pump for diesel

gaggle

Featured Posts

having bought several containers "25 ltr" of fuel whie the price is low-ish is a pump available to use for transfering it to my tank.

one boat owner told me she uses a whale pump available at caravan shops that is submergable and is quick to use , when i went to the caravan shop the only whale pumps they had were for water.

can these water pumps be used for deisel transfer.

I think any transfer method will have a risk of spillage, a plant waterer hand spray with diluted washing up detergent works well to disperse small spills.

However there are small siphoning systems available that allow both ends of the pipes to be in situe before siphoning starts, they make the job easy.

I bought one at a boat show you just submerge the device give it a shake and the siphon starts, top stuff indeed

Paul

http://www.microlightsport.co.uk/Catalogue.../new_list_6.htm

They are available here (sorry no good at links) if that dosn't work I just googled 'siphon pumps'

Edited by GSer

If you have electricity available, either at your moorings or onboard then there's always the pumps which are used with drills.

When we had the contaminated fuel problem I removed over 100L of diesel using these things. It can be a pig to get the diesel through but once it is, it pumps away quite happily and quickly fills the container. Saying that though, I'm sure any other pump suitable for liquid will pump diesel.

Not much use, but last time I looked in a Screwfix catalogue under "Automotive" they had a barrel pump (screws onto the opening and has a hand pump, probably adaptable to use a drill), I just checked on their website and I can't find it (but there is a "Fuel Pumps" category with a picture of the pump!!!)... :lol:

Out of interest, i was in the shop at Devizes Marina over the weekend and they will no longer be selling red diesel from 1st November 2008. They will instead be giving customers a lift to the local Total garage and lending them a 20L drum to fill up with white diesel. You can borrow a wheelbarrow when back at the Marina to get the drum to your boat. This may change if the regulations and confusion die down over time. Gibson's at Honeystreet will still be selling red from the pump.

Bl**dy EU!

Out of interest, i was in the shop at Devizes Marina over the weekend and they will no longer be selling red diesel from 1st November 2008. They will instead be giving customers a lift to the local Total garage and lending them a 20L drum to fill up with white diesel. You can borrow a wheelbarrow when back at the Marina to get the drum to your boat. This may change if the regulations and confusion die down over time. Gibson's at Honeystreet will still be selling red from the pump.

Bl**dy EU!

Just paid 98ppl for red at Greenham Lock Services in Newbury, mind you, I only took 150ltrs :lol:

Nice bike in your avatar, Rickman Mettisse?, one of my dream garage of many bikes :lol:

Paul

Just paid 98ppl for red at Greenham Lock Services in Newbury, mind you, I only took 150ltrs :lol:

Nice bike in your avatar, Rickman Mettisse?, one of my dream garage of many bikes :lol:

Paul

Fairly certain we paid the same at Gibson's the other week.

One of my dream bikes too! Unfortunately not mine, but one day p'raps :lol:

Roy.

Bl**dy EU!

The system in the EU is quite straightforward and their taxation levels are such that the average car driving boatowner pays far less, in transport fuel tax, than we do.

I've said it before but....If the EU are to blame for the situation we're in, why will it be economically advantageous for me to take the lifeboat across the channel to fill up on the mainland?

Bloody Euroseptics!

The system in the EU is quite straightforward and their taxation levels are such that the average car driving boatowner pays far less, in transport fuel tax, than we do.

I've said it before but....If the EU are to blame for the situation we're in, why will it be economically advantageous for me to take the lifeboat across the channel to fill up on the mainland?

Bloody Euroseptics!

Fair point - dons beret, grabs bratwurst, bakes pizza, strokes donkey and marches to Brussels to shake fist in direction of UK :lol:

My price on DUSTY just dropped to 78p - having filled early today. So how about a trip up to Oxford? Prices here are about the same with Heyford Wharf and Aynho Wharf both 78ish.

Though yesterday the barrel price had its biggest ever rise (16.5%). This will filter through to us sellers in about 3 weeks and yes it will go up.

Have got the tax business sorted in my mind as to how I am going to sell Diesel in November - the maths is one hell of a challenge though. But self certification is the best and fairest way. However it is done those of us who continue to sell the Red (pink) the paper-work will grow 4 fold with two RDCO returns each month and two VAT returns also.

I will be down to Thrupp and Oxford next week wednesday/ish

I think any transfer method will have a risk of spillage, a plant waterer hand spray with diluted washing up detergent works well to disperse small spills.

However there are small siphoning systems available that allow both ends of the pipes to be in situe before siphoning starts, they make the job easy.

I bought one at a boat show you just submerge the device give it a shake and the siphon starts, top stuff indeed

Paul

http://www.microlightsport.co.uk/Catalogue.../new_list_6.htm

They are available here (sorry no good at links) if that dosn't work I just googled 'siphon pumps'

Use one of these to fill ours and they are brilliant,Takes about 3 mins to empty a 25 litre jerry can and then just move the end with the ball in to the next jerry can quick shake and away you go again let gravity take the strain steve.