Bitumen versus Tar Varnish

jenevers

Featured Posts

Both are primitive and outmoded crap. If you have to use either because you cant afford to get the old stuff off and go back to metal to apply a proper paint system, then just slap a couple of coats on and don't worry about it. You'll be doing it again in 2 - 3 years.

37 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Both are primitive and outmoded crap. If you have to use either because you cant afford to get the old stuff off and go back to metal to apply a proper paint system, then just slap a couple of coats on and don't worry about it. You'll be doing it again in 2 - 3 years.

That not like you, you are normally much more forthright.

Don't beat about the bush - say what you mean !!

The difference between bitumen based coatings and tar based coatings is that the production and sale of bitumen based coatings has not (yet) been effectively

banned on environmental grounds.

Tar products were included in REACH  Annex XIV from 2017 and banned from 2019 unless their  use can be justified on socio economic grounds. Bye-bye tar varnish, epoxy pitch and other useful stuff cos the application costs are not worth the potential return.

N

On 20/06/2019 at 21:16, jenevers said:

What are the pros and cons of each?

I always use bitumen. I have paid huge amounts out on previous boats to be grit blasted and eopoxied. This hull iis now 11 years old and has had bitumen use since day one. I have done it twice in my ownership, last time was a year ago it cost me the grand sum of 540 pounds all in for 68 feet. I will have it done again next year. The hull is virtualy as new so it does an admirable job. So less than 300 squids per year and anything else can be looked at and checked every two years whilst its out. I havnt used tar products on any of my boats so cannot advise. This also means apart from doing a good job I havnt paid lots out on a boat I may decide to sell.

• Greenie 1

DQ was zingered and epoxied from new. Still on its original coat of International 954. Now 12 years old.

In my ownership, docked in 2014 and 2017 and still found to be in for Nick.

Booked in for reblacking with epoxy in July, as some blacking on the curved parts of the bow (above the watwrline) is beginning to come off. Still fine along the waterline.

Hopefully that will see me OK for the next 12 years.

Edited by cuthound
Zingered, not angered. Bluddy spillchucker ?
  • Greenie 1

On 22/06/2019 at 16:34, cuthound said:

DQ was zingered and epoxied from new. Still on its original coat of International 954. Now 12 years old.

In my ownership, docked in 2014 and 2017 and still found to be in for Nick.

Booked in for reblacking with epoxy in July, as some blacking on the curved parts of the bow (above the watwrline) is beginning to come off. Still fine along the waterline.

Hopefully that will see me OK for the next 12 years.

Mine is doing ok as well where I damage it, it rusts but only in that section and I have to hit it hard to do damage, quick abrade and more zinger problem sorted, below the waterline is in good nick again the work of minutes to clean it up last time then sprayed 3 coats of keelblack on it in the afternoon and thats it for another 4 years this time