Trade Fair

Rory 2

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, Rory 2 said:

Planning on exploring waterways on new build narrow boat. What publication would be the best to inform me of trade fairs/exhibitions that would allow me to see what’s on offer and it’s cost

Don't bother, just go and visit Colecraft. Not that I'm biased or anything.

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, Rory 2 said:

Planning on exploring waterways on new build narrow boat. What publication would be the best to inform me of trade fairs/exhibitions that would allow me to see what’s on offer and it’s cost

You could try 'Canal Boat' magazine - the annual subscription for the electronic version is £20 if I remember correctly. It mentioned Crick Boat Show before the big event and it also has lots of adverts for boat builders. 

Another option is to have a look around marinas that sell pre loved narrowboats so that you can get a feel for what it is that you might want and/or need from your new boat - or you might find one that you like then you won't need to wait to have one built. :)

https://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/

Edited by Tumshie
Spelling.

12 hours ago, WotEver said:

Any particular reason for new? 

Wotever' question is important. A New boat will have a snagging list as long as your arm. If you want 'new', look for a one to two year old boat where all the snags are ironed out. We bought a new boat once. Never again.

32 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

and almost certainly what you think is best for you now will not be after a few months living with it. Buy second-hand and after a couple of years you will know what you really want.

We bought a new 40' sailing yacht thinking it would be 'plug and play', to go off racing and then long distance cruising. The first year was spent fixing all the things that the builders had got wrong. It took us 3 months to get the engine starting properly as there was a serious fault on the brand new Volvo Penta engine. When it was craned in, it was craned out 5 mins later as the depth sounder hadnt been installed properly. During the build, we worried about our money! The deposit. The builder. The agent. Would someone go bust and our cash in limbo. We had at least had a similar but smaller boat before so we knew what we needed in terms of layout and kit.

For someone new to narrowboats, you cant possibly know what you want – so if you want a new boat, get an old one first, see what you like then go for new.

After the 'luxury' of having a new sailing yacht, we went for a 15 year old narrowboat and it is just perfect. 1/3rd of the price and it will last us another 10 years. Strip out any bits you don't like and get it refitted. If you like, spend another £90K for new one but dont plan to go too far in the first few months.

• Greenie 2

Thanks for the advice, I’ve been on a couple of trips and have thought about what I need.

i know the enormous savings on second hand and it’s good advice, I’m so cautious advice like this would mean I never leave my basement. I don’t need a depth sounder but I have decided that traditional paintwork should be replaced by WW✌️1 Naval camouflage. Zebra stripes, submarine attacks are an increasing menace on the Kennet and Avon run.

0DE8C6EB-B6D4-49D6-BB4C-3C8456EBB947.jpeg

3DE51BF5-E52E-4DC9-A1AE-021A4B71B891.jpeg

On 15/06/2018 at 12:30, Rory 2 said:

This publication. CWF.

The assembled population of posters here knows more about everything boaty than any narrow boat mag!! 

But as has already been said, THE premier show of the year has just passed. And buying new is a dopey decision for reasons already explained :)

The reason for new is I expect to pass it on and want robust, lowest maintenance and longevity. A dodgy right arm makes the thought of running a 58’ narrowboat, mooring, coping with locks, pushing off from running aground .... makes me think a few ‘extras’, might be practical. A hydraulic crane to carry mini bike / coal and friends, many of whom are , or who look likely to become legless in the near future. I don’t need a jacuzzi, thunderbird style solar panels that sprout at the touch of a button. Open plan, woodburner, simple small galley, bedroom would be storage + bedroom for visitors or flu attacks.

38 minutes ago, Rory 2 said:

Thanks for the advice, I’ve been on a couple of trips and have thought about what I need.

Have you spent much time on the K&A, and as your 'details' say you are based in London, have you spoken with any London / K&A boaters about the present and future developments currently under discussion ?

You are looking at the most heavily policed / enforced area of the country - are you looking to take a permanent 'home mooring' or to go CCing ?

Clearly not if the Kennet and Avon are so frightened of a joke. I found it a pleasant and friendly place. No threats, no underhand insinuation that I would be liable to Police action if I were to move through there. Judging by the concrete WW2 pillboxes that dot the canal bank, I would be better off with bullet proofing rather than camouflage .

theres nothing like a warm welcome!!

9 minutes ago, Rory 2 said:

Clearly not if the Kennet and Avon are so frightened of a joke. I found it a pleasant and friendly place. No threats, no underhand insinuation that I would be liable to Police action if I were to move through there. Judging by the concrete WW2 pillboxes that dot the canal bank, I would be better off with bullet proofing rather than camouflage .

theres nothing like a warm welcome!!

I think you may have misunderstood the 'message'.

As someone who has 'made a couple of trips on a boat' I (we) have no idea about your knowledge of the legal requirements of boat ownership and the need to either pay for a mooring, or to move every few days to a new 'place'.

Rather than wait for the cry "its so unfair C&RT have taken my boat from me" it is better to assume you have minimum knowledge and provide the information so you can either say "thanks I already know that from my research", or "that's a big help I didn't know that".

Here is a summary of actions taken (a couple of years ago) over a 12 month period by C&RT for overstaying / not moving enough :

Refusal to renew licence and a restricted licence offered and accepted = 652

Boater 'changed habits' to comply and were issued with a full 12 month licence = 25
Boaters who accepted they cannot comply with the CC requirements and took a 'home mooring' = 131
Sold boat = 98
Still subject to ongoing enforcement action =56
Boat removed from network = 40
Still unlicensed = 47

Grand Total 1049

If you contravene C&RTs conditions / Licence conditions etc they act by cancelling your licence, they then take action / take you to court for not having a valid boat licence.

The Government (DEFRA), local Councils and C&RT are currently undertaking a review of Boats / Boating in the London Area - it is unlikely to be beneficial for many of the boaters already in the area.

• Greenie 2