Window Catches

Featured Posts

Just about to have a survey done on a boat and if all goes well I am buying it. The windows need a little attention and the catches that hold the top part of the windows shut are old and rusty, I have to use a pair of pliers to close thIMG_0463.JPG.efee758b1543bcf7b6e8412e7379c382.JPGem. Does anyone know where I can get replacements, they are the ones that close onto the window. Picture attached.

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

They soon clean up with a bit of oil and wriggling, in fact they can become too loose. 

And go gently with them until they’re freed off. If you break one you’ll be into all sorts of fabrication to replace it. 

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And go gently with them until they’re freed off. If you break one you’ll be into all sorts of fabrication to replace it. 

I think i removed mine from the frames (two screws), fixed one end in a vice, and with gentle persuasion /oil and a pair of pliers or molegrips on the other end freed them up. 

18 minutes ago, afinlay2015@btinternet.com said:

Great advise thanks, does anyone know where I can buy new ones if I need too

I could be being slightly paranoid but I would suggest you change your forum name, using your email address could lead to a lot of spam and dodgy emails

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I could be being slightly paranoid but I would suggest you change your forum name, using your email address could lead to a lot of spam and dodgy emails

Definitely change asap.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I thought you meant an "e" was missing! :)

• Greenie 1

I have similar windows and could not locate replacements so made my own from ally channel and turned parts with proper bushes and o ring to stop water dripping when tilted open.

Pm me if you want details etc

Currently trying to find a supply of the rubber extuded strip that the glass sits on , if anybody has a source imformation would be helpful

Edited by adrianh

If any of the catches break you could easily make some small triangular(ish) shaped wedges out of wood. You only need one for each window and just slip it into one end to keep them shut. I know somebody who uses this method and it works well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/07/2018 at 18:37, tree monkey said:

You are only paranoid if they are *not* out to get you, and with emails on t'intertubes they *are*!