stern gland help needed

Donyh1

Featured Posts

As I can't see the second greaser and where it is connected I can't say why you ave two but the grease cap should be turned down a turn or so after each day's cruising and possibly at lunchtime and refilled as required. Just unscrew the cap and fill the cap with suitable grease.

The large hexagon nut on the gland is a lock nut. Loosen this and use a C spanner (or land nut pliers/stilsons at a pinch) to screw the piece with the holes around it into the casting with the grease cap on. Tighten until the glad just about stops dripping or drips at a maximum rate of 2 drips a minute. Turning the grease cap down should then stop the drip. Unless this is a Lister with an LH150 box ensure you can still turn the shaft by hand so you know you have not overtightened the gland

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've got a Lister with a LH150 box - I can usually turn the prop by hand. Is this not normal? 

Tony says Make Sure You Can Still Do This - its normal - hopefully Tony will expand on why this may not be the case with your set-up - I certainly havn't come across this one.

Edited by matty40s

With the LH150 box you should be able to turn the shaft by hand when its in neutral with the engine running. With the engine stopped it will automatically go into forward gear and you shouldn't be able to turn it by hand. The get you home mode if the hydraulics fail.

34 minutes ago, bizzard said:

With the LH150 box you should be able to turn the shaft by hand when its in neutral with the engine running. With the engine stopped it will automatically go into forward gear and you shouldn't be able to turn it by hand. The get you home mode if the hydraulics fail.

I seem to remember sometimes I can and sometimes not. Currently it does turn but clicks curiously. I regard the thing as possibly clinically insane but as it seems to be doing its job I'll live with it till it doesn't. Again. 

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I seem to remember sometimes I can and sometimes not. Currently it does turn but clicks curiously. I regard the thing as possibly clinically insane but as it seems to be doing its job I'll live with it till it doesn't. Again. 

I have a friend who used to run a private hire taxi firm. His attitude to any problem with one of his cars was “let it develop”.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You probably can for a short time just after stopping the engine whilst the hydraulic pressure disperses, once the pressure has gone it'll lock into forward gear.

39 minutes ago, bizzard said:

You probably can for a short time just after stopping the engine whilst the hydraulic pressure disperses, once the pressure has gone it'll lock into forward gear.

Your forward gear adjustment may be in dire need of adjustment. As the friction lining gradually wears on the forward clutch cone the free play on the operating lever from the fore gear hydraulic cylinder decreases and needs its free play restoring. Once all the free play has gone and as the lining wears further its grip will lessen and the clutch will slip worse and worse,   same as what can happen when riding the clutch pedal on a car.   Its quite an easy job to adjust it to the correct free play.

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Your forward gear adjustment may be in dire need of adjustment. As the friction lining gradually wears on the forward clutch cone the free play on the operating lever from the fore gear hydraulic cylinder decreases and needs its free play restoring. Once all the free play has gone and as the lining wears further its grip will lessen and the clutch will slip worse and worse,   same as what can happen when riding the clutch pedal on a car.   Its quite an easy job to adjust it to the correct free play.

I've mentioned this to three engineers so far and all have said don't worry about it. Is it a job I could do? I seem to recall it being done about ten years ago, a screw adjustment just under the cover. 

9 hours ago, Donyh1 said:

thank you all for your input and comments , much appreciated . i will let you know how i get on .

But what about that second greaser you think you have? It may be something entirely different so its best for you to find out. Lets have some more photos of it.

Arthur - What you say makes no sense so try it first thing in the morning before starting the engine - several days. Biz has said it all, I have nothing to add apart from are you sure the box is an LH150..

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Arthur - What you say makes no sense so try it first thing in the morning before starting the engine - several days. Biz has said it all, I have nothing to add apart from are you sure the box is an LH150..

It is odd. It's definitely an LH150. I do suspect something wrong in the adjustment. A few years ago it developed a tendency to creep forward in neutral, which i understood was sorted by an adjustment to the forward gear screw, but I've since been told this is the opposite of what should happen. The box was rebuilt recently, so there shouldn't really be anything amiss. 

If the ahead adjustment was so far out it allowed you to turn the shaft by hand then it would not drive in ahead. By all means take the top cover off with the engine stopped (take great care of the gasket). The ahead adjustment is between a hexagon headed screw in a piston and a lever that sticks up. There is supposed to be a given clearance here but if you make it about as thick as a 10p piece or florin it should be near enough.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Gosh! It’s a long time since I read that word :)

The first decimal coin to be introduced into England.

I have one in my collection (from the mid 1800s) that actually says "One-Tenth of a Pound" on the reverse.

Britain's First Decimal Coin
The silver florin was Britain's first decimal coin. A gold florin was first issued during the reign of Edward III in 1344 at a value of six shillings. The name derives from Italian, either fiorino (little flower) or Firenze (Florence), and was inspired by a similar continental coin.
After the influence of the French Revolution, there grew a European movement towards decimalisation. During the early part of Victoria's reign, the decimal question became an important social and political subject. In 1824 Lord Wrottesley's proposal for decimal currency was rejected by Parliament, and there were other reports and commissions in 1853, 1857, and 1918. Many trial pattern pieces were produced, and there was much debate about what new denominations should be introduced. Eventually, it was decided that a new coin, the florin could be easily introduced. It fitted easily into the existing monetary system, being worth two shillings (2/-), or one tenth of a pound.

From the Royal Mint website :

...............the florin did not feature as part of the British coinage until 1849.

It was introduced as a concession to enthusiasts for a decimal system of coinage, being one-tenth of a pound in value. It owed its name not to any resemblance in shape or value to the gold florins of Edward III but to the fact that it was about the same size as Dutch and Austrian florins current at that time. Its first issue aroused public indignation owing to the omission of the words DEI GRATIA and FIDEI DEFENSOR from Queen Victoria’s titles, the coin thereby commonly being known as the Godless or Graceless florin. This omission was soon corrected and the florin proved to be a useful addition to the silver circulation, if sometimes troublesome because of its close similarity in size to the half-crown.

Edited by Alan de Enfield