Passage Planning - Newark to Goole

Bantam_dave21

Featured Posts

Hi 

I've read quite a bit on here and elsewhere about the tidal trent etc but wanted to get some input about my specific trip.

i'm particularly interest in duration and timing so I can take time off work etc.

I've also read a bit about poor lock keeper advice recently about tide times etc...particularly Cromwell and the lockie at Keadby expecting people earlier than practicable.

planning to move my 33ft cruiser, twin shafts from just below Newark on the Trent to Goole, probably via the Keadby - height allowing to avoid Trent Falls and the Ouse

Any help or advice appreciated whether that be via The Keadby or Ouse.

Thanks

I have actually spoken to both Cromwell and Keadby today for advice on general times for a couple of weeks time when we will be doing this. I seemed to get sensible answers from both!  

Given ours is in a NB I will break the trip overnight at Torksey, no idea if you can do it in one hop with a faster cruiser, but I would have thought it could be tight on time, so breaking it in two would make it less time pressured if nothing else.

This is my understanding, which could be flawed!  Cromwell to Torksey is not that time critical and we have done that part last year, so leaving Cromwell around high tide at Cromwell is I think that we will do.  The recommendation with a NB is to leave Torksey for Keadby an hour after flood at Torksey, I think that makes it a bit more than an hour before high tide at Torksey, and with a 4 hour 30 min predicted trip that is supposed to give  plenty of time to get into Keadby.

No doubt the experts will be along, but that above is based advice from the lock keepers.

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I have actually spoken to both Cromwell and Keadby today for advice on general times for a couple of weeks time when we will be doing this. I seemed to get sensible answers from both!  

Given ours is in a NB I will break the trip overnight at Torksey, no idea if you can do it in one hop with a faster cruiser, but I would have thought it could be tight on time, so breaking it in two would make it less time pressured if nothing else.

This is my understanding, which could be flawed!  Cromwell to Torksey is not that time critical and we have done that part last year, so leaving Cromwell around high tide at Cromwell is I think that we will do.  The recommendation with a NB is to leave Torksey for Keadby an hour after flood at Torksey, I think that makes it a bit more than an hour before high tide at Torksey, and with a 4 hour 30 min predicted trip that is supposed to give  plenty of time to get into Keadby.

No doubt the experts will be along, but that above is based advice from the lock keepers.

Thank you for sharing your experience regardless ?

I tend to share this chart when posts like this come up. If you buy a tidetable for hull then enables you to work things out on the Trent. There s a similar one for the Ouse...   

It shows the 2 hour gap between flood and high tide at Torksey, as referred to in the previous post. (Flood+1 = HW-1 = HW-Hull + 2:45). tidaltrent.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

2 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I tend to share this chart when posts like this come up. If you buy a tidetable for hull then enables you to work things out on the Trent. There s a similar one for the Ouse...   

It shows the 2 hour gap between flood and high tide at Torksey, as referred to in the previous post. (Flood+1 = HW-1 = HW-Hull + 2:45). tidaltrent.jpg

Yep I used that chart that you have posted before to translate relative to flood that CRT quote, to relative high water which I wanted to know so i understood what I was doing relative to punching/going with the tide.  

I found the Hull tide table online, and was happy that what the lock keepers were telling me seemed to tie in with them for Cromwell to Torksey on 26 June, and Torksey to Keadby on 27 June.  I will of course be talking to them both again the day before to make the booking, and get up to date times, and will talk to the keeper at Torksey when we get there (not planning to go through the lock at Torksey though).

• Greenie 1

With the demise of resident keepers on Torksey, Stockwith and Keadby I’d say your best advice will come from Cromwell regarding tide times etc. I’ve never had a maintenance man “off the bank” turn up in a pick up truck to pen me through there at least. Doesn’t inspire much confidence when they admit it’s not actually their job but they were in the area at the time! 

14 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

With the demise of resident keepers on Torksey, Stockwith and Keadby I’d say your best advice will come from Cromwell regarding tide times etc. I’ve never had a maintenance man “off the bank” turn up in a pick up truck to pen me through there at least. Doesn’t inspire much confidence when they admit it’s not actually their job but they were in the area at the time! 

We had that at Torksey - Lockie wouldn't let us thru until the gauge met the level he had been told, despite me telling him we could have got thru about 30 minutes earlier. Whilst talking to him I asked him what the 'grapnels' were doing in the back of the pick-up truck. He was a 'temp' who had been allocated bankside work and was dragging rubbish out of the Fossdyke, he got a call to go and work the lock and was given telephone instructions on what to do.

Combine that with having the lock gates closed on us at Nether Lock (Newark) & I would suggest that DYOR and where you can ignore the (alleged) lock-keepers.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We had that at Torksey - Lockie wouldn't let us thru until the gauge met the level he had been told, despite me telling him we could have got thru about 30 minutes earlier. Whilst talking to him I asked him what the 'grapnels' were doing in the back of the pick-up truck. He was a 'temp' who had been allocated bankside work and was dragging rubbish out of the Fossdyke, he got a call to go and work the lock and was given telephone instructions on what to do.

Combine that with having the lock gates closed on us at Nether Lock (Newark) & I would suggest that DYOR and where you can ignore the (alleged) lock-keepers.

Hello again Alan - thank you for your reply. Forgive my ignorance to these things DYOR?

Cheers

Dave

Excellent advice on pilotage and tides in the Humber, the Trent and the Yorkshire Ouse can be had from a retired commercial barge and tug skipper called Tony Dunkley on the Thunderboat forum.

9 hours ago, GHL said:

Excellent advice on pilotage and tides in the Humber, the Trent and the Yorkshire Ouse can be had from a retired commercial barge and tug skipper called Tony Dunkley on the Thunderboat forum.

If I was that Mr Dunkey bloke I’d get off Thunderboat (whatever that is) and onto his barge with a pump. It was looking very retired last weekend.

When I penned through Keadby lock last autumn, I think it must have been a resident lockie.  At almost 100 feet in length we were too long for the gates to be closed behind us.  We had to wait in the lock for maybe 15 to 20 minutes, for the height of the Trent to equalise the water in the lock pound.  The instructions were "as soon as the gates open, go for it" which is exactly what I did.  An experience I'm unlikely to have again but standing there at the helm, waiting for those gates, my heart was pounding.