Move onto the Rivers.

Buy a bit of Riverside land (quite a few 'lots' for sale with Sheds, Summer houses etc) and then (generally) you own up to the centre of the River and can put down your own moorings.

Alternatively look for a "Farmers Field" that will allow you to 'develop' a bit of land. As a liveaboard its highly unlikely 

1) They will have / get planning permission for residential use.

2) Have access to sewage disposal.

3) Have water / electricity supply

Alternatively (if you don't need to be in a fixed location) don't have a mooring and just become Itinerant and CC.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Move onto the Rivers.

Buy a bit of Riverside land (quite a few 'lots' for sale with Sheds, Summer houses etc) and then (generally) you own up to the centre of the River and can put down your own moorings.

Alternatively look for a "Farmers Field" that will allow you to 'develop' a bit of land. As a liveaboard its highly unlikely 

1) They will have / get planning permission for residential use.

2) Have access to sewage disposal.

3) Have water / electricity supply

There's a few ideas, and something to think about!

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Alternatively (if you don't need to be in a fixed location) don't have a mooring and become Itinerant and CC.

This is what I'm currently doing but it might be nice to stay put for a while, 6 - 12 months or perhaps longer. 4 years CCing, which I'm sure is nothing compared to many others, I think a bit of time staying put would be a nice break.

1 hour ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Selby has online residential moorings available :

http://www.selbyboatcentre.co.uk/moorings.php

Annual Residential

£3450.00 Narrowbeam up to 60Ft moored two abreast. - Includes Utility charge and Mailbox (Paid in full)

£3780.00 Narrowbeam up to 60Ft moored two abreast. - Includes Utility charge and Mailbox (Standing Order over 12 Months)

£5000.00 Wide or Singularly Moored Vessels. - Includes Utility charge and Mailbox (Paid in Full)

£5700.000 Wide or Singularly Moored Vessels. - Includes Utility charge and Mailbox (Standing Order over 12 Months)

1 hour ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I'm really looking at somewhere in Yorkshire, ideally.

The CaRT sites I'm aware of in Yorkshire with some full on residential status moorings are:

Falls Ing, Wakefield.

Horbury, between Wakefield and Dewsbury.

Tinsley, Sheffield

Clarence Dock, Leeds

Shireoaks, Worksop, just over the border, in either Notts, or Derbyshire. I'm not sure which!

Falls Ing, Horbury Basin and Tinsley are small moorings with up to a couple of dozen boats. Shireoaks is larger, but still a comfortable size. Clarence Dock is in the middle of Leeds and a bit goldfish bowl like.

They are usually full, but moorings do come up every so often as boaters move on, or leave for the bankside, or the great canal in the sky. Leisure moorings are more common and many people live under the radar on  them.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

If you want to buy rather than rent then try estate agents to the area that you want. With a bit of determined rummaging about I've found interesting bits of canal side ground for sale, it's often strange little pockets not well advertised because from a non-canal point of view they are peculiar, perhaps strange shapes or unusual road access but from a canal point of view much more workable assuming you can get permission to have a mooring from CRT. 

ETA - but they are not often advertised as canal side so you have to be a bit crafty about reading the EA info and using instant street view (or what ever maps you use)

Edited by Tumshie