barge painters

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, canalsteve said:

can anyone recommend a barge painter in the North West

to do a 57`

thankyou.

I had mine done here five years ago and still looks good.

http://www.nbmarineservices.co.uk/thepaintshed/the-paintshed.htm. aka The Paintshed

Edited by plainsman
Confused text

2 minutes ago, plainsman said:

Come off it people, you know what the OP is looking for. Give him a break.

'Smart answers' do not do you credit

It depends on the boat (NB or WB) and how far they need to travel to get to a recommended painter.

The painter will depend on the value (to the OP) of the boat - a full repaint at somewhere like Aqueduct Marina can cost over £20,000 which is daft if that's close to the market value of the boat.

If we know a little more about the boat and location we can recommend places to speak to. 

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It depends on the boat (NB or WB) and how far they need to travel to get to a recommended painter.

The painter will depend on the value (to the OP) of the boat - a full repaint at somewhere like Aqueduct Marina can cost over £20,000 which is daft if that's close to the market value of the boat.

If we know a little more about the boat and location we can recommend places to speak to. 

£20k!!!! No wonder people never use boats like that!! I’m all for a shiny boat but what do they do to justify that price?? 

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

£20k!!!! No wonder people never use boats like that!! I’m all for a shiny boat but what do they do to justify that price?? 

Everything!

All fittings off, shotblast to bare steel, fill, several coats of primer, undercoat, topcoat in a temperature controlled shed, decorative painting on the fiddly bits.

If you have a narrowboat valued at £150,000 it's not silly money for the work.

Me?  I bought some paint and some brushes :D

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Everything!

All fittings off, shotblast to bare steel, fill, several coats of primer, undercoat, topcoat in a temperature controlled shed, decorative painting on the fiddly bits.

If you have a narrowboat valued at £150,000 it's not silly money for the work.

Me?  I bought some paint and some brushes :D

That still seems on the high side compared to other yards for a similar job....but good luck to them if people are paying it! 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

That still seems on the high side compared to other yards for a similar job....but good luck to them if people are paying it! 

That is admittedly the very top end of their prices, they will charge less if they do less.

They do excellent work, but I agree it's not cheap.  Mind you, mooring at Aqueduct is a bit steep for my pocket ...

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That is admittedly the very top end of their prices, they will charge less if they do less.

They do excellent work, but I agree it's not cheap.  Mind you, mooring at Aqueduct is a bit steep for my pocket ...

I winced when we brought an ice cream there!! 

52 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

All good points, but it is for the OP to decide convenience and value for money etc  All that was asked for was recommendations in the Northwest nothing else. 

1 hour ago, plainsman said:

All good points, but it is for the OP to decide convenience and value for money etc  All that was asked for was recommendations in the Northwest nothing else. 

He can't be that bothered because he hasn't been back since asking the question to see the answers, or say thank you.