CaRT Pump Out Machines

dmr

Featured Posts

Did a pump out today (K&A Devizes) and the machine had a notice saying it only accepts cards from BW, not from any other retailer.

Have seen this on a few machines lately, does anyone know what its about?

It seems very hard on the boater friendly shops that re-sell pump out cards as a service to boaters (probably at zero profit?)

Yes, I realise this is an opportunity for the saddos who like to crap into a plastic briefcase to make unhelpful comments.... Resist!!!!!!!

...........Dave

Did a pump out today (K&A Devizes) and the machine had a notice saying it only accepts cards from BW, not from any other retailer.

Have seen this on a few machines lately, does anyone know what its about?

It seems very hard on the boater friendly shops that re-sell pump out cards as a service to boaters (probably at zero profit?)

Yes, I realise this is an opportunity for the saddos who like to crap into a plastic briefcase to make unhelpful comments.... Resist!!!!!!!

...........Dave

I can assure you that pump out cards retailed from BW are NOt transferable. I bought cards from Stonebridge, Henhouse, Little Venice (Widebeam office? (not!! ha),Market Harborough, Kilby Bridge, and not ONE works any where else than where I have bought it from.

We've never had any difficulty using BW pumpout cards bought from all sorts of places, in BW machines in all sorts of other places, Perhaps they mean that BW cards, whether bought from BW or from other retailers, are OK but other (eg marina) pumpout cards won't woerk in the BW machines There are similar-looking pumpout machines at many boatyards, whose cards are not interchangeable with those from BW in either direction.

When this thread descends into a bunfight, just remember that you started it, pal. :cheers:

Yeah agreed........and also daft enough to fit a silly bog that relies far too much on other peoples maintainance of facilities, thats if you can find one when you need it :lol:

Tim

I can assure you that pump out cards retailed from BW are NOt transferable. I bought cards from Stonebridge, Henhouse, Little Venice (Widebeam office? (not!! ha),Market Harborough, Kilby Bridge, and not ONE works any where else than where I have bought it from.

This makes no sense to me.... Cards can be purchased mail order directly from BW/CaRT (I got a job lot the day the price went up as BW were still selling them at the old price) so they cannot be "localised".

You do know that each card works only once don't you (except for the small number that don't work at all).

............Dave

Yeah agreed........and also daft enough to fit a silly bog that relies far too much on other peoples maintainance of facilities, thats if you can find one when you need it :lol:

Tim

I already totally depend on Cart to maintain the Locks, weirs, bridges, reservoirs and a leak free canal bed, so including pump out machines does not bother me too much, and there are always private marinas too.

On just one occasion in the last 7 years (the big freeze) I have had to resort to pumping Sh-t into a plastic container, carrying it along the towpath, and emptying it into a stinky Elsan point, glad I don't have to do it every week...

Oh bugger, now you've got me into the pump-out debate!

..........Dave

We've never had any difficulty using BW pumpout cards bought from all sorts of places, in BW machines in all sorts of other places, Perhaps they mean that BW cards, whether bought from BW or from other retailers, are OK but other (eg marina) pumpout cards won't woerk in the BW machines There are similar-looking pumpout machines at many boatyards, whose cards are not interchangeable with those from BW in either direction.

I reckon thats probably it, so the notice is very badly worded and so even tougher on the shops selling genuine BW cards.

However I reckon I have had a higher failure rate with cards got via shops that the ones I got direct from BW?????

...........Dave

I to..have never had a problem using my cards in other locations ?

I bought several at Anderton last year....and used them in other places.

I always keep a couple of spares when out and about...

Is this a new thing...?

On just one occasion in the last 7 years (the big freeze) I have had to resort to pumping Sh-t into a plastic container, carrying it along the towpath, and emptying it into a stinky Elsan point, glad I don't have to do it every week...

Oh bugger, now you've got me into the pump-out debate!

..........Dave

Blimey, wouldn't it have been easier to have got a cheap porta-potti to use in the meantime and waiting to do a full pump out when you could move the boat?

Edited by Starcoaster

I to..have never had a problem using my cards in other locations ?

I bought several at Anderton last year....and used them in other places.

I always keep a couple of spares when out and about...

Is this a new thing...?

No I think they can be very temperamental.

Loving the new avatar btw

Awful business up here with one of these machines, its always out of order with boaters milling around it cross legged moaning while their boats hog the sanny mooring. The only use i've got for the thing which is positioned on the bank exactly where a mooring ring or bollard is needed outside the sanny is to lasso and tie up to it when emptying my cassette.

Some years ago I tried to use a card bought in the West Midlands in a pump out on the K & A. I wrote to WW about it not working and a reply from BW assured readers that it was a known problem that would be fixed.

We have cassette now so have not tried to use facilities card lately but, on the North East and East Midlands waterways it is the same card for elec pillars and pump out so don't see how these can be universal.

Actually, we have at least 4 different elec cards so these obviously can't be universal.

Regards

Pete

PS. Does anyone know how these new Smart electricity pillars will work for boaters not on a fixed mooring?