help with boat purchase

Darren72

Featured Posts

I have emailed MCC to find out. BW number is 516538 on the boat, just zoomed in on photo. next question is! Is that engine any good? Plenty more boats on the cut!!!!!!

The brokerage said, supposedly the previous prospective buyer pulled out due to fund raising. I too have my suspicions now. A call to the broker will be made tomorrow for more info. Would I be able to see their survey do you think?

As already mentioned the survey belongs to the original owner but ,if there is nothing to hide, there should be no reason why you should not be able to see it,

The BSC is out of step with the age - they are normally renewed on the 4th anniversary of the build.

Our BSC was renewed a year early because the boat was out of the water anyway. It made sense because we have no plans to lift the boat next year.

I thought the RCD documentation was acceptable in lieu of a BSS certificate for 5 years, not 4. There's also nothing to stop somebody getting a new BSS certificate before the old one expires, and I know of plenty of brokers who will arrange for an inspection to be performed and a new certificate issued when a boat is sold. Of course, there is also the possibility that the boat has spent some time away from waters where a BSS certificate is required (or on land), and it was allowed to expire for a time at some point in the past.

1. The RCD requirement came into force June 16th 1998. So a 1997 boat would not be subject to that.

2. A previous buyer may have had a survey, and the surveyor may have issued a new BSC as part of the survey. That is quite common. So 4 year gaps are not a reliable way of calculating.

3. A boat that is CE marked under the RCD must have its first BSC after 4 years from the date on the Declaration of Conformity.

I hope this helps, but if you want any further info I am always happy to offer assistance.

Dominic

1. The RCD requirement came into force June 16th 1998. So a 1997 boat would not be subject to that.

But the boat that is subject of original post is claimed as 2007 not 1997 ?

You would expect that must have RCD certification to be sold on within 5 years, wouln't you ?

Also it claims a BSS expiring 2012. In what circumstances would you expect a BSS to e issued for a (say) 2 year old boat ?

But the boat that is subject of original post is claimed as 2007 not 1997 ?

You would expect that must have RCD certification to be sold on within 5 years, wouln't you ?

Also it claims a BSS expiring 2012. In what circumstances would you expect a BSS to e issued for a (say) 2 year old boat ?

There seems to be a great deal of confusion as to what year it is. I would say that it doesn't look like a 2007 fit out, and I would be very surprised if the fit out was done by MCC. I would double check that information if I were the buyer and ask for evidence that it was a MCC fit out. And I would never trust a broker that can't spell "licence" either :)

If it is 2007, then the RCD does apply as you say, and not just for 5 years as some seem to believe, but in perpetuity. Only if it is an owner fit out and not sold on for 5 years after it is first used for its intended purpose is there an exemption from the scheme. I have put together a page of information on this here, derived from Trading Standards.

The Boat Safety could have been issued at any time. Whilst there is no requirement for a CE marked boat to have a BSC for the first 4 years, nevertheless some people do get them. It may be as a belt and braces independent check from day 1 (not a good check, as the BSC permits some things that the RCD does not - that is, the boat can obtain a BSC but still fail to comply with the RCD requirements!) Another instance might be the sale of a boat after, say, 2 years, where the surveyor offers a BSC as part of his service.

Edited by Dominic M

what i know upto press is that the original owner fitted out the boat and fitted a recon BMC as he was a motor engineer of some sort. He sold it in 2010 to the current owner who bought it as a lone live aboard and fitted the inverter, 240 system, etc.

My gut feeling is that the original owner bought a hull off MCC in 2007 and had it had a hardstanding of some sort and fitted it out with what looks like 2nd hand furniture. The boat has definitely had new plumbing, electrics, kitchen etc.

The current owner is selling due to not been bigger enough and is now living on something bigger, which I presume is brand new as, it seems he has taken the pins, hooks, mallet off this boat for his own as I couldnt recall any present.

We are going back to look at the boat in question on Sunday, I will be checking the ID plate on the stern for a date sstamp after been in touch with MCC. A photo of the engine will be taken. Questions will be asked regarding certificate and RCD docs, also as much history from the 1st owner and possible reading of the vendors survey from 2010

what i know upto press is that the original owner fitted out the boat and fitted a recon BMC as he was a motor engineer of some sort. He sold it in 2010 to the current owner who bought it as a lone live aboard and fitted the inverter, 240 system, etc.

My gut feeling is that the original owner bought a hull off MCC in 2007 and had it had a hardstanding of some sort and fitted it out with what looks like 2nd hand furniture. The boat has definitely had new plumbing, electrics, kitchen etc.

The current owner is selling due to not been bigger enough and is now living on something bigger, which I presume is brand new as, it seems he has taken the pins, hooks, mallet off this boat for his own as I couldnt recall any present.

We are going back to look at the boat in question on Sunday, I will be checking the ID plate on the stern for a date sstamp after been in touch with MCC. A photo of the engine will be taken. Questions will be asked regarding certificate and RCD docs, also as much history from the 1st owner and possible reading of the vendors survey from 2010

OK. A little pedantic maybe, but the shell is not MCC; they don't build shells. It will be Stenson Boatbuilders, their sister company. If the owner fitted it out then s/he was legally obliged to sell it on with the CE marking and manuals. Stenson will have provided an Annexe IIIA Declaration of Conformity (DoC) in respect of the shell and whatever stage they'd got it to, but the owner who fitted out should have produced a final DoC and obtained a Craft Identification Number (CIN), and provided an Owner's Maual. Stenson/MCC cannot provide the RCD paperwork unless they fitted the boat out as well. That manual will include all the manuals for all the appliances fitted, wiring diagrams, plumbing diagrams and gas diagrams. It should provide the boat build spec too: tank sizes and so forth. It should declare what ISO standards the craft has been built to - e.g. electrical and gas installation. The broker will know this and should have ensured that all that paperwork is in place, otherwise the sale of the boat without it is a criminal offence on the part of the vendor. The CIN must be stamped or in some way affixed, so that it cannot removed, to the starboard counter of the boat - that's the band around the stern to the right as you look forwards. It is 14 alpha-numeric digits long. If an owner fit out, it will almost certainly begin GB-RYA*********. It should also appear on the DoC. If it does not have any of this in place, you may encounter a problem if you want to sell the boat on in the future.

I know this may sound tiresomely bureaucratic, but it is worth getting it right to avoid future problems.

Dominic

Edited by Dominic M

OK. A little pedantic maybe, but the shell is not MCC; they don't build shells. It will be Stenson Boatbuilders, their sister company...

Fair point, but obscured a little by the role MCC play in the sale. It is MCC on all the paperwork, not Stenson, for our boat.

Certainly check the date. Brokers have been known to.... Ahem.... "make an error" on dates. I saw a boat for sale at a well known brokerage having a boat as a 1997 build. I knew this to be wrong as I had boated on that very boat eight years before that. - I told 'em.