Advice on a solid fuel stove please.

Ernie

Featured Posts

We are seriously considering getting rid of our Bubble diesel stove and replacing it with a solid fuel one that will burn both wood and coal.

The Morso Squirrel appears to be a popular choice.

Any advice on which make and model to go for would be appreciated.

Any makes and models to steer clear of ??

Ernie, can I ask why you are getting rid of the diesel stove?? We plan eventually to have one and just wondered if you had problems with it or is it because of the eventual hike in diesel prices.

Ernie, can I ask why you are getting rid of the diesel stove?? We plan eventually to have one and just wondered if you had problems with it or is it because of the eventual hike in diesel prices.

Hi Mimi,

The Bubble was fine before we moved onto the boat permanently and it was only being used a dozen times a year or so.

85% of the time it is fine.

It took me half an hour to get it to light properly a week ago when we had the heavy rain and the cold snap. It turned out (I think) to be air in the pipe between the control unit and the burner pan.

When lit, it is effected by the wind and often burns with a yellow flame and a lot of soot when windy.

It can be a bit temperamental with the flame level increasing and decreasing on it’s own.

Compared with coal, it is expensive to run as I believe it is using between a third and a half a litre of diesel per hour and when it is on, it is on 24/7 (because it can be a pain to re-light if we turn it off). Many live aboards we have spoken to all say they use less than 2 bags of coal a week in deepest darkest winter and of course, there is also the free wood along the way.

Solid fuel also has drawbacks but having had solid fuel in the past, we are more than happy to go back to it.

And yes, finally, when diesel on the cut goes up, it will be very expensive to run.

The above are my findings only, I am sure others have diesel Bubbles and are more than happy with them.

The 'becton bunny' is a good little stove, and the villager 'canopy top' stoves are pleasant as they can be used like an open fire with both doors open, no smoke. Very reliable too i know one which has done 10 winters no problems. I'm a bit bothered by having seen 3 or 4 'squirrel' stoves cracked across the back, i guess it may be related to wrong fuel type and/or overheating.

We are seriously considering getting rid of our Bubble diesel stove and replacing it with a solid fuel one that will burn both wood and coal.

The Morso Squirrel appears to be a popular choice.

Any advice on which make and model to go for would be appreciated.

Any makes and models to steer clear of ??

From personal experience at home do not buy a Hunter stove. It has an appalling adjustable multi-fuel grate with insufficient ash/air holes and will not riddle well. I find the Brunell on the boat far more satisfactory.

When I complained to Hunters that the stove would not burn the same anthracite that I had been burning on the Prakray she said it was "wet".

Tony Brooks

The 'brunel' stove is made by stovax and they do a nice enamel version. Another good, if small, stove is the villager 'heron' which has recently been replaced with the 'puffin'. They give out a lot of heat for the size but apparently the 'becton bunny' is a bit better.

Thanks to all for the info. So far, I think the Morso Squirrel is top of the list. It has also been recommended by a couple of chandlers that I have passed in the last few days.

Thanks to all for the info. So far, I think the Morso Squirrel is top of the list. It has also been recommended by a couple of chandlers that I have passed in the last few days.

The Squirrel is definitely one of the best. But when Keeping Up was being built the Squirrel proved to be just a bit too big, and we substituted a Little Wenlock which is a couple of inches smaller. It's maybe not quite as versatile but it's a great stove.

OK, let's give an alternative view from a Chandler - don't touch the Squirrel with a barge-pole!

Yes they burn nicely and give out a lot of heat, BUT - as stated previously by magnetman, they tend to break the top plate or back plate, or any other plate after a few years as well as support brackets for the front bars and the bars themselves. The riddle grate can be burnt through in a few months if used every day (costs about £30 to replace) and spares of other bits are very expensive. I know because I have had two of these myself as well as doing very well out of supplying spares to boaters.

Get a Becton Bunny or a Stovax Stockton 3 or a Brunel - much less hassle and easier to maintain.

For even less money, a Valor Willow or Arden are also good value and last very well, particularly if you aren't a live-aboard.

OK, let's give an alternative view from a Chandler - don't touch the Squirrel with a barge-pole!

Yes they burn nicely and give out a lot of heat, BUT - as stated previously by magnetman, they tend to break the top plate or back plate, or any other plate after a few years as well as support brackets for the front bars and the bars themselves. The riddle grate can be burnt through in a few months if used every day (costs about £30 to replace) and spares of other bits are very expensive. I know because I have had two of these myself as well as doing very well out of supplying spares to boaters.

