Current affairs section and filter new content.

Featured Posts

The creation of a new forum section called 'Current Affairs' is a good move. Not least because for some members it allows for easier filtering out of those topics that some have complained about over recent months saying they 'spoil their enjoyment of the forum'.

Previously filtering new content and blocking the virtual pub to avoid seeing these threads and new posts in them meant not seeing any new content in the pub at all. Now you just can filter out all current affair threads and posts (as long as they are posted in the correct section of course).

To filter out all new content relating to 'Current Affairs' do the following-

With a 'view new content window' open, check for the 'filter by forum' option bottom left.

abym49ih.png

Click on this. Another window opens. Note that if you are not going to want to see new content from all forums (the first option at the top) you have to tick the forums you do want to see new content from. Leave 'Current Affairs' and any other forums you don't want to see new content from unticked. Tick all the forums you wish to see new content from.

6kfNt4Jh.png

Click on 'save' at the bottom of the window. The window will close and 'filter by forum' option on the left should now be ticked.

This doesn't stop any new posts appearing in the 'new posts' window that appears on the right of the main forum index page but it would appear that most people come to the forum using 'view new content' anyway so if you don't want to see new threads and or posts on current affairs simply do the above.

Ed. - Note - if you are currently signed in to the forum on another device you will either need to change the same setting on that device too or alternatively sign out the forum on that device and then sign back in. Your setting will be 'remembered' on that device too.

HTH.

Ed - further ed. to reflect change of forum/section name.

Edited by MJG

Thank you for that Martin. It drew my attention to the new section, which is a very nice move in itself so, with that and your instructions, it should now be possible to come here and read about Canals and Boats (with just the odd spat here and there) and enjoy the shared experience. ;)

Well done all concerned! :)

Current affairs section will not just be for political thread, but any new event. However certainly the new section is intend to keep these typically non-boaty threads in one place, and as they are not really suited to being in the VP which was previously the only real place they fitted. This foes does amongst other things allow clearer filtering.

Thanks

Daniel

Yes fanx Dan.

Where should a thread about the Forth Bridge problems be posted?

Its not massively important to get the location of threads in precisely the right sub-forum, so I'd suggest current affairs but realise it might go on longer than one might call "current". If a thread is obviously in the wrong place it can be moved, and a marker can be left in the original sub-forum to locate it.

Its not massively important to get the location of threads in precisely the right sub-forum, so I'd suggest current affairs but realise it might go on longer than one might call "current". If a thread is obviously in the wrong place it can be moved, and a marker can be left in the original sub-forum to locate it.

That sounds like a good idea.

Also the possibility to filter messages or posts you don't want to see, as sometimes playing to be an ostrich, will let you live with less to worry about, and you may live much happier like that too.

Peter.

I don't think it has made much difference to me.

I view all new content and go to the threads I am interested in or am intrigued by.....the title is "usually" a good pointer to the contents also often the OP.

I must admit to being puzzled by people being offended by particular threads as I have always thought it fairly easy to avoid the few obnoxious ones, and even there, I think it sometimes worth scanning, just to get some idea on other peoples positions.