Why is this forum becoming a joke !!!

norman18grp

Featured Posts

Not at all brother, I was merely intimating that cugsey's beef must be with everyone left of mussollini (though, now you mention it Dave does look a bit on the chubby side).
Im sure he is just big boned. Its not easy for us northerners ya know having to cope with hollands meat and potato pie chips and gravey :rolleyes:
well putbut beware len that you are now on the comrades whingeing hit list
tried readin lens comments again to see exactly which points were 'well put' nope, sorry, cant find em

well put

but beware len that you are now on the comrades whingeing hit list

Whee I get to be on a list.....

Hey, out of all the members on the list only three have ridden to Mr. Mayall's defence - It is sometimes interesting to shake the tree and see what falls out.

I fully realised just how contentious my post would be and it garnered just the type of response I expected - mostly along the lines of - and here I will unashamedly paraphrase:(cue cries of, "I/We never said anything like that...")

"That's the way it's always been, so grow a thicker skin" and "While we're allowed to express our opinion in any way we see fit you can't."

I predict what we'll now see is a succession of posts where they cuddle up in a cyber hug confident that they've seen off the nasty folk....

The point is, there are ways and ways of making a point, expressing a point of view presenting a diametrically opposed point of view without making an o/p or subsequent posters feel as though they are being attacked for holding their point of view.

Have a look at Mr. Mayall's response to Grasshopper's (posts 120/121) for an example of what I, in my humble opinion believe to be an example of an unnecessarily aggressive post, both in the tone in which it is expressed and the attidudes that it appears to support.

Carlt chooses to interpret my, "You really should be careful in what you wish for, Mr. Mayall..... :) " as a veiled threat.

I however contend that it was a well intentioned and heartfelt warning that Mr. Mayall's, "My name, the name of my boat, and where I moor are all freely available. Were then is the baying lynch mob?" may be seen by some as a foolish challenge that could put him in danger.

But of course, Mr. Mayall knows that the majority of folk are quiet, calm and reasonable and most unlikely to take up the gauntlet and so justifies his continued rudeness because no-one will take up the offer and therefore he must be right in all he says no matter how he says it.

Well, I'm all for robust discussion but if folk feel some posters seem to deliberately go out of their way to " shoot down peoples opinions and rain on their parade ! " then there's a problem that needs to be addressed. simply because they are used to getting away with it in other areas of cyberspace does not mean it has to be tolerated here.

lenx

Whee I get to be on a list.....

Hey, out of all the members on the list only three have ridden to Mr. Mayall's defence - It is sometimes interesting to shake the tree and see what falls out.

I fully realised just how contentious my post would be and it garnered just the type of response I expected - mostly along the lines of - and here I will unashamedly paraphrase:(cue cries of, "I/We never said anything like that...")

"That's the way it's always been, so grow a thicker skin" and "While we're allowed to express our opinion in any way we see fit you can't."

I predict what we'll now see is a succession of posts where they cuddle up in a cyber hug confident that they've seen off the nasty folk....

The point is, there are ways and ways of making a point, expressing a point of view presenting a diametrically opposed point of view without making an o/p or subsequent posters feel as though they are being attacked for holding their point of view.

Have a look at Mr. Mayall's response to Grasshopper's (posts 120/121) for an example of what I, in my humble opinion believe to be an example of an unnecessarily aggressive post, both in the tone in which it is expressed and the attidudes that it appears to support.

Carlt chooses to interpret my, "You really should be careful in what you wish for, Mr. Mayall..... :) " as a veiled threat.

I however contend that it was a well intentioned and heartfelt warning that Mr. Mayall's, "My name, the name of my boat, and where I moor are all freely available. Were then is the baying lynch mob?" may be seen by some as a foolish challenge that could put him in danger.

But of course, Mr. Mayall knows that the majority of folk are quiet, calm and reasonable and most unlikely to take up the gauntlet and so justifies his continued rudeness because no-one will take up the offer and therefore he must be right in all he says no matter how he says it.

Well, I'm all for robust discussion but if folk feel some posters seem to deliberately go out of their way to " shoot down peoples opinions and rain on their parade ! " then there's a problem that needs to be addressed. simply because they are used to getting away with it in other areas of cyberspace does not mean it has to be tolerated here.

lenx

Now thats far better than the verbal abuse you threw at Mr Mayall in your earlier post. Your now making reasoned comment...mind you it does take longer to type

Ah, OK, I hadn't realised that we were playing a numbers game.

So, to get this entirely clear, whoever has the biggest gang is right?

Seems to be an odd attitude for somebody on your side of the argument to take, but it is a free world.

Of course, the point that you are missing is that those who have "ridden to my defence" haven't done so because they agree with everything I say (indeed we share very few viewpoints), but because You are indulging in behaviour which goes far beyond the behaviour that you are so ready to condemn.

Not at all. Feel free to post however you wish.

You must, however expect to be branded a hypocrite if you refuse to abide by the rules that you would impose on others.

Not at all.

It merely says that the online world is as the online world is, and that those who dislike it that way will never manage to change that.

If they can't live with that, then online discussion will probably never be a satisfying experience for them

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I Cannot change…

Courage to change the things I can

And Wisdom to know the difference…

Which it was, of course.

Not that I much care.

You can issue as many veiled threats as you like. They just make you look rather silly.

Cheese an' onion pie, chips, peas, gravy and loads of ketchup - aka "RTA".

Is anyone else getting bored with all this talk of scrapping and stuff, or is it just me? There'll never be an agreement reached so why waste any more time on it?

Do I now need to 'flounce' away from this forum - petticoat in one hand, pint of Old Peculier in t'other - having just made a contentious remark and probably insulted several key members?

Or can I stay and continue to absorb all the fascinating canal info found on here, and possibly contribute summat worthwhile myself one day? Maybe make a few friends on the cut?

After all, isn't THAT what Canal World is all about?

Cheese an' onion pie, chips, peas, gravy and loads of ketchup - aka "RTA".

Is anyone else getting bored with all this talk of scrapping and stuff, or is it just me? There'll never be an agreement reached so why waste any more time on it?

Do I now need to 'flounce' away from this forum - petticoat in one hand, pint of Old Peculier in t'other - having just made a contentious remark and probably insulted several key members?

Or can I stay and continue to absorb all the fascinating canal info found on here, and possibly contribute summat worthwhile myself one day? Maybe make a few friends on the cut?

After all, isn't THAT what Canal World is all about?

has to be hollands cheese and onion. mmmmm trouble is there aint many outlets that do them in kent :)

Asda does occaisionally but its hit and miss, so i have to rely on trips home to rochdale to get me fix.

apparantly your not allowed to leave the forum after making contentious remarks, you have to remain and see it all through to the end on pain of having your petticoat excomunicated

As for scrapping and stuff, its all part of growing up and being british

Ah, OK, I hadn't realised that we were playing a numbers game.

So, to get this entirely clear, whoever has the biggest gang is right?

Seems to be an odd attitude for somebody on your side of the argument to take, but it is a free world.

Oh, OK, no-one agrees with me.

Of course, the point that you are missing is that those who have "ridden to my defence" haven't done so because they agree with everything I say (indeed we share very few viewpoints), but because You are indulging in behaviour which goes far beyond the behaviour that you are so ready to condemn.

Not at all. Feel free to post however you wish.

Thank you for your permission to do so

You must, however expect to be branded a hypocrite if you refuse to abide by the rules that you would impose on others.

Not at all.

It merely says that the online world is as the online world is, and that those who dislike it that way will never manage to change that.

If they can't live with that, then online discussion will probably never be a satisfying experience for them

If this is how you get your satisfaction - you need to get out more! On the other hand, maybe it would be safer all round if you stayed in.....!

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I Cannot change…

Courage to change the things I can

And Wisdom to know the difference…

Now, on whose lips have I heard those words before? Oh yes, a woman whose actions managed to create a society where, 'Greed is good' and the social destruction she caused we are still suffering the effects of.

I've had terrible problems in trusting anyone since, from whose lips those words fell.

Which it was, of course.

Not that I much care.

You can issue as many veiled threats as you like. They just make you look rather silly.

No, it's your stock in trade willful and aggressive misinterpretation / ignoring of what has been said in a post, in an attempt to garner support for an increasingly untenable position, that makes you look foolish and alienates other posters.

The bottom line is, some people on this forum find you aggressive, rude and patronising. We would appreciate it if when you reply to posts could you do so in a way as to not cause offence or appear to be attacking a poster.

You strike me as being reasonably bright so please, take on the legitimate concerns of other users of this forum and prove how open, receptive and considerate you really are by showing a little consideration.

Other folk here have managed to do so the past out of regard for the forum, I can't imagine you would not be prepared to show the same level of regard.

lenx

As soon as I read len's posts I was reminded of something I saw posted a while ago on another forum. It went something like the following but not quite the same, hoever I think some will agree that a lot of the descriptions fit.

:)

Not the most fitting term for this particular warrior, but the only one I can think of, inspired by someone I met in a chatroom somewhere...

Description

The Challenger comes from nowhere, picks a target for no reason and launches into that target. Nobody knows who he is and the target is caught off guard, is it a would-be Duellist come to haunt the target from another board where he's made enemies? Is it someone the target has wronged on this forum, chatroom service or site? Nope, it's a an Enfant Provocateur looking for fun, a Tiny Yapper guffawing at his own shite.

Attacking Style

The Challenger will, as previously stated take his target and possibly the other warriors around off guard, having them wonder just who the Challenger is. More controversial or veterans warriors who make no attempt to hide their identites across several fora may wonder if Challenger really is a would-be Duellist, other warriors will wonder what the hell Challenger's problem is. Challenger will make howling errors showing himself up not long after he arrives, making completely out of character accusations that the observing warriors won't believe or resorting to the usual Enfant Provocateur attacks ("ur mom" jokes, "wer do u live?", etc) only restricting to one person chosen at random rather than spreading it around to everyone the way the more classic Enfant would.

Challenger is only effective when warriors fail to realise that he's a Tiny Yapper and can be easily defeated by completely ignoring him. Challenger, when being ignored in public may either move onto another target or take things into private, Challenger is at his best when he meets up with a target that responds in thew same low-quality insults as him or who puts too much stock in winning a cyber-argument that nobody else knows nor cares about, up to the point of losing allies through it. Eventually Challenger will tangle with a Big Dog, Big Cat or Kung Fu Master and flee the field in disarray maybe to return under another nick to try the same tricks, only to be spotted by his nemesis and run away again.

Allies

If the Challenger is known to other warriors, they may side with him or play Diplomat should both the CHallenger and their target be known and respected by that warrior.

Enemies

The warrior's target, the target's allies and anyone who spots what the Challenger is and what he's doing, although those who recognise the Challenger for what he is will likely just swap him away like a fly.

If this is how you get your satisfaction - you need to get out more! On the other hand, maybe it would be safer all round if you stayed in.....!

It isn't about satisfaction, it is about telling it as it is.

The world is as the world is, and pointing that out doesn't make me a bad person.

No, it's your stock in trade willful and aggressive misinterpretation / ignoring of what has been said in a post, in an attempt to garner support for an increasingly untenable position, that makes you look foolish and alienates other posters.

Not at all. I state my opinions, and people are free to agree/disagree/ignore as they see fit. I have no interest in garnering support, because I don't believe that having the biggest gang makes you right.

The bottom line is, some people on this forum find you aggressive, rude and patronising. We would appreciate it if when you reply to posts could you do so in a way as to not cause offence or appear to be attacking a poster.

We?

Is this the royal we, or did you get elected as a spokesman whilst I wasn't looking (yes, yes, I know, lots of lurkers have sent you private messages of support)

but it appears to be his turn in the barrel.

Well that's solved the craving for chips and gravy, at least.

One of the points that len misses is that mayalld's style may not be to everyone's taste, his political stance may differ from others and his dress sense may be bordering on bizarre (I'm determined to get him in a petticoat though, with bustle), but his posts do not contravene the rules of the forum.

Len's post, imho, did though, by being abusive and insulting. So who is the guilty party?

Just because you don't like a person doesn't mean they are wrong and you are right. Mayalld expresses his opinions forcibly but fairly, and he doesn't overreact when someone disagrees.

Like Snibble, I don't see what he does wrong.

Damned if I can work out what mayalld is supposed to have said/done, but it appears to be his turn in the barrel.

Group flounce?

wouldnt a group flounce be deemed as being subversive comrades? shouldnt we try individual flounces where the common worker could join at will without feeling pressurised by the ruling politburo

Getting back to the original suggestion of this post. It is a sad fact whether some would like to admit it or not, that there is undoubtadly a click on here who readily do jump to defend each other if any one of them is under fire for their opinions.

The same few names over and over again.

Whilst at the same time they will readilly sit back and do nothing whilst watching one of their click attack someone elses posts if they feel in the mood to do so.

Its a gang thing they feel safe in numbers and they arnt brave enough to go it alone and stand by their own opinions.

That is the suggestion of the original post and sadly it is true, but no amount of reasonable discussion will change a thing because its their forum plain and simple.

Get out of it what you can guys. This forum does sometimes prove useful and has helped me a lot at times. Its a game and if all else fails, block the comments of the ones that annoy you the most (I do) and wind the buggers up as much as you can.

Now then back to hirers .......... :)