Repaint. Grit Blast or not?

Featured Posts

My boat is 12 years and am considering a repaint and taking account of the long lead for booking slots I am making enquiries now.  It was repainted back to bare metal via a scabbler five years ago. The existing is OK but has a few pin head rust spots on cabin sides.  I've checked a few painter sites and some say grit blast others don't mention it. Any views on this would be appreciated.

18 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Repainted 5 years ago and now needs another?  Something not quite right there.

Maybe your right but I would still like a repaint although paintwork is OK.  It's just the pinhead spots.  I have suffered stoning year before last so could be that.  How long should a paint job last?

Old Friends was painted 14 years ago and is nearing having the sides redone,  the roof and ends are done more frequently being more exposed to damage and the elements.

If the paint is only 5 years old and done well, I would probably only flat it back, treating the rust spots and start from there. 

Yourself can help by treating the spots now with a rust treatment and blobbing some paint on top to stop further spread.

Beware of grit blasting.   Unless done very carefully it will compress the surface of the steel and can cause the cabin to change shape - waviness and ripples may appear so that windows don't seal well and doors don't fit like they used to. The problem is that typical cabin plate is quite thin and minimally braced.

Talk to the blast company and make sure they understand the cabin thickness and the need for it to remain straight for your new paint job. They should then be able to select the right media and a suitable pressure setting to do the job.

N

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Beware of grit blasting.   Unless done very carefully it will compress the surface of the steel and can cause the cabin to change shape - waviness and ripples may appear so that windows don't seal well and doors don't fit like they used to. The problem is that typical cabin plate is quite thin and minimally braced.

Blimey how thin is your cabin? You're making it sound like tin foil! If a steel boat can't stand up to a bit of grit blasting I'd be questioning the build quality. I don't think the OP needs to grit blast his cabin anyway - it sounds a bit extreme after only 5 years.

My cabin sides and roof are 5mm thick. I can't see normal grit blasting affecting it and it's supposedly a low quality Liverpool Boat. My below gunwale hull sides are 6mm and they were fine after being grit blasted. No change of shape!

034.jpg

Edited by blackrose