help with boat purchase

Darren72

Featured Posts

Any points good or bad on this boat would be a grateful, this COULD be our first boat if our offer is accepted. An offer of £34K has been already accepted but fell thru from a previous buyer, we are thinking of a figure obviously less.

http://www.theusedboat.co.uk/stock_details.asp?bro_no=794

Are you going to live on it ?? if so you will need a solid fuel fire.I think running c/heating all the time is very expensive on the gas

Are you going to live on it ?? if so you will need a solid fuel fire.I think running c/heating all the time is very expensive on the gas

no its for leisure only, but we have noticed no fire on board and would think of having one fit in the future as fire wood would be free for us.

If you do decide to go ahead don't be afraid to put in a lower offer. Boats are like houses, no one ever pays the asking price. (Even if it does have a "god size storage locker" (sic).biggrin.gif

The advert says it is a Midland Canal Center built 2007 and that it has a BMC 1.5. It does seem to me strange that a 2007 build would have such a power-plant it not having been in production for many years but not really having the appeal of the 'classics'. Perhaps I would understand it if the hull was a 1997. I believe that MCCs usual fit nowadays is a Barrus so if it is a BMC it probably is a 'special'.

Not that there is anything especially 'wrong' with a BMC but I would want to check that the motor and age of the hull is as advertised before parting with my cash.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Edited to add: Jim Shead's site gives it an index number of British Waterways number 516538

Does this fit with the advertised year of build?

Edited by ditchdabbler

The advert says it is a Midland Canal Center built 2007 and that it has a BMC 1.5. It does seem to me strange that a 2007 build would have such a power-plant it not having been in production for many years but not really having the appeal of the 'classics'. Perhaps I would understand it if the hull was a 1997. I believe that MCCs usual fit nowadays is a Barrus so if it is a BMC it probably is a 'special'.

Not that there is anything especially 'wrong' with a BMC but I would want to check that the motor and age of the hull is as advertised before parting with my cash.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Edited to add: Jim Shead's site gives it an index number of British Waterways number 516538

how can you find out the BW number? how do you find out if BW number corresponds with that year? Are you saying it MAY have an engine out of an old boat. Thanks for the info so far.

how can you find out the BW number? how do you find out if BW number corresponds with that year? Are you saying it MAY have an engine out of an old boat. Thanks for the info so far.

I think you can contact BW and they will tell you if the number corresponds with the year, others on this forum might also be able to tell you so it might be worth starting a new thread with that question posed.

It might be an engine out of an old boat and it certainly will not be a new engine because they have not been manufactured for many a year. It might however be reconditioned.

Do you know why the previous prospective purchaser did not proceed? Could it be they had picked up on the possible inconsistencies?

Do your research well before you spend your money.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

That's an unusual name -- indeed looking it up on Jim Shead's site reveals there's only one. It gives the BW number as 516538, which looks about right for a 2007 boat.

Good advice. Why not ring the Midland Canal Centre and ask them what records they've got for this boat? 2007 is fairly recent, and they could well have details which would be useful to you.

That's an unusual name -- indeed looking it up on Jim Shead's site reveals there's only one. It gives the BW number as 516538, which looks about right for a 2007 boat.

I thought someone on the forum might know.

Why would anyone fit even a reconditioned BMC 1.5 in a new boat when there are better and more modern products on the market?

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Good advice. Why not ring the Midland Canal Centre and ask them what records they've got for this boat? 2007 is fairly recent, and they could well have details which would be useful to you.

I have emailed MCC to find out. BW number is 516538 on the boat, just zoomed in on photo. next question is! Is that engine any good? Plenty more boats on the cut!!!!!!

I think you can contact BW and they will tell you if the number corresponds with the year, others on this forum might also be able to tell you so it might be worth starting a new thread with that question posed.

It might be an engine out of an old boat and it certainly will not be a new engine because they have not been manufactured for many a year. It might however be reconditioned.

Do you know why the previous prospective purchaser did not proceed? Could it be they had picked up on the possible inconsistencies?

Regards

Ditchdabbler

The brokerage said, supposedly the previous prospective buyer pulled out due to fund raising. I too have my suspicions now. A call to the broker will be made tomorrow for more info. Would I be able to see their survey do you think?

The survey, I believe, belongs to the person commissioning it, therefore they may have kept it themselves.

However even if available via the broker, it may be an adverse report and may get lost in the files somewhere.

Martyn

wikipedia:

In English the word fiasco means an absolute, abject or utterly humiliating failure.

:o

(sure it's actually lovely...odd name though!)

da gamma is Portugese for traveller. The previous owner has African links!!??

Regards

Ditchdabbler

More like 1987. Perhaps the vendor ordered it because he was familiar with those engines. bizzard

The storage locker must be HUGE!!!!!!

They say it is "god sized"!!!!!! :lol:

I agree you will want a stove somehow, and the age doesn't seem right for the look of the interior fit out...it may be that that was what was requested, but most of that age are lighter fit outs generally. The galley also looks small at 6'2" or thereabouts, but it depends how you wish to use it, it's still do-able. Any idea about the insulation type?

Edited by Ally

It looks a nice boat to me (jealous). The broker's site is 'a bit short' on details. Adam did well to find this boat, apparently it is 'Gama' not 'Gamma'. The Broker cannot even get the name right.

The BW number may indicate the year of registration, not construction or comissioning.

If commissioned in 1997 by a Commercial Builder 'F'da'G, 516538' should have been documented according to the Recreational Craft Directive (RCD) which came into force in the UK in June 1996. Ask to see the documents and check that they match the hull ID.

I prefer a 'trad NB', 'semi-trad' is the worst option for a couple; a cratch cover would be useful. What is wrong with that bow door 'arrangement'?

A modern (2007) Alde will adequately heat your boat in winter, provide instant water heating in Summer and a 500W, 230V heater for use on a landline. If the water heating is supplemented by a calorifier coil from the engine a 13Kg gas cylinder (£26.50) could last a month if you cruise every day. In recent winters (max 3C,min -15C), frozen in, my Alde consumed two 13Kg propane bottles a week to keep my cabin at 20C in the day and 5C in the morning *(brrr!) - diesel heating would cost about the same.

Coal and 'foraged' wood is cheaper but requires a lot of skill to maintain a fire overnight.

The best place for a solid fuel fire is not in the front corner. With this standard and proven layout you may have space on the right (starboard) side for a hearth; between the windows, aft of the lounge.

If you have a supply of seasoned fire-wood (doubly jealous) and you intend to use your boat in the winter I think you should look for a boat that can use or be easily adapted to use solid fuel.

Alan

The BSC is out of step with the age - they are normally renewed on the 4th anniversary of the build.

I thought the RCD documentation was acceptable in lieu of a BSS certificate for 5 years, not 4. There's also nothing to stop somebody getting a new BSS certificate before the old one expires, and I know of plenty of brokers who will arrange for an inspection to be performed and a new certificate issued when a boat is sold. Of course, there is also the possibility that the boat has spent some time away from waters where a BSS certificate is required (or on land), and it was allowed to expire for a time at some point in the past.