Unusual Ideas for Tiller Pins

Goldberry

Featured Posts

Thistles, cats, birds... all the usual things. I've got an owl. Lets think up some new ones :)

Well, it doesn't look very unusual, but it's made from an unidentified object that we bought off Malcolm Braine at the Ellesmere Port jumble last Easter. We also got some lengths of brass step edging and four lovely handrails which are all being put to good and innovative uses!

pic link

Well, it doesn't look very unusual, but it's made from an unidentified object that we bought off Malcolm Braine at the Ellesmere Port jumble last Easter. We also got some lengths of brass step edging and four lovely handrails which are all being put to good and innovative uses!

pic link

I say! Thats a damn fine bow you've got under you woman!

Tony.

Thistles, cats, birds... all the usual things. I've got an owl. Lets think up some new ones :)

not a very good picture but you can see the viking head with helmet which we use as a tiller pin

R03YG3VO.jpg click on the picture to enlarge

growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional

pic link

I am pretty certain that I know what that tiller pin is made from. You are almost certainly the proud owner of a traditional Tiller Pin made from the handle of a Victorian brass Fire Iron. The working boatmen, forever resourceful, would buy fire damaged pokers for a few pence from Scrap merchants, or Junk shops and saw the end off.

I have a box full of Traditional Tiller pins, one for every day, although even my Sunday best one is not as magnificent as yours. Unfortunately it would appear that someone has replaced the original brass stem with a modern Stainless steel one. The stem should be made of mild steel covered with a layer of rolled brass, pinched into a slot to hold it in place. Stair rods were made from the same material, and I have a box full of them as well, I would happily let you have a piece to make your own if you are interested, they are usually either 5/16" or 3/8" diameter and the thread is usually BSW.

Edited by David Schweizer

We used to use a steel ...'thing' when we were boating with USK for Walsall council, sometimes we'd bring along our own brass poker handle as someone mentioned higher up the thread but with so many kids and 'enthusiastic' teachers on the boat it was safer to use what was basically a glorified 6 inch nail

:)

Bet there's a couple of bob to be made by some enterprising soul who wanted to do boot sales and turn some of the brass curios into tiller pins...

I seem to remember Faries Wear Boots looking for a faerie tiller pin a while back

Allan

I am pretty certain that I know what that tiller pin is made from. You are almost certainly the proud owner of a traditional Tiller Pin made from the handle of a Victorian brass Fire Iron. The working boatmen, forever resourceful, would buy fire damaged pokers for a few pence from Scrap merchants, or Junk shops and saw the end off.

I have a box full of Traditional Tiller pins, one for every day, although even my Sunday best one is not as magnificent as yours. Unfortunately it would appear that someone has replaced the original brass stem with a modern Stainless steel one. The stem should be made of mild steel covered with a layer of rolled brass, pinched into a slot to hold it in place. Stair rods were made from the same material, and I have a box full of them as well, I would happily let you have a piece to make your own if you are interested, they are usually either 5/16" or 3/8" diameter and the thread is usually BSW.

Yes, I think you're right, that it was a handle of some kind of fire implement. It was in two pieces, and was one of a pair, so we have a spare if anything should befall it. But we had to add the pin - which is made from an old poker - mild not stainless steel (you can see a drip of rusty water already forming in the photo) so I hope that's sufficiently traditional!

Ours is a turtle, but I saw a pretty fine spread eagle tiller pin a couple of days ago, and the wings looked leathal, but very beautiful.

I think they should bring out some with really ornate celtic type shapes. They would look cool.

Cars, why not one with your boat on it? Or would that be cheesy?

My pseudonym comes from being a life long supporter of a no hope football team, Chorley FC: they play in black and white and are known as the magpies and I post there as Magpie in Exile.

Their badge used to be a magpie sitting on a football: now if I could get one of those for a tiller pin...

Riple does have more urgent priorities though!

If you were able to step back a bit in time, I'm pretty sure you would find that fancy tiller pins, including the 'traditional' poker handles, were 'a bit of flash' for the working boaters and not the essential kit which they're seen as today. After all, they didn't use them to hang their lines :) A coach bolt would do the job just as well (without the nut).

The same is certainly true of brass tiller bars, I remember them as being the exception rather than the rule in the last days of Narrow Boat carrying, certainly in the NW. Steel tube, with some multicoloured stripes if you were lucky/motivated to do it, was the norm.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

In the name of authenticity we've had old poker ends, old poker ends on mild steel shafts, down to a bit of unpainted old scaffolding for the tiller handle. Where is this going? Am I going to be sneered at for having the forward part of my boat devoted to living space instead of filling it with coal like in t'old days? :)

NB: I've got a cat, rather obviously. Couldn't find one walking by itself, so I had to settle for one that just sits.

Bet there's a couple of bob to be made by some enterprising soul who wanted to do boot sales and turn some of the brass curios into tiller pins...

I seem to remember Faries Wear Boots looking for a faerie tiller pin a while back

Allan

We were! We ended up getting a bog standard tiller pin from Crick, of course a couple of weeks later we found a pewter fairy that was just the right size and a welder friend put a steel rod up her backside ( :) ) It worked a treat, except that he dropped her and broke a leg off! :)