Get a Becton Bunny or a Stovax Stockton 3 or a Brunel - much less hassle and easier to maintain.

For even less money, a Valor Willow or Arden are also good value and last very well, particularly if you aren't a live-aboard.

Many thanks for the advice, I think I will have a re-think. Looks like the Squirrel has just dropped off my short list!!

I am also amazed at the price differences I have been seeing. I have been offered a Squirel from between £425 and £600!!! All for the same spec model.

Many thanks for the advice, I think I will have a re-think. Looks like the Squirrel has just dropped off my short list!!

I am also amazed at the price differences I have been seeing. I have been offered a Squirel from between £425 and £600!!! All for the same spec model.

I,ve cracked two riddlers in a short time on our squirel, They,ve had it good for too long. Try machine mart

Bought an Aarrow Becton Bunny 5 yesterday and have now fitted it. A nice solid bit of kit but can't light it for a few days until all of the sealant sets hard.

All of the body of the stove is guaranteed for life against cracking.

The girl that served us in the candlery has had two of them, one in a boat and one in a house and was well pleased with them.

Will report back when it has been in use for a while.

Hi Ernie,

This is an interesting thread. My build will start soon and I'd specified a Morso squirrel, mainly because until I read the comments here it had seemed so universally popular. Is the Bunny a similar price/spec to the Squirel ?

Rgds

Les

I've got a Squirrel. It has some good points. It will give out ridiculous amounts of heat when required in the heights of winter. It will burn coal, wood both equally efficiently.

I've not had any panels crack but it goes through riddlers (or whatever they're called) like mad and they're stupidly expensive. Her indoors also lost the riddle handle and they wanted 25 quid for a new one. A bit of iron with a pin through it.

I would never have another one simply because of the stupid cost of spares.

Gibbo

The 'bunny' is made from welded steel (excl. Doors) rather than cast iron which is why it won't crack. A friend of mine has had one for 4 or 5 winters and apparently its wicked. I don't think it has quite as much kw output as the 'squirrel' as it is a bit smaller. Best time to get a fire, midsummer means you can play with it before you need to rely on it.

Hi Ernie,

This is an interesting thread. My build will start soon and I'd specified a Morso squirrel, mainly because until I read the comments here it had seemed so universally popular. Is the Bunny a similar price/spec to the Squirel ?

Rgds

Les

There is not much difference in price between the Bunny and the Squirrel. I paid £480 for the Bunny from Midland chandlers. I know I could get it cheaper else where but I now live on the boat and have no other transport so being able to moor up outside the chandlers and pick everything up in one go was worth the additional cost. All in all, the extra bits (Flue, collar, chimney, sealant etc.) came to around £150. The best price I found for the Squirrel was £420 from the chandler at Brausnston bottom lock.

I believe both stoves are rated at 5kw heat output, certainly the Bunny is.

The Bunny is not as fancy as the Squirrel and only time will tell as to how it will perform. I am pleased with the quality of it, it is solidly built and simple.

There is a photo of the Bunny just after I fitted it on my web site at:

http://www.erniesplace.com/CanalBoating/Ju..._June_12_07.htm

• 2 months later...

A useful discussion - we're busy weighing up pros and cons of a diesel fuelled stove, or a solid fuel stove for our narrowboat. Any views/advice for either option? Thanks, Gordon (who wants s solid fuel stove) and his wife (who wants a diesel stove)!

Edited by Gordon Chesterman

A useful discussion - we're busy weighing up pros and cons of a diesel fuelled stove, or a solid fuel stove for our narrowboat. Any views/advice for either option? Thanks, Gordon (who wants s solid fuel stove) and his wife (who wants a diesel stove)!

There are good diesel stoves around but do not be suckered in by ones with claims of "Flame effect" stick with something simple that works.

Please make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm. Kidde do a good one with a number display. I have great fun watching the numers going up and down in the winter. Also a smoke alarm in the bedroom, not the kitchen. :-))

Sue

Or, smoke alarm just outside bedroom, bedroom door shut.

When fitting any of these alarms (CO/smoke etc.) think about where the gases/smoke will go when leaving the items likely to cause the problem and fit the alarms where they will sense the problem quickest mindful of false alarms.

Do not fit smoke alarms above the toaster B)

Yeah good luck with it!

- We're another crowd follower, but the squrrial has never given us any trouble, but it will be interesting to know what you think of the bunny.

Daniel

So far, we have burnt around 8 bags of coal on the stove and we are very pleased with it.