Wooden boat remains

Pluto

Featured Posts

What are they like now? Both pictures were taken around 1985. The first is of the remains of clinker built keels on the Ouse, opposite Goole. There are very few remains of clinker keels, which ceased being built around 1900. The heads of the iron clenching spikes tended to get worn down in locks, etc.

gallery_6938_2_119944.jpg

The next are L&LC boats sunk for bank protection on the Asland, the tidal Douglas. For those who remember him, it is Nigel Carter, owner of NB George, on the right.

gallery_6938_2_60561.jpg

Joey, complete lying in the Cape arm BCN:

gallery_5000_522_685.jpg 2008

Last two joeys at Wulruna Coal Co 1985, they are still there today:

gallery_5000_522_252880.jpg

"Monnow" raised but now at risk?

gallery_5000_522_88201.jpg

"Neptune" 1982, whereabouts and fate unknown, last sighted 1993:

gallery_5000_522_191077.jpg

gallery_5000_522_54134.jpg

Sutton Weaver, so much history in one place:

:gallery_5000_522_150358.jpg

Harefield, the treasure trove, will it ever be investigated and boats salvaged?

gallery_5000_522_24009.jpg

gallery_5000_522_62593.jpg

Just use a drone. Sometimes the 'ghosts' of these vessels are more attractive than the cost of raising and maintaining. Who's going to own it; dock it; keep it; maintain it? Record and catalogue by any means possible.

I'd love to have an underwater drone to do the subsurface bit :wub:

I agree with you by the way - nobody has the financial 'appetite' to drag them out and restore them. What I would like to see would be the boats dragged out and left at the side on the canal bank to rot down and have plants growing through them. So that everyone can see them because they are beautiful even as hulks.

Don't know who would host such a sculpture but its something I would like to see done with all rotten historic boats if nobody can restore them.

• Greenie 1

I'd love to have an underwater drone to do the subsurface bit wub.png

I agree with you by the way - nobody has the financial 'appetite' to drag them out and restore them. What I would like to see would be the boats dragged out and left at the side on the canal bank to rot down and have plants growing through them. So that everyone can see them because they are beautiful even as hulks.

Don't know who would host such a sculpture but its something I would like to see done with all rotten historic boats if nobody can restore them.

trouble is that as soon as they have been on dry land for any appreciable period of time they will decay faster than if they were left sitting in mud / water meaning that by your action of putting them on display you are virtually removing any possibility of them ever being restored.

as they are now they have sat for around 50 years and it's entirely possible that they could sit for another 50 years before someone drags them out and rebuilds from what is left

We're moored at Harefield marina. Tried to fnd the flash in the summer but undergrowth was too dense so going bsck soon when its thinned out.

Hawtreys pit is where they are, directly behind Harefield marina. Owned by the council and used by Harrow angling club. sounds like you looked in the wrong place.

There is a huge detailed thread on here about where to find the remains.

gallery_5000_522_67049.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Theres a couple of boats (narrow?) upstream of coalport bridge on the Severn, only visible when levels are very low, a third boat just a bit further upstream but barely identifiable as a boat.

These intrigue me as they must be of great age.

I want marsworth out of the flashes its a butty and would want to keep it that way. The prob is i would have no clue as to how to get it out or find out exactly which one it is. All that puts me off doing this is the cost from crt to keep her once i had done it.

Edited by billybobbooth

I want marsworth out of the flashes its a butty and would want to keep it that way. The prob is i would have no clue as to how to get it out or find out exactly which one it is. All that puts me off doing this is the cost from crt to keep her once i had done it.

Which "flash" is Marsworth in??

Hawtreys pit is where they are, directly behind Harefield marina. Owned by the council and used by Harrow angling club. sounds like you looked in the wrong place.

There is a huge detailed thread on here about where to find the remains.

gallery_5000_522_67049.jpg

Thsts excatly where we went. Was too overgrown, clearing now though.

trouble is that as soon as they have been on dry land for any appreciable period of time they will decay faster than if they were left sitting in mud / water meaning that by your action of putting them on display you are virtually removing any possibility of them ever being restored.

as they are now they have sat for around 50 years and it's entirely possible that they could sit for another 50 years before someone drags them out and rebuilds from what is left

Good point but I somehow don't think anyone will ever be able to do anything with the boats anyway. I'd rather see them out of the mud than think of the mud as being a conservation for them (which I don't really think it is anyway. I know some items left in mud for long periods of time are well preserved but I am not convinced that used narrow boats are.

I do see what you mean though :)

I believe that something in the order of 200 Duker flats were in existence on the Bridgewater and Ship Canal after the second world war.(not all in commision). When the new steel boats arrived,that was the end of the wooden boats.I remember Alf Hayman telling me that with some cargoes,the old flats needed caulking after one trip.(I think the cargo was copper ore) Once the wooden flats were laid up,that was the end of Sprinch Yard in Runcorn,where the boats were maintained. The yard had two dry docks for flats and one dock for little packets.Many years ago,while a digger was on site,I had the digger open up the arm to the second flat dock and the packet dock.(I got in to a bit of bother as I did not have planning permission) At that time the drop down gates to the docks were still on the bed of the canal. The digger driver lifted them up with the digger and they were still in quite good nick. Sprinch Yard is now the base for the Bridgewater Motor Boat Club .I believe that many of the flats were dumped in Big Pool behind Sprinch Yard. Also at least one wooden narrow boat. Big Pool has been progressively filled in. At least one flat was left in a pond between two of the new Runcorn Locks.Big Pool was also the site of a boatbuilder, Cant remember the name,but it was still on the gates many years after the yard closed .I think there may be some flats buried in the docks next to Bridgewater House.

Lawrence the over head view of hawtreys pit with the boats in it is that the same lake that the wide beam is that is out on the bank ??

If it is then were is the island that's in the centre gone.

Darren

Yes the wide beam boat is (or the remains) are on the bank, it was vandalised a short while back. The island depends on the water level, but has three Josher horse boat lying of it, see pic above of FMC stern with pintle hole.

I believe that something in the order of 200 Duker flats were in existence on the Bridgewater and Ship Canal after the second world war.(not all in commision). When the new steel boats arrived,that was the end of the wooden boats.I remember Alf Hayman telling me that with some cargoes,the old flats needed caulking after one trip.(I think the cargo was copper ore) Once the wooden flats were laid up,that was the end of Sprinch Yard in Runcorn,where the boats were maintained. The yard had two dry docks for flats and one dock for little packets.Many years ago,while a digger was on site,I had the digger open up the arm to the second flat dock and the packet dock.(I got in to a bit of bother as I did not have planning permission) At that time the drop down gates to the docks were still on the bed of the canal. The digger driver lifted them up with the digger and they were still in quite good nick. Sprinch Yard is now the base for the Bridgewater Motor Boat Club .I believe that many of the flats were dumped in Big Pool behind Sprinch Yard. Also at least one wooden narrow boat. Big Pool has been progressively filled in. At least one flat was left in a pond between two of the new Runcorn Locks.Big Pool was also the site of a boatbuilder, Cant remember the name,but it was still on the gates many years after the yard closed .I think there may be some flats buried in the docks next to Bridgewater House.

A few photos of boat remains in the Sprinch, the colour two in 1976, the first by the old Simpson Davies yard, IIRC. The last is from the Waterways Archive collection.

gallery_6938_2_189264.jpg

On of the Statters or bastard boats built for use on the MB&BC.

gallery_6938_2_31396.jpg

gallery_6938_2_62538.jpg

Edited by Pluto

Do you mean the Woodbridge Bee?

Yes, The field side, left hand looking upstream, its a couple of years since I looked and having thought about it I think there is only one, there is a painting of a couple of narrowboats tied in the same spot, that's probably why I thought there was two ,I think the painting was in the gallery at the Museum of iron. The stem or stern iron was visible above very low summer levels and in clear water the remains of the boat were visible The other traces of a different boat were at the end of the field nearer the Boat inn.

Which "flash" is Marsworth in??

I cant remember of top of my head there was a thread about all the boats in some of them and im though one of the josher butties was marsworth.

Sorry wasnt marsworth was tring! My bad.

Edited by billybobbooth

Laurence sorry but I must be having a thick moment

These pictures are both labelled as being hawtreys pit but clearly they are taken at different places.

Darren

Laurence sorry but I must be having a thick moment

These pictures are both labelled as being hawtreys pit but clearly they are taken at different places.

Darren

post-8436-0-31773800-1476388301_thumb.png

post-8436-0-84527300-1476388335_thumb.png