Victory narrowboats

H boy

Featured Posts

Hi just to make people aware it appears a bogus website has been set up using my company name www.victory-narrowboats.co.uk they are advertising very cheap used boats and trying to scam money out of people please be aware. I have informed the police. Thanks 

• Greenie 1

Welcome back, H - I see that it has been three years since your last post.

I have had a look on the internet and as far as I can see, Victory Narrowboats is a pukka company based in Nottingham. Its directors are Howard Day and Andrew Heslop. Is either of those you?

So, where is this "scam"?

There's also a very basic web site for a Victory Narrowboats in Newark, with a couple of photos of a grey-painted boat called 'Ever After'. Would that be a different company?

Edited by Athy

Hi yes I am Howard day one of the company directors we haven't got a website just a basic page on Google the one you found with ever after on the and the basic shell pic just to put my phone number and address on really. Trust me if you get on the other website the one I put on here it says the are a brokerage and they are not they have taken pics of other websites and there isn't any boats for sale that's why there so cheap just to get money out of you. My phone has not stopped just recenty and obviously it's causing me quite alot of problems I've spoke to alot of boat selling websites and they are removing there adverts. Thanks Howard 

No, thank YOU for that information. 

Have any of our members viewed (or tried to view) any of these brokerage boats? I have had a look at the web site which Howard mentions, and the boats do appear to be cheaply priced.

Edited by Athy

It certainly is an impressive looking website - the only things 'giving it away' is the occasional poor standard of English and the prices.

For someone new to NB's it would certainly be tempting to pay-up-front as you do have your 'money back guarantee'.

We transport the boat on a lorry also provided with a trailer to lower the boat to your address.

We ship the boat exactly in your chosen location.

If the engine does not work in the parameters, we reconfigure it.

21 minutes ago, H boy said:

Hi yes I am Howard day one of the company directors we haven't got a website just a basic page on Google the one you found with ever after on the and the basic shell pic just to put my phone number and address on really. Trust me if you get on the other website the one I put on here it says the are a brokerage and they are not they have taken pics of other websites and there isn't any boats for sale that's why there so cheap just to get money out of you. My phone has not stopped just recenty and obviously it's causing me quite alot of problems I've spoke to alot of boat selling websites and they are removing there adverts. Thanks Howard 

Somebody has gone to great lengths to target you - I don't believe this is random.  The key is to identify who registered the domain on the 19/4/2019, I suspect you may know them.  Somebody that has some website skills but finds spelling a bit of a challenge.  Ring any bells?

The address given on the site is for Cobb Burgin Accountants, which is your accountant I believe.

None of the "Buy" buttons are live so there is no link to an Ebay or PayPal account, so it is unlikely that anyone can fall for the scam.  If that had been included it would have identified the "creator", so they are being careful to cover their tracks.

These people may be able to help https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/fraudulent-websites-shut-down

48 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

They certainly helped me when I had a similar thing happen. I had no idea about the fraudulent site until I started receiving phone calls from punters asking where their good were. It’s not instantaneous but it works eventually. It will help that the site is hosted in the US, so the hosting company will be interested in assisting the authorities. 

Specifically, report the site here: https://reporting.actionfraud.police.uk/login

53 minutes ago, H boy said:

People I have spoke to are saying once you've contacted them they won't leave you alone...

I found that if you use an abusive name when opening a chat window they end the chat very quickly... ;)

Just now, H boy said:

Ye I have spoke to action fraud they told me I would struggle getting the website removed which I thought was odd 

That’s very odd. Did you explain to them that the site’s only purpose was to scam folk out of their money?

19 minutes ago, H boy said:

Yes I told them it was a scam just trying to get money out of people 

I’ve opened a ticket with the legal department of the hosting company, ticket number #BJE-510-89105. I’ll keep this thread updated with any news. 

• Greenie 2

Whilst we should not pre-judge without seeing both sides of the story, evidence seems to be amassing which suggests that this may not be a wholly legitimate company.

This, however, baffles me. In post no.7 it was mentioned that the "Buy Now" buttons don't do anything. I have tried one myself, and it is indeed the case - pressing it just takes you to the eBay web site. So, if no one can pay them any money, how can they profit from their activities?

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Whilst we should not pre-judge without seeing both sides of the story, evidence seems to be amassing which suggests that this may not be a wholly legitimate company.

This, however, baffles me. In post no.7 it was mentioned that the "Buy Now" buttons don't do anything. I have tried one myself, and it is indeed the case - pressing it just takes you to the eBay web site. So, if no one can pay them any money, how can they profit from their activities?

You use the other button which opens a chat window. Then they sweet talk you into doing a bank transfer of your hard won savings. 

If you open a chat chat window and use the name YouScamming#%*$# then they close the chat window quite quickly. 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

If you want to report as a scam to ebay, do it on chat and they will need that ebay web site name/address to find it. There are no items as far as I can see actually listed on ebay UK.

As far as I can see they don’t have an eBay presence. That could be because they’ve never had one or it could be that Ebay have already deleted their account. I’m unaware of any way of finding out if that’s the case. 

The thing to remember is that these scumbags don't intend to have it up for long. They're looking to catch one person, a return of up to £10k for knocking up a website with lifted content is one helluva return. Once this site has netted them one money transfer I imagine it will disappear to be rinsed and repeated at another domain.

I note that the chat functionality has now disappeared from the site and the ‘buy now’ buttons simply take you back to the site. So the only way to contact them now is through the email address they supply at the top of the page. 

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I had a word with ebay, they will look into it but as they have not listed there is little they can do quickly.

They said much the same to me. 

But their legal department is concerned about the claims made on the website.