Listing?

blackrose

Featured Posts

Is it possible to be sitting on the bottom due to low water levels but still be able to move the boat by pushing it. My boat weighs 30t so I've never experienced this before. Usually as soon as it touches the bottom that's it, you can't move it, yet it's free at both ends and I'm sure it's listing slightly to starboard. There's no evidence of any water in the bilges. I've checked in 2 different places on that side of the boat and also at the back of the cabin. The engine hole is bone dry.

The Nene is very low at the moment, well on this stretch anyway. Just wondering if a silty bottom could cause the boat to list but still be free?

Edited by blackrose

30 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Is it possible to be sitting on the bottom due to low water levels but still be able to move the boat by pushing it. My boat weighs 30t so I've never experienced this before. Usually as soon as it touches the bottom that's it, you can't move it, yet it's free at both ends and I'm sure it's listing slightly to starboard. There's no evidence of any water in the bilges. I've checked in 2 different places on that side of the boat and also at the back of the cabin. The engine hole is bone dry.

The Nene is very low at the moment, well on this stretch anyway. Just wondering if a silty bottom could cause the boat to list but still be free?

If you are moored port side to the bank, probably.  You could have the port wear strip only just touching terra firma and the rest of the boat free floating.

Either that or you have put on weight and are sat to starboard :D

It's possible that while listing during the night or some such inactive time, the contents of your tanks have sloshed to that side.

Once you're underway and spent some time with unrestricted buoyancy it'll clear itself up.

Take two aspirins and call me in a couple of days if there's no improvement.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Is it possible to be sitting on the bottom due to low water levels but still be able to move the boat by pushing it.

I'd say, yes. 

You could have moored over a solid high point (say a tree root or lump of concrete pushed in years ago) approx half way along the boat and near the bank, and now the water level has dropped it is holding one side of the boat up be a couple of inches making it list.

This would result in you being able to push say the back out ok, but the boat would pivot on the support point (fulcrum) and the bow would move in. Or vice versa. Is this what is happening?

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say, yes. 

You could have moored over a solid high point (say a tree root or lump of concrete pushed in years ago) approx half way along the boat and near the bank, and now the water level has dropped it is holding one side of the boat up be a couple of inches making it list.

This would result in you being able to push say the back out ok, but the boat would pivot on the support point (fulcrum) and the bow would move in. Or vice versa. Is this what is happening?

It sounds like that but perhaps it's just the port side baseplate wear strip that's touching down on the bottom as Biscuits said. I suppose there must be a high point even if it's just a slight one next to the middle of the boat. I've only been here 3 years but not known it this low.

9 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It sounds like that but perhaps it's just the port side baseplate wear strip that's touching down on the bottom as Biscuits said. I suppose there must be a high point even if it's just a slight one next to the middle of the boat. I've only been here 3 years but not known it this low.

Point being, does the boat pivot around an invisible underwater point when you say it still moves when you push it? Or does all of the whole boat move in the same direction?

If the latter I suggest you look in your bilges as a matter of urgency.

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If the latter I suggest you look in your bilges as a matter of urgency.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

There's no evidence of any water in the bilges. I've checked in 2 different places on that side of the boat and also at the back of the cabin. The engine hole is bone dry.

Keep up boilyman!

22 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, having lived on boats for nearly 17 years now, I felt I had adequate experience and made the decision not to check the bilges for water on the high side of the boat.

Yet you still needed to ask your OP which struck me as equally simplistic, yet I took it seriously.

I see now it was an April Fool thread and I fell for it!!!

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say, yes. 

I had this once years ago.  Moored at Buckby to look at their water cans. Level dropped  presumably due to lock usage and got stuck on a submerged rock.

Took me a while to while to work out whyni could push either end out but couldnt power away from the bank.

Resolved by getting a passing boater to tow me off backwards.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yet you still needed to ask your OP which struck me as equally simplistic, yet I took it seriously.

I see now it was an April Fool thread and I fell for it!!!

It may have been simplistic but at least it didn't contravene the laws of physics - as would water flowing uphill! 

As I explained in the OP, my boat has come down on the bottom many times but whenever that's happened I've never been able to move it before, so it's not really that simplistic.

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Which would also answer the question that I didn't ask, how did he get his boat on to the Nene

20160627_114731.jpg

20160627_133417.jpg

20160627_132015.jpg

20160627_134644.jpg

Edited by blackrose

49 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I had this once years ago.  Moored at Buckby to look at their water cans. Level dropped  presumably due to lock usage and got stuck on a submerged rock.

Took me a while to while to work out whyni could push either end out but couldnt power away from the bank.

Resolved by getting a passing boater to tow me off backwards.

Ok, so when it happened to you it didn't seem that simplistic to you either. Glad I'm not the only simple one! 

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say, yes. 

The strangest occurrence of this i've had involved a tyre underneath the boat, it took longer than it should to work out what was going on.

18 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It may have been simplistic but at least it didn't contravene the laws of physics - as would water flowing uphill! 

As I explained in the OP, my boat has come down on the bottom many times but whenever that's happened I've never been able to move it before, so it's not really that simplistic.

20160627_114731.jpg

20160627_133417.jpg

20160627_132015.jpg

20160627_134644.jpg

In the photos above, were you practicing for when we can no longer use red diesel?

Edited by cuthound
Grandma

16 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, as we were passing Northampton services on the M1 I thought I'd fill up with white diesel.  

Diesel for blackrose? That must get bloody expensive after a while.No wonder you stick it on a lorry:)

Screenshot 2019-04-02 at 15.00.51.png

Edited by rusty69