Smartgauge enhancement ?

sjc

Featured Posts

Smartgauge enhancement ?

For the record I think it is fine for what it is, personally it would be great if you could also be told the total capacity, or at least that remaining. It has been compared to a car fuel gauge, they now give an indication of miles to go, perhaps the smartgauge could give an indication of "burn time" at current rate of use ? It already has the information it needs to calculate this, and it may not require a hardware change, just a software upgrade. Like the car fuel gauge it won't be 100% accurate, but will help the non technical ( the target market for the device ), also, it may get more accurate as it "learns" your use profile ?

That way if someone is running their 4Mw hair dryer and see they only have 30 secs of battery left, they may switch it off ! Alarm levels could also be set.

This isn't the thread to discuss this, so I will suggest a thread split.

From my knowledge of the manufacturer and the designer I believe there will be zero possibility of any enhancements to the 'standard' SmartGauge. All the enhancements that you ask for (and a lot more) are already available in its big brother - DataCell II. But probably not at a price you'd want to pay.

Tony

Just on the point of the "time to go" parameter, yes the SG already has the information necessary to calculate this, however I question its usefulness since that figure is only of any use if the current demand remains constant. In practice, with lights and tv being switched on and off, a fridge on a thermostat etc the load is not steady. I have a "time to go" on my Mastershunt - it's about the only parameter that I never look at.

Just on the point of the "time to go" parameter, yes the SG already has the information necessary to calculate this, however I question its usefulness since that figure is only of any use if the current demand remains constant. In practice, with lights and tv being switched on and off, a fridge on a thermostat etc the load is not steady. I have a "time to go" on my Mastershunt - it's about the only parameter that I never look at.

It's been turned off on my BMV - I can guess better myself!

"Time to go" is a sort of novelty feature and as Nick says its not really of much use when the load is constantly changing. Things like this are really "feature packing" or "bells and whistles" and are usually put in at the request of the marketing department. As we know the Smartgage was designed and sold by a company who were engineering based rather than marketing based so its no surprise that it is what it is.

.............Dave

When I was working, some UPS's came with "time remaining" meters. Given that unlike a boat a UPS would typically have a constant, rather than variable load, you would think they would be accurate. However my experience of them is that they are not.

When I was working, some UPS's came with "time remaining" meters. Given that unlike a boat a UPS would typically have a constant, rather than variable load, you would think they would be accurate. However my experience of them is that they are not.

Minor point of order: by constant load I think you mean constant power? Therefore the current demanded will gradually increase as the battery SoC reduces, due to reducing voltage.

Minor point of order: by constant load I think you mean constant power? Therefore the current demanded will gradually increase as the battery SoC reduces, due to reducing voltage.

Depends on the nature of the load, SMPS's will compensate for falling voltage by increasing current, resistive loads will drop current in line with falling voltages.

Depends on the nature of the load, SMPS's will compensate for falling voltage by increasing current, resistive loads will drop current in line with falling voltages.

Yes, I guess I just imagine a UPS as being something to power a bit of equipment via an inverter eg a computer, communications or medical equipment etc

Yes, I guess I just imagine a UPS as being something to power a bit of equipment via an inverter eg a computer, communications or medical equipment etc

Most of them do, but they can be used to power motors, lighting etc in critical processes.

Most of the "time remaining" telltales are ok until near the end of discharge, when they usually optimistically lie, just when you need 'em most!

It's been turned off on my BMV - I can guess better myself!

Oh yes I forgot you can do that am I right in thinking it just dissapears vrom the menu.

I've almost forgotten that it's there as I just use volts and amps most of the time and just occasionally use Ah when doing a power audit on new kit.

Adding useless features as a marketing tool is a common mistake.

Top Cat

Oh yes I forgot you can do that am I right in thinking it just dissapears vrom the menu.

I've almost forgotten that it's there as I just use volts and amps most of the time and just occasionally use Ah when doing a power audit on new kit.

Adding useless features as a marketing tool is a common mistake.

Top Cat

It's at the bottom end of the setup menu, IIRC. You can turn off any parameter. I just keep V, A and CE. The rest is useless info, based on your programmed battery capacity, CEF and Pk coefficient. Which are probably way out.