Jump to content


NB Alnwick

Member Since 28 Oct 2006
Offline Last Active 25 Jun 2015 04:13 PM

Topics I've Started

The Passport Office - "You said, We did"

13 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

It is not often that we are able to praise a Government Office but after much public criticism, The Passport Office appears to have improved its act. Jane and I applied for our new passports on 6 February 2015 - we had been led to believe that the process could take upwards of three weeks but they were delivered to us by courier this morning - just seven days including the day that we posted the forms and today when the new passports were delivered!


The Passport Office has certainly responded to its critics in its "You said, We did" campaign.


I am also quite impressed with the quality of the new passports - the previously blank pages now include images of the British landscape - including, on pages 16 and 17 a canal scene with a typical arched bridge, a moored narrow boat and a lock.

A welcome return!

22 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

After a brief trip in early August, I removed some of our K3's coolant distribution pipework because there were annoying pin-hole leaks in some of the soldered joints. The repair work was expertly undertaken by Richard of Primrose Engineering (RLWP in Canalworld) and after collecting all the bits and making new gaskets I re-assembled the lot yesterday. For the first time I used 'Heldite' gasket jointing compound and I am extremely pleased with the result. My previous choice 'Hermatite Red' has been discontinued but 'Heldite' is highly recommended by the steam and stationary engine fraternity.


Just one flanged joint failed to seal initially and I found that this was because the 3/8 BSF bronze/gunmetal bolts had obviously been stretched when tightened on a previous occasion so, although they 'tightened' on the stretched portion of the thread, there was insufficient compression on the joint to make it tight - in the short term this was solved by using a thicker gasket but, in the course of time, I will probably have new bolts made to replace the stretched originals.


The engine is now back in running order and running very nicely - which means that it will no longer be necessary to bow-haul 'Alnwick' to Cropredy Wharf for fresh water! And, after a gap of almost three months, it is really nice to hear that familiar Kelvin sound again . . .

Some interesting lighting products

19 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

Jane and I have just returned from a holiday in Greece that did include some boating and a visit to a harbourside chandlery. We were fascinated by what the proprietor described as lighting for boats and gardens. Having returned home we have looked up the manufacturers website which is available in English. If you are seeking some nice industrial solid brass lighting to illuminate your engine room, the link below is worth investigating:



Jobs in Warwickshire - helping to keep the planet green.

12 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

I have just been sent details of this:


Doorstep Advisors: Warwickshire

  • Closing date: 26th August 2014
  • Contract duration: 1st September 2014 to 31st October 2014 with possible extension

Details are currently posted here:



Sometimes it is nice to be able to praise good work . . .

12 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

Our boat was at Braunston in July for blacking by Justin Green/Wharf House Narrowboats and, at the same time we asked Justin if he could take a look at our three way, room sealed Electrolux (Dometic) fridge that had been out of commission since September 2013.


Without going in to too much detail, we were entirely satisfied with the work carried out and more than pleased with the reasonable fees charged for that work. Everyone involved made us feel very welcome and it was a pleasure to be able to remain living aboard while the work was carried out.