Sterling desulphation kit

lexicon

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Has anyone used the sterling desulphation kit the midland chandlers sell?

The description says includes connection to battery.

Can anyone advise if these work and how they are best to use/install ?

Hi all.

I bought one about 6 weeks ago. Its the WAECO. I've checked the batteries and the cells are spotless. I suspect they do work, as I have noticed my voltage reading is now higher than it was at 90% in the mornings.

I looked at the sterlings, but at twice the price of the WAECO, I left them.

Where did u buy the waeco from? Do u get one per battery or one per bank?

I use the waeco on 3x110 amp batts. I just lengthened the wires. The waeco came from the internet. I need 2 more now to do the rest of the bank. It's much better quality than the sterling.

Hi all.

I suspect these devices are best when fitted to an otherwise healthy battery, to keep sulphation build-up down. Not so sure they are so good at trying to reclaim sick batteries.

Bought one an tried it and the above is the conclusion I've come to. They do need 12.8v to work.

I have a bank of 4 110amp batteries unsealed lead acid.

Do u think one would do all four?

Don't suppose you have a link to the seller or the name of the unit so I know what to search for?

Not the Sterling ones I've seen. The units are rated at coping with Ah size of the battery. For an average 110 ah battery you would need one unit per battery. Sterling do some larger units, but I've been unable to find them for sale or that can be stocked by Midland Chandlers.

Yh I think I will get two and rig them up when I get a chance.

Any reason my 235w solar system will cause issues using them?

I'm no expoit, but I don't see why the panels should harm the units. The panels have a control unit, yes?

I am pretty sure they impose a pulsing 2MHz ( i.e. RF ) voltage on the batteries, but many regard them as "snake oil" and put down the "recovery" to missed or alternative factors...

Nick

I think Gibbo had mixed feelings when he tested some.

Is it confirmed / accepted / believed that high current pulsing is what removes the sulphate coating, and does it dissolve it or how does it remove it ?

Nick

Theory is that in normal use the lead sulphate is in a non crystal state, but over time it forms into hard crystals and this is what we call sulphation.

Applying a high frequency pulse of electricity causes these crystals to resonate and so break up and re-dissolve into the acid.

In general whenever the words "crystal" and "resonance" appear in the same sentence the product or service offered should be treated with some caution.

............Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I experimented at length on a test bench with some sulphated batteries (caused by inadequate charging), alternately running charge/desulphation and discharge tests. My conclusion with the unit I had was that it was smoke and mirrors. The batteries subsequently responded better to being sat on a correctly rated/configured fours stage charger for a few MONTHS running a 15.5v equalisation cycle periodically than any desulphation trickery, and yes they do use high frequency narrow current pulses to attempt the magic.