Pubs to avoid ? (Apart from Woodenspoons) Are there any?

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

I’ve never classed the Swan at Fradley as one to avoid, even after the takeover, but noticed this weekend that the menu “Specials board” above the fire in the bar has been replaced by a flat screen tv. Thankfully it was off but it could be a sign of things to come. 

Ohhhh nooooo. Just about my fave pub. Why oh why ruin a good pub with a poxty tv, sure way to kill it stone dead. A few sensible drinkers watching the six nations very occasionaly doesnt ever warrant a tv. I went into a fab country pub in a massive tourist place that I used to run 25 years ago and found they had put a telly in it. It wasnt switched on but that pub is never ever going to be a tv pub, it just shows the management cannot diferentiate pub types and just banged a tv in for good ( or bad ) measure.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ohhhh nooooo. Just about my fave pub. Why oh why ruin a good pub with a poxty tv, sure way to kill it stone dead. A few sensible drinkers watching the six nations very occasionaly doesnt ever warrant a tv. I went into a fab country pub in a massive tourist place that I used to run 25 years ago and found they had put a telly in it. It wasnt switched on but that pub is never ever going to be a tv pub, it just shows the management cannot diferentiate pub types and just banged a tv in for good ( or bad ) measure.

Quite so. One of my favourite pubs, the Old Oak Inn in Horsley Woodhouse (not on the canal) was an attractive but financially failing place when we first knew it about 2001. It came close to being knocked down for "redevelopment". Then it was taken over by the family who own Leadmill Brewery. Out went the telly, the fruity and the piped music. In came several handpumps, two log fires, shelves of books.....you get the picture. Within a year or so it was  a very thriving pub, and as far as I know it still is. Oh, and that was despite the food range extending only as far as a packet of crisps or nuts and a ham or cheese roll.

The village had another pub and a W.M.C. for people who wanted lager and a big telly, so every local taste was catered for.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The new management appear to be aiming for the caravan site people rather than boaters. We had last Christmas Eve there which was very pleasant, unfortunately New Year’s Eve was not. A karaoke was going in the room on the left which seemed to be run for kids, it was fantastic as you can imagine. Quite a few of the old regulars were braving it in the bar but it was noisy. We bailed out well before midnight and left the sweet little darlings singing away..

• Sad 1

Regarding fresh glasses and beer with a head. In '63 when I was 16 and still living in Sheffield I started drinking bitter, two pints was enough to get me swaying and staggering. At that time I used to occasionally visit my brother who had moved to Poole, Dorset. What a contrast, the beer was flat and I could manage 5 pints to get to the same state I was with 2 in Sheffield (I felt quite manly!) Also the same glasses were refilled, that never happened in Sheffield, always a fresh glass.

It was many years later on a brewery visit I found the local brew (Hall & Woodhouse nicknamed Hall & Shithouse at the time ?) drank on the premises was just as good as northern stuff, clear, sparkling and with a good head, turned out it just wasn't looked after properly by the landlords.

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Dmr said:

The Railway in Hebden Bridge....The urinals are made from cut in half aluminum keg, I imagine I am weeing straight into the lager supply!

From the Stroud Brewery Tap

Urinal.JPG

One careless move and you could be cut off in your prime ?

8 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

turned out it just wasn't looked after properly by the landlords.

Many years ago I was in the Lime Kilns on the Ashby when a punter complained that his pint of Pedigree was cloudy. The newish landlord (now long gone) replied “There’s nothing wrong with that, it was only delivered today”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Many years ago I was in the Lime Kilns on the Ashby when a punter complained that his pint of Pedigree was cloudy. The newish landlord (now long gone) replied “There’s nothing wrong with that, it was only delivered today”

Nice. I enjoy a good pint of Pedigree. But if you get a less than perfect pint it's awful. Same with Spoty Chicken.