Ebay boat scam?????

bigste

Featured Posts

A couple of NB's on ebay today look to be non cosha. The price is a giveaway and the seller has zero feedback. On top of that there is very little description, if any. Have a look but stay well clear. On top of this I think I've seen them before at a realistic price with a good description.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-BUILT-NARROWBOAT-2X-DOUBLE-BEDROOMS-/151310290154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item233acbccea

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrowboat-semitrad-57-Narrowboat-/151310291716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item233acbd304

Yes, he's a scammer, he was advertising a boat yesterday for £17,000, the advert had been lifted straight from Apollo Duck where it is on sale for £54,000. I sent him a message asking if I could view the boat and whereabouts it was located and he pulled the listing shortly afterwards.

Sent him a message saying I can complete in 24 hours with cash. Will see what happens. I can see a call to the bizzies coming on.

Sounds like a cunning plan.

You've lit the blue touch paper, let's see if anything happens.

No question marks about it, this seller stinks of a scam.

Slightly off topic, by contrast I see that "People who viewed this item also viewed" this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-Nipper-Narrowboat-Cruiser-Stern-4-6-berths/400711471151?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22313%26meid%3D7148221303186578858%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D9701%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D151310291716&rt=nc

which looks like a very genuine seller, and according to my very limited knowledge a decent little boat. It's only 30' and at £8950 with two days to go hasn't reached its reserve yet, but at least if someone puts in a high enough bid on it I think they'll get to own the boat.

He will say that he needs some sort of electronic transfer and can't make it to get the cash. Most of these scammers aren't based in the UK.

Nigeria is the most common country of origin for these scams, as well as the 419 advance fee fraud scam ("I am the widow of the late Finance minister and want to give you $5,000,000 etc). You can have a lot of fun dicking these guys about, sending them half way across Nigeria because you "made a mistake" and sent the money to the wrong Western Union office etc when of course you haven't sent it, or making them pose for stupid phots "to prove they are who they say they are" although I wouldn't recommend doing it on ebay as you're traceable.

We had a very generous offer of £1000 yesterday for our Strumble (which has just had a bit of a repaint)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201088553486&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I will just say that that is a very nice boat, and one that I have looked at before (I didn't know that it belonged to a member on here). If I was ready to buy now, it is something I would be interested in viewing. Good luck with selling it.

Thanks - she is a bonny little thing but finance and logic don't allow her to be kept as a pet.

Mind, with the speed of the current market she will do nicely for daughters uni accommodation in 6 years!

Mind, with the speed of the current market she will do nicely for daughters uni accommodation in 6 years!

We thought both our daughters would fancy living on board boats when their university offers were from:

Lincoln, Coventry, Worcester, & Keele

Then:

Worcester, Aston, Oxford Brookes, Hull & Plymouth

But they also looked at: Leicester, Nottingham, Warwick, Loughborough

They really didn't like the idea, but I thought other students might think it cool/hot/sick/wicked *

* delete as applicable

Does anyone know of a student living aboard?

It was a bit tongue in cheek as I agree, certainly for their first year they need the catapult into unknown of being thrown together with new people.

The other idea I had was to take one down south for me to live on but I kid you not, hotels still work out cheaper.

We thought both our daughters would fancy living on board boats when their university offers were from:

Lincoln, Coventry, Worcester, & Keele

Then:

Worcester, Aston, Oxford Brookes, Hull & Plymouth

But they also looked at: Leicester, Nottingham, Warwick, Loughborough

They really didn't like the idea, but I thought other students might think it cool/hot/sick/wicked *

* delete as applicable

Does anyone know of a student living aboard?

I offered my boat (a Princess 32) to my lady's son because he has a place at Lincoln University. I thought he might think it a cool thing to do plus it would save him a great deal of money

He turned it down and I think the reason is he wants fast download speed in his room.

I found a suitable boat for sale at a boatyard in Egham, where my daughter is studying (at Royal Holloway). But the mooring fees for a 40ft boat would be substantially more than her share of the rent on a house. So it ain't going to happen.

Might be more affordable further north.

Is this another scam? Something not quite right here, but there is a bid on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gorgeous-Narrow-Boat-For-Sale-Project-Boat-50ft-/261492461879

Gorgeous 50 foot narrow boat from 1989. This was my parents boat and it is a 6 birth with toilet, shower, 4 separate beds and a folder. It is 6 foot 9 in height. 85 bhp four stroke engine.

It has a small leak and has subsequently sank (14 years ago). Otherwise the boat was is lovely condition. It does admittedly need a little TLC and a small patch putting over the 4 foot gaping hole. However will make a wonderful family home.

Good luck bidding.

Viewings welcome

Perhaps it hit an iceberg!

Gorgeous 50 foot narrow boat from 1989. This was my parents boat and it is a 6 birth with toilet, shower, 4 separate beds and a folder. It is 6 foot 9 in height. 85 bhp four stroke engine.

It has a small leak and has subsequently sank (14 years ago). Otherwise the boat was is lovely condition. It does admittedly need a little TLC and a small patch putting over the 4 foot gaping hole. However will make a wonderful family home.

Good luck bidding.

Viewings welcome

Perhaps it hit an iceberg!

Previous item from the same seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Adapter-/261404963833

Tim

"This was my parents boat and it is a 6 birth" ...

So 6 children were born aboard? Hope they all got out in time when it sank.

Actually, I wonder if this ad is genuine but the seller just uploaded the wrong photo by mistake?

It's not unreasonable to put a boat which needs a lot of work onto eBay with no reserve price, and the seller has built up a decent eBay reputation, mostly selling car parts it seems. But the double adaptor going for £25 is a bit puzzling